Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 07:02 PM - 4 Likes   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
How do you know it is not necessary?
+10
If it wasn't 'necessary' then it would already be released.

Believe it or not there is a sound business or engineering reason behind everything Ricoh does. You might not agree with it, you might have made a different decision. But the people with all the information and the responsibility to make that decision made one based on what they felt at that moment was best for Ricoh.

Believe it or not they DID NOT do it just to make people on the internet mad.

* 'you' being the generic "people who are complaining"

Last edited by jatrax; 02-20-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: clarification
02-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
How do you know it is not necessary?
It isn’t necessary because it isn’t what the Poster wants.
02-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Strange that in the K-1II thread most of the posts seem to be whining about a mythical APS-C body. Granted there is not much K-1 II stuff to discuss. And any attempt by anyone to be happy about a K-1II is promptly squashed. But still, would it not be better for those that want to discuss the mythical k-3III start a "Why we want to buy a K-3III instead of a K-1II." thread?
When I first joined here, there was a strong "we need FF camera so our old lenses can be themselves" under-current, but I'm guessing the truth was that most actual users were like me; for reasons of recent history, my most useful lenses are DA lenses, so APS cameras are most useful to me. Unlike many APS users, though, the KP meets my needs {with the exception of my need for enough $$$ to put a KP in my closet}. So this topic is of interest to many of us, but nagging in the background is the thought "But spending my money, will require something else"
02-20-2018, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But spending my money, will require something else
I agree with that. I have the K-1 and the K-3II. No matter how good the K-1 mkII is I have no intention of 'upgrading'. The K-1 is already doing an excellent job for me. I will at some point replace the K-3II but that is likely 2 or more years out unless disaster occurs.

At this point both my cameras far exceed my abilities. When that changes I will change gear.

02-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #155
Veteran Member

If the specs are correct..the buffer for RAW is the same as K1 (about 12 shots!!) even with a new processor..so still a landscape camera..
02-20-2018, 09:11 PM - 5 Likes   #156
Pentaxian

Shouldn't a company be required to release a model on the same day as a rumour is started and with the same specs as the rumour speculates?
02-20-2018, 09:29 PM - 4 Likes   #157
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Shouldn't a company be required to release a model on the same day as a rumour is started and with the same specs as the rumour speculates?
Yep, RRC,I think hair-pullers, mouth frothers and nailbiters should at least act on a genuine Ricoh press announcement than a rumour.

No wonder Ricoh no longer have an 'Ask a question' thread here, and the brand/distributor ambassadors Kenspo and Kerrick James stay away as much as possible.

It's not as bad as DPR, but anyone genuinely involved with Tokyo's decision making will of course commission their own market research (mostly in Japan, I assume) and keep clear of our forum and this group of contradictory gaijins!

I've both done and contributed to market research, and what you do to the vocal minority with a particular axe to grind in your sample ('Must have 4k video or I'm jumping off a cliff', 'Where's the 180mm f0.95 prime?') is ignore them, they're outliers, they'll distort the actual majority view.

Last edited by clackers; 02-20-2018 at 10:14 PM.
02-20-2018, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #158
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Although it is very aceptable for someone who has some gear that suits his/her current needs to keep waiting for months or years, it is much less acceptable for people who need to change. And the argument "door is right here" is weak especially when historical amounts invested in glass make any switch from hard to swallow to near impossible.
It is always tragic to invest heavily in a system before realizing that the gear will not suit one's needs. Sometimes it happens due to lack of pre-purchase market research. Other times it happens as one's interests and skills develop in directions beyond what the chosen brand's products are able to deliver. In both cases, a change of system is much more likely to bring relief than waiting for a desired feature to make its way into the brand's ecosystem.

The sad thing is that it is that much of the time the frustrated user cannot shoulder the expense of changing brands or purchasing a new camera with the desired feature mix should it become available tomorrow. The best they can hope is that when the magic camera is finally announced finances may allow for the purchase. Along with the frustration of the wait is the angst that either the company may fail (who will be first...Pentax, Olympus, or Nikon?) or that the desired capabilities may never aggregate into the mix to satisfy all desires.

