Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Like 60 hours and 10 minutes soon.
Is there a countdown somewhere?

02-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually the Pentax trademark belongs to Hoya, including for photographic equipment (class 9 of the Nice classification). See the Global Brand Database of the World Intellectual Property Organization for further details:

WIPOGlobal Brand Database

There must be some licence agreement between Hoya and Ricoh allowing Ricoh to use the Pentax trademark for a certain period of time.
How must be read the page? If I put the Pentax name, I see 300 entries for the Pentax brand, most with Hoya as the older, but also Ricoh, and many other firms, including one Russian, even two Italians.
02-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #378
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
We have all answers very soon!
Kenspo,
Will we also have APS-C answers soon? I mean, answers, not "being researched" type info?
It does not matter to me anymore, because I went and bought a KP, but there's been spreading just tóó much confusion on what the place of the KP actually really is (I believe it to be the K3II successor), certainly now that a new APS-C camera is nowhere in sight.
It would be nice, if Pentax/Ricoh could offer some clarity on this, not for me so much, but I know there are others waiting, for whom the KP is not high end enough.

Perhaps you could let them know the confusion, and get them to offer some tangible anwers in their coming statements on the direction of APS-C.

Chris
02-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
How must be read the page? If I put the Pentax name, I see 300 entries for the Pentax brand, most with Hoya as the older, but also Ricoh, and many other firms, including one Russian, even two Italians.
You can use some filters:

- Status = Active or Pending
- Nice Cl. (class) = 9

The number of entries should go down to 106.

'Source' corresponds to the country in which the trademark is protected: AU = Australia, BH = Bahrain, CA = Canada, CH = Switzerland, CL = Chile, DE = Germany, DK = Danemark, EE = Estonia, EM = EUIPO = Europe and so on.

'Pentax' belongs to Hoya and, oddly enough, 'smc Pentax' belongs to Ricoh Imaging. So does 'PAIR Pentax Atmospheric Interference Reduction' (restricted to CCTV cameras and lenses).

02-19-2018, 04:27 AM - 9 Likes   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Kenspo,
Will we also have APS-C answers soon? I mean, answers, not "being researched" type info?
They are way over "being researched" I know a high end APS-C will come, I just can't tell exactly when
02-19-2018, 04:39 AM - 5 Likes   #381
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They are way over "being researched" I know a high end APS-C will come, I just can't tell exactly when
And that, my forum friends, is all we need to know about the APS-C model until it's announced...

Thank you, kenspo
02-19-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This reminds me of an old Canadian commercial promoting physical activity. The main jingle had a catchy line that applies." Don't just think about it. Do it. Do it. Do it."

02-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I guess you must have misread my comment. If you look at my signature line, it should give you a pretty good idea of how much I have invested in Pentax over the past 15 years.
Sorry, no I did not misread but I did misstype. I meant the generic 'people' not you specifically. There has been much discussion of the availability of cheap vintage glass being a plus for Pentax, which might be true but puts nothing in Ricoh's pocket. The only way we see new development is if Ricoh sees sales. Anyway, my apologies I was trying to multitask and failed.
02-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #384
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And that, my forum friends, is all we need to know about the APS-C model until it's announced...

Thank you, kenspo
So now that we know this, it's time to close this miserable "The New APS-C Flagship" thread.

Oh wait, this thread is about the K-1 Mk II. Isn't it? I just can't tell these threads apart.

(Indeed, thank you, kenspo.)
02-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, multiple threads about the same thing and two camera rumors at the same time and some threads getting closed.......... I am so confused I might have to go outside and take pictures.

I am also confused that there was not a rumor thread about the new 645 body. We should have had that mixed into the mess as well.
02-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK, folks... hands up, those that thought the FWC was determined by the photodiode? C'mon now, be honest... Those who thought photodiode, raise your hands... No?... Anyone?

I don't know, Ian... seems like you and... er... me are the only ones that really understand this, but nobody wants to admit it...

My hand is up but perhaps a visit to the headmaster might change things.

From what I just read in chapter 3 of this dissertation (download from Fundamental Characteristics of a Pinned Photodiode CMOS Pixels | TU Delft Repositories), it looks like FWC is a function of the photodiode because that determines both the capacitance of the system (the area of the photocharge storage zone is the area of the pixel) and the voltage (the pinning voltage for the emplanted photodiode). The source follower part of the circuit (which is really small and would have negligible capacitance) does not store the photocharge so much as regulate transfer or measurement of it.

But now I must admit to being a mechanical engineer who does not understand how electrons can go through solid metal. I know that total charge equals capacitance multiplied by voltage and it looks like both those terms are determined by the photodiode design. But I'm willing to learn otherwise.
02-19-2018, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
mechanical engineer who does not understand how electrons can go through solid metal
Just remember that all electrical devices operate on magic smoke. Take care not to let the smoke out and everything will be fine.
02-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just remember that all electrical devices operate on magic smoke. Take care not to let the smoke out and everything will be fine.
LOL! So true! And beware the NED (noise-emitting diode).
02-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #389
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
ONE

OK, time to do what John is going to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
.......... I am so confused I might have to go outside and take pictures.

The last half dozen pages have had little, if any discussion of the rumored specifications of the new K-1. And for the most part most of you have been nice, but it is clear the discussion is off the rails.

Time to move on.

02-19-2018, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
My hand is up but perhaps a visit to the headmaster might change things.

From what I just read in chapter 3 of this dissertation (download from Fundamental Characteristics of a Pinned Photodiode CMOS Pixels | TU Delft Repositories), it looks like FWC is a function of the photodiode because that determines both the capacitance of the system (the area of the photocharge storage zone is the area of the pixel) and the voltage (the pinning voltage for the emplanted photodiode). The source follower part of the circuit (which is really small and would have negligible capacitance) does not store the photocharge so much as regulate transfer or measurement of it.

But now I must admit to being a mechanical engineer who does not understand how electrons can go through solid metal. I know that total charge equals capacitance multiplied by voltage and it looks like both those terms are determined by the photodiode design. But I'm willing to learn otherwise.
This is why I have decided that I have no interest on how modern sensors work. I do understand how film works and have even made my own from scratch in a photo chemistry course (won a case of beer for making the best film. ISO near 100) and that is where I am leaving it off. For me, the Gurney-Mott Theory of Latent Image Formation is as far as I will ever go.
Closed Thread