Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

SR II on K-1 MKII will offer Dynamic (handheld) Pixel Shift Resolution

Just read over on pentaxrumors.com that the new SR II on the K-1 II will actually enable the handheld use of Pixel Shift. If true this is awesome news and something the competition doesn’t offer (yet).

It‘s some awesome tech. It doesn’t move the sensor by one pixel as on the first version when using a tripod but actually detects the handheld shake of the camera to capture the four images needed for the final image.

The upcoming Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR camera will have an upgraded version of the Pixel Shift Resolution feature (SRII) | Pentax Rumors

Last edited by alpheios; 02-20-2018 at 02:48 AM.
02-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it's work as intended, it's going to be pretty huge.
02-20-2018, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will make the K1ii a macro monster!!!!
02-20-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I think it will be something like Google HDR+ with resolution boost. It says using a tripod still increases the final resolution. I'am really curious what can it do hand held and what software will support it.

02-20-2018, 03:50 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
hope they will offer a firmwareupdate for the K-1 to get this feature too!
02-20-2018, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
I guess the AU and new SR might be limiting the software trickle-down possibilities to previous models.
In the end, this is why it's called Mk II.

I guess (edit: predict) a battle arises between those unhappy that not enough hardware changes were made to allow them to call it Mk II and those unhappy that too many might have been made to not allow it beeing implemented in K1 firmware :-)

But on another note, the KP hasn't got a firmware update yet and it should carry all hardware prerequisites...maybe?

Last edited by MMVIII; 02-20-2018 at 04:45 AM.
02-20-2018, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
i doubt it can be made to work on the K1 with firmware alone. Anyway, why would they spoil the market for the K1 II by doing that ?

02-20-2018, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would think the hand held version could be added to the K-1 firmware if Pentax desires. I don't think it would really hurt Pentax K-1 II sales to do that as the bigger things are going to come with a different SR unit and the accelerator chip.
02-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
i doubt it can be made to work on the K1 with firmware alone. Anyway, why would they spoil the market for the K1 II by doing that ?
Not to anger current owners? I doubt many will upgrade only because of this, while angering them "just because" may cost them more in the long than the few upgrade sales they'd miss? (I know a bit of work would be involved and not completely free to backport to the K1 even if already done for the mk2, but we're talking about the first FF flagship, a bit better support over time is expected than for example for the K70)

About not being possible, I'm not following you guys, if it works as op says "It doesn’t move the sensor by one pixel as on the first version when using a tripod but actually detects the handheld shake of the camera to capture the four images needed for the final image." there doesn't seem to be anything here the K1 couldn't do as well (apart from firmware)? (It can detect handshake on the pixel level, it can move the sensor with that precision too, and it can do PS..?)
02-20-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

All that's needed is a small hardware change - perhaps a new gyro detector, or a slightly altered SR mechanism - to prevent this feature from working on the K-1. So far evolutions on the SR - the AA simulator, Pixel Shift, 5-axis SR - were made through hardware changes.
I'd like if this isn't the case, and we'll get it through a firmware update. But I'm afraid it might be.
02-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
All that's needed is a small hardware change - perhaps a new gyro detector, or a slightly altered SR mechanism - to prevent this feature from working on the K-1. So far evolutions on the SR - the AA simulator, Pixel Shift, 5-axis SR - were made through hardware changes.
I'd like if this isn't the case, and we'll get it through a firmware update. But I'm afraid it might be.
But why is a hardware change needed, doesn't both sensors and actuators already have pixel-level accuracy?
02-20-2018, 04:44 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would think the hand held version could be added to the K-1 firmware if Pentax desires. (...)
Not if it needs the increased computing power brought by the accelerator unit.
02-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
But why is a hardware change needed, doesn't both sensors and actuators already have pixel-level accuracy?
We shouldn't assume that something works before it provably does.
02-20-2018, 05:45 AM - 7 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Anyway, why would they spoil the market for the K1 II by doing that ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Not to anger current owners?
We've had numerous people complaining that the K-1II leaked specs are unimpressive, and too close to the original K-1. Yet here's a potentially impressive new feature and we now want Pentax to retro-fit it to the K-1, making the two models even closer in specification?

K-1 owners knew the functionality they were buying, and - depending on when they bought their cameras - they've already had up to two years to enjoy that functionality. They didn't buy a feature upgrade plan.

For the very few that really need and can't do without this new feature, they can upgrade.
02-20-2018, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is very clever. So instead of SR just compensating for shake and then moving by one pixel, it will have a smarter SR compensation for PS. That way, PS will not "fight" against the hand shaking, but will instead calculate how much movement is needed to get sharpest results. How effective this will be is yet to be seen, but the theory is great
A sturdy tripod with 2 sec timer and remote control will still give you the best results (with PS and good light and good lens, of course), but this rumour shows that Pentax is really developing their technology. Good news for the brand