Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #136
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No, but the K-1II allegedly supports more dancing angels. It's a hardware change, though, and won't be available as a firmware update for the K-1. Just in case anyone was about to ask...
I am holding out for dancing pixies and buttons whose lettering does not wear off in less than four years.

Steve

02-20-2018, 04:19 PM - 8 Likes   #137
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The problem is not that people are asking questions. The problem is that people aren't listening for the answers.
If they are listening to this and similar threads, the comment would be "Who are these nuts and how in the world did we get them as customers?"

Steve
02-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As for Fuji...multiple firmware patches are typically indicative of immature product at time of release.
I suppose some may look at it that way,but from my experience the most recent offerings from Fuji are highly capable from the get go.Kaizen firmware updates do tweak things up and make bodies even more capable.Fuji supports its bodies(where possible) right back to the initial ILCs released in 2012.
They look after their user base.
02-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The link in the first post shows the LCD with the following settings:

1/250
f/1.4
ISO400
Flash engaged

To me, that suggests a new shutter. If that also augurs well for the shutter shock issue, then happy days!

Sandy!....

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Probably nothing. I just snuck home and reproduced the same situation on my own K-1 with the DA*55 mounted

Given the K-1 has no onboard flash, what does that flash icon even mean anyway?

So I take back my wildly enthusiastic speculation....
... nevermind....

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My K-1 LCD has the flash icon in M Mode as well, and I manually set the shutter speed to 1/250, ISO 400 and f/2.8 (lowest available on 24-70) with no flash mounted. There is no Flash Off setting in Menu, only the Slow Sync, Red Eye options and EV +/- . In X Flash Sync Speed, my Menu setting is 1/160 / 1/180.

What am I missing?
Nothing, Pentaxians going mad I tell you... MAD!!

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
All cameras for promotion are Photoshoped.
^

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Translator software says:
"The main feature of "PENTAX K - 1 Mark II" to be announced this week will be Real Resolution System II with new accelerator unit installed and hand - held shooting mode added. #rumor"

If they throw in a couple of KP firmware things like maximum shutter time for auto ISO thats nice.
^ this. The KP has some real neat features that I gather can't be ported across to the K-1, if the K-1ii has these then that's pretty neat. I would also like to see Focus Stacking built in (like how Olympus have managed that).

02-20-2018, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not that it means anything, but these are identical images that have just the difference for the ii marking.

All things are identical...... The lens was a photoshop thing and not a real lens in the original K-1 image. Same photo is used for the K-1ii.
More likely, it means they are using the same molds for the rubber stuff.

My K-1 has the same "fingerprint" as these images but I don't think they took a picture of my K-1 for their marketing materials.
02-20-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #141
Site Supporter

The English have have always been very keen on gardening.
Ahh yes. But flowers.
You can’t eat flowers, sir.
Artichoke is pretty much a thistle flower bud.
02-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Come on..stop complaining They need a good FF to stay alive..They will come with a new high end APS-C as I've stated too many times! They dont have the capacity to do both at the same time, and certainly not when they also are producing lenses.

Pentax are and will be a small company, without the same possibilities to shoot out new cameras and lenses in the same tempo as others do. If you are unhappy, the easy choice is to switch brands. The door is right there --->

Dear Kenspo,

Information is asymmetrical here ; it is important that you guys who know more understand that not knowing is frustrating by definition. Although it is very aceptable for someone who has some gear that suits his/her current needs to keep waiting for months or years, it is much less acceptable for people who need to change. And the argument "door is right here" is weak especially when historical amounts invested in glass make any switch from hard to swallow to near impossible.
Knowing pentax has an high end apsc body under development is a light relief, having a timeframe would be much more helpful (I know you dont know and couldnt disclose it would you be aware of it). Pentax has its own logics that is likeable for some and less likeable for others ; whatever the context and size of a company, time to market is important and this non necessary wait for K3 III is at best awkward.

02-20-2018, 06:07 PM - 5 Likes   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strange that in the K-1II thread most of the posts seem to be whining about a mythical APS-C body. Granted there is not much K-1 II stuff to discuss. And any attempt by anyone to be happy about a K-1II is promptly squashed. But still, would it not be better for those that want to discuss the mythical k-3III start a "Why we want to buy a K-3III instead of a K-1II." thread?

Lots of posts here about Pentax (actually Ricoh not Pentax) failing to communicate. Yet, in the past they have announced (or even just mentioned) things that for some reason got delayed or never materialized. If you think the complaints over no communication are bad you should review the complaints caused by announcements of products that are delayed.

