Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 04:30 PM - 3 Likes   #256
Veteran Member

Those expecting cheap K1-I s would be available soon must be frustrated now!

---------- Post added 02-22-2018 at 12:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Wonderful lateral thinking by Pentax ... basically selling the new model to existing owners, by compromise.

A niche camera maker has to be inventive like that, well done!
I have to say I also like this different business model though I am not a FF client. It shows unusual attention to these high end customers that bought K1 beforehand.

02-21-2018, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was completely sure I would NOT be buying the K-1 mkII as I'm happy with the K-1 itself. So Ricoh offers to upgrade me to the new model. Now what?

I think I'll wait and see what the new features bring, but this upgrade path has moved me from NO to MAYBE.
02-21-2018, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, just getting wind of all this, without reading the entire thread can someone tell me what the Mark II has over the original K-1? Just briefly looking I saw 'Dynamic Pixel Shift' meaning handheld. Hmm... I dunno about that, I mean for me Landscape and tripod go hand in hand, from HDRing to long exposures of clouds or water I'm not sure why I'd need to Pixel Shift 'by hand' and I'm a little dubious on what the results would be. However of course I am happy to be proven wrong.

I also saw (briefly) a lot of talk about folk moaning about a new K3 taking forever to materialise. I have to say I find Pentax's lineup a little confusing, like... K-50/K-70 (budget options), K2, K5, K3 and KP... isn't this a lot of APS-C camera models to be churning out? KP came out what... last year? Shouldn't those wanting something better than their K-5's, K-2's K-3's just get that? What am I missing here?
Really I woulda thought Pentax focus on 3 cameras, a budget APS-C, a premium APS-C and a FF. Keep it simple no?

Wrote to Pentax.com.au to see if they too are rolling out a K-1 upgrade, I imagine the cost will be close to $1000AUD... :/
02-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yeah, but you'll have to use a Sharpie marker to add the "II" labelling

EDIT: Maybe they include a Sharpie marker??
I doubt they would get that cheap. Probably just a little adhesive backed sticker that says "II".....lol

02-21-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
can someone tell me what the Mark II has over the original K-1
All I see is the hardware for the accelerator chip. What they do with that chip is going to be the interesting thing. Better high ISO, dynamic pixel shift are what they are stating but I wonder what else the chip can do. I think it best to wait and see what the first reviews say.

Regardless of whether I buy one or upgrade my k-1 or neither this is a good day for Pentax. New technology no one else has, and a second FF body on the market.
02-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
All I see is the hardware for the accelerator chip. What they do with that chip is going to be the interesting thing. Better high ISO, dynamic pixel shift are what they are stating but I wonder what else the chip can do. I think it best to wait and see what the first reviews say.
That chip has been in the KP for a year; we should know by now what they're doing with it, because I'm sure they've been using the KP to try it before putting it in the 'higher' camera.
02-21-2018, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That chip has been in the KP for a year; we should know by now what they're doing with it, because I'm sure they've been using the KP to try it before putting it in the 'higher' camera.
And as a K-1 and KP owner I see little reason to upgrade. Sure the KP has some nice additional benefits the K-1 doesn't have, but because I already own a KP I don't feel I necessarily need those benefits repeated twice.

In fact I would argue that those who own a K-1 and are looking for a backup second body... perhaps put the upgrade money for the mark II towards a KP

02-21-2018, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
True enough. They do state that this is version 3 of the accelerator chip though. And the KP did not have dynamic pixel shift did it?
02-21-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #264
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was completely sure I would NOT be buying the K-1 mkII as I'm happy with the K-1 itself. So Ricoh offers to upgrade me to the new model. Now what?

I think I'll wait and see what the new features bring, but this upgrade path has moved me from NO to MAYBE.
I think that this will likely move me to YES. Handheld is my normal mode.
Of course, I'll check out the actual, in the field, improvements of the mkII.

Kudos to Ricoh for offering this useful upgrade.
02-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #265
Veteran Member

It will also take any moving objects while using PS and only leave it in one of the four images used to create a PS image. That way, no blurry ghosts in your tourist area landscapes!
02-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
It will also take any moving objects while using PS and only leave it in one of the four images used to create a PS image. That way, no blurry ghosts in your tourist area landscapes!
We can do that currently can we not, just that we rely on a tripod for the PS shot? Or is this a new improved version of PS (more than handheld I mean)?
02-21-2018, 08:08 PM - 3 Likes   #267
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really I woulda thought Pentax focus on 3 cameras, a budget APS-C, a premium APS-C and a FF. Keep it simple no?
You're forgetting the 645Z, Bruce.

All companies seem to be shifting to premium and cutting their losses at entry level, Pentax is the only one that does APS-C, FF and MF.

Their modelling may show it's best to concentrate on FF, MF and premium APS-C.

If so, a successor to the K-3 II would be of more priority than a followup to the K-70.

It's a dicey situation, because while you extract more out of fewer buyers, you lose economies of scale.

On the other hand, chasing market share at the low end almost killed Nikon, why emulate them when they had bigger sales and mind share?
02-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're forgetting the 645Z, Bruce.

All companies seem to be shifting to premium and cutting their losses at entry level, Pentax is the only one that does APS-C, FF and MF.

Their modelling may show it's best to concentrate on FF, MF and premium APS-C.

If so, a successor to the K-3 II would be of more priority than a followup to the K-70.

It's a dicey situation, because while you extract more out of fewer buyers, you lose economies of scale.

On the other hand, chasing market share at the low end almost killed Nikon, why emulate them when they had bigger sales and mind share?
Trudat.

Pentax.com.au got back to me, they indeed will also be rolling out the K-1 upgrade service, 'details and pricing will be release at a later date.'

I'm sure it will have a similar window of opportunity that the USA are running, I'll wait for some reviews of the Mark II and likely jump on the offer towards the end date (should funds allow). I really hope it stays around the same figure as USD but in AUD!
02-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #269
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Trudat.

Pentax.com.au got back to me, they indeed will also be rolling out the K-1 upgrade service, 'details and pricing will be release at a later date.'

I'm sure it will have a similar window of opportunity that the USA are running, I'll wait for some reviews of the Mark II and likely jump on the offer towards the end date (should funds allow). I really hope it stays around the same figure as USD but in AUD!
Don't hold your breath, mate. That would be asking CRK to be financially incompetent ... ignoring exchange rates and GST for starters!

02-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #270
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is excellent news!
Thanks for making the enquiry, and passing on the response.

At least one of my K-1's will be upgraded before my trip to Antarctica