In regards to that last sentence, the cruel aspect to the suggestion of changing brands is that the desired mix of features and capabilities may not exist in any available system regardless of price and that the person making the suggestion knows this to be the case. At some time, I may compile a list of "MUST offer" features and then go in search of that perfect camera as a series of articles or blog posts. I suspect the search may be a short one.

Steve
02-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #159
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Methinks Pentax will commit to an a exact camera release-date as soon as all camera buyers commit an exact camera purchase-date.
ROFL. You made laugh out loud. Thank you!
Laugh out loud nothing! It took me 20 minutes to get back up on my chair to type this. ROFL!

Perhaps Pentax should start a Kickstarter campaign. You want a new xyz? Sure, put your money down right here. When we have enough buyers we will build it.
Ha! Ha! I have supported two Kickstarter campaigns. The first was for a hand-powered coffee grinder (Handground Precision Coffee Grinder - Better Grind, More Flavor). They missed promised delivery by almost two years after they made target. The second was for the rebirth of Film Ferrania. I don't know if I will ever see the promised premium (slide film) and I don't know how many years and how many backhoe splices it has been since the promised delivery date (FILM Ferrania).

Steve
02-20-2018, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I keep hearing in my head, as I read these threads, "What have the romans ever done for us?" Spoken by Rege in Life of Brian.
02-20-2018, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

I want the K-1 Mark 2 to be good enough that many upgrade to it so I can buy a used K-1 at a reasonable price. That's been my plan now for almost five years and though I wasn't expecting it to be this year I'm hopeful. My K-5 has been a good camera and still is but I want the full effect of my wider lenses without the limitations of film.
02-20-2018, 10:05 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@stevebrot We are a consumption culture. We seek not what we need but the best consumption value. We rate, rank, sort, score and declare the BEST, which all buyers seek but few buyers can afford. Consumer items become tokens our culture uses to rank and sort us by our ‘wearing’ of the tokens. Our consumer goods take on a signaling status that marketing exploits. People are personally offended when their identity signaling token isn’t BEST. They are affronted and demand recompense.

Unfortunately in the progression Good, Better, Best we don’t all agree on what constitutes Good so we can never agree on Best. IMO that conflict is the root cause of Pentax unhappiness. People don’t want Pentax to be Better as Pentax defines Good. They want Pentax to be Better as they define Good (or as some rating, ranking and scoring website defines Good). They want to status signal a way Pentax doesn’t at this time.

Consequently, though I personally prefer Pentax cameras (Pentax is Best for me) others feel if Pentax doesn’t improve (name your feature failure) to meet features of another brand (that I rejected), PentaxIsDoomed. After a time I have to wonder if I am in some way benighted - or do I dare to be different?

I do tire of the constancy of it.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-20-2018 at 10:14 PM.
02-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
So someone, anyone, could start a rumor that tomorrow Pentax will release a FF camera with AF faster and more accurate than the Nikon D500, with 20fps burst, 100 image buffer, DxOMark score of 110, priced at $700??
02-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So someone, anyone, could start a rumor that tomorrow Pentax will release a FF camera with AF faster and more accurate than the Nikon D500, with 20fps burst, 100 image buffer, DxOMark score of 110, priced at $700??
No. DxOMark score of 1100 as I heard.
02-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
If the specs are correct..the buffer for RAW is the same as K1 (about 12 shots!!) even with a new processor..so still a landscape camera..
Ummm.....did I miss somewhere that it really was something else ? I never thought of the K-1 as anything other than a Great landscape and general photography camera.
The flash system pretty much sucks on any Pentax , right along with mediocre autofocus issues at best , somewhat lagging video. That right there doesn't warrant a very large buffer as it wasn't really designed for much more......or was it ?
I have only had my buffer loaded up a couple times and it wasn't a big deal.
We just need to Feng Shui this Baby....!

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 02-20-2018 at 10:33 PM.