I honestly am not sure what folks are asking for here. Do Nikon or Canon publish a road map showing what and when they are releasing things over the next 24 months? If so can someone please point me to that, I'm curious about it.
02-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Dear Kenspo,

Information is asymmetrical here ; it is important that you guys who know more understand that not knowing is frustrating by definition. Although it is very aceptable for someone who has some gear that suits his/her current needs to keep waiting for months or years, it is much less acceptable for people who need to change. And the argument "door is right here" is weak especially when historical amounts invested in glass make any switch from hard to swallow to near impossible.
Knowing pentax has an high end apsc body under development is a light relief, having a timeframe would be much more helpful (I know you dont know and couldnt disclose it would you be aware of it). Pentax has its own logics that is likeable for some and less likeable for others ; whatever the context and size of a company, time to market is important and this non necessary wait for K3 III is at best awkward.
We don't know the cause of delay. Did the earthquake that affected sony chip manufacturing push it back? Are they trying to make a new AF module and are not there yet. Do they have enough stock of k3s to last to the replacement is ready. Until the k3 has sold out their line up does not technically have a hole in it.
02-20-2018, 06:25 PM - 6 Likes   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Strange that in the K-1II thread most of the posts seem to be whining about a mythical APS-C body. Granted there is not much K-1 II stuff to discuss. And any attempt by anyone to be happy about a K-1II is promptly squashed. But still, would it not be better for those that want to discuss the mythical k-3III start a "Why we want to buy a K-3III instead of a K-1II." thread?

Lots of posts here about Pentax (actually Ricoh not Pentax) failing to communicate. Yet, in the past they have announced (or even just mentioned) things that for some reason got delayed or never materialized. If you think the complaints over no communication are bad you should review the complaints caused by announcements of products that are delayed.

I honestly am not sure what folks are asking for here. Do Nikon or Canon publish a road map showing what and when they are releasing things over the next 24 months? If so can someone please point me to that, I'm curious about it.
There are three groups of people posting on these threads:
  1. People who post often, and are making the same complaints and demands they have made for years and years, ignoring all positive responses
  2. People who post rarely and are making the same complaints and demands as in 1. who haven’t read the positive responses
  3. People who respond positively to 1. and 2. , explaining what’s going on, often on several threads
Unfortunately 1. and 2. outnumber 3. by an order of magnitude and the 3. people can’t outshout back the 1. and 2. people

Last edited by monochrome; 02-20-2018 at 06:31 PM.
02-20-2018, 06:36 PM - 2 Likes   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately 1. and 2. outnumber 3. by an order of magnitude and the 3. people can’t hold back the critics
Image of finger in the dike with water spurting?

I do not understand the current pessimism. Ricoh has rumored that they will make a new gear announcement soon. What on earth is 'bad' about that. It should be cause for celebration. The opposite of that would be perhaps Ricoh announcing they are closing Pentax. Based on history here that post would probably get positive comments. <sarc>.

So what if it is not exactly what unrealistic hopes dreamed up? IT IS NEW GEAR. The alternative is NO NEW GEAR. And perhaps some who have not been here that long do not realize how close we all were to NO NEW GEAR. Not all that long ago the speculation on this forum was not if but when Pentax would close and which body to grab before they were all gone.
02-20-2018, 06:37 PM - 6 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

Methinks Pentax will commit to an a exact camera release-date as soon as all camera buyers commit an exact camera purchase-date.

The information is asymmetrical on both sides -- neither side knows when a new camera launch or new camera purchase is coming and yet both sides would dearly love to have this information for planning & investment purposes.
02-20-2018, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Methinks Pentax will commit to an a exact camera release-date as soon as all camera buyers commit an exact camera purchase-date.
ROFL. You made laugh out loud. Thank you!

Perhaps Pentax should start a Kickstarter campaign. You want a new xyz? Sure, put your money down right here. When we have enough buyers we will build it.
02-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Dear Kenspo,
this non necessary wait for K3 III is at best awkward.
How do you know it is not necessary?
02-20-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Image of finger in the dike with water spurting?

I do not understand the current pessimism. Ricoh has rumored that they will make a new gear announcement soon. What on earth is 'bad' about that. It should be cause for celebration. The opposite of that would be perhaps Ricoh announcing they are closing Pentax. Based on history here that post would probably get positive comments. <sarc>.

So what if it is not exactly what unrealistic hopes dreamed up? IT IS NEW GEAR. The alternative is NO NEW GEAR. And perhaps some who have not been here that long do not realize how close we all were to NO NEW GEAR. Not all that long ago the speculation on this forum was not if but when Pentax would close and which body to grab before they were all gone.
Exactly!

Worse, they don't seem to comprehend the immense value of what the K-1ii might offer if it manages a 1 EV improvement in ISO noise over the K-1 by using technology from the KP.

There's another thread where someone was complaining that they weren't getting enough keepers with a K-3 & f/1.4 lens which they said they were forced to use in low-light. But the K-1ii will probably be 2 EV better than the K-3 which implies they could boost the ISO by two stops and narrow the aperture by two stops for many more keepers in many situations. Similarly, better SR often enables a slower shutter speed (and narrower aperture) which reduces the stress of AF system performance.

From the standpoint of many kinds of photography (admittedly not all), a 1 stop improvement in ISO-noise is like getting a stop extra light from every lens you own. And the same often applies to SR although that has more limitations due to subject motion.