Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2018, 02:35 PM - 11 Likes   #61
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
am i the only person handholding ps on the k-1? maybe with next version we can use flash
I'm just waiting for the first complaints that the new PS doesn't work for sports and birds in flight.

Trust me, it'll happen...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.
02-20-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It does not remove the core problem - something in the environment moves.
I really don't understand why people go on about this. Using decent software all that happens is that the moving object has a bit more noise and a bit less resolution. When it's a small part of the frame it makes no difference and is quite hard to detect.
02-20-2018, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Not long until you will get all your answers!
Thats GREAT news!

---------- Post added 02-21-18 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
the new PS doesn't work for sports and birds in flight.
It wont?...cancelling my pre order then!
02-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #64
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
It does not take a whole lot of effort to completely ruin a PS exposure with K-1. It sounds very dubious at best that handholding would work. It does not remove the core problem - something in the environment moves. This sounds like trying to convince users that IBIS removes subject shake.
I suspect it's primarily designed for hand-held capture of static scenes with no moving subjects. If you think about it, how could it really be for anything else?? In that sense, there's no "core problem" - instead, there's a realistically limited use-case for the feature...

02-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Don't get your hopes up on this.

I remain a skeptic that hand held pixel shift is possible.
Its one pixel pitch we are talking about here.
02-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

It apparently uses the natural motions of the hands coupled with the gyro and accelerometer to take several images. It isn’t PixelShift per se. Rather it is (apparently) Enhanced Resolution.
02-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
isn’t PixelShift per se. Rather it is (apparently) Enhanced Resolution.
So its only imitation Pixel Shift,oh dear!

Whatever it is, CaNikOny wont have it and it can be a marketing strategy for RI...Marketing??...I'd like to see THAT!

02-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So its only imitation Pixel Shift,oh dear!

Whatever it is, CaNikOny wont have it and it can be a marketing strategy for RI...Marketing??...I'd like to see THAT!
But it is HANDHELD!!!!
02-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #69
Veteran Member

It seems likely that it would be a system of processing where it increases the spacial resolution of an image by combining the data of multiple sequentially captured images. I.E super resolution there are plenty of patents for this if you search for it.

Super-resolution imaging - Wikipedia
02-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #70
Pentaxian

It apparently uses the natural motions of the hands coupled with the gyro and accelerometer to take several images. It isn’t PixelShift per se. Rather it is (apparently) Enhanced Resolution.
Ah.... ok..
I think Olympus uses this as well as having seen a Youtube video doing this on an A7 manually.

That took many many frames....
02-20-2018, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

But it is HANDHELD!!!!
Yes,looking forward to the frothing when its actually official! ha ha.I think for the K-1s strong points this feature will make it distinct in the market.I hope its as big success for RI.
02-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If PS is no longer moving the sensor , then that implies that the Astro mode (which also requires movement of the sensor) can now work with Pixel Shift. That sounds like the K1ii now might permit pixel shift Astro mode. That would be very nice .....

02-21-2018, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

It won't do the same thing. I have had these arguments with Canon/Nikon shooters. They say that you can take 10 photos hand held and use software in post to produce "super resolution" images. My guess is that this technique is just going to be used in-camera with the K-1 II. I do remain skeptical about how well it works in real world applications. To me, the traditional pixel shift is more useful and will be my go-to when I have a tripod with me.

A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
02-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... the new PS doesn't work for sports and birds in flight.
No K1ii for me then
02-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I really don't understand why people go on about this.
Hmm so, I took hundreds of technically 99.9% perfect PS exposures with my K-1 bodies and about same number of duds because the whole exposure is practically messed up with even minor wind or light change. Result is always horrible grid artifact mess. No algorithm fixes that or then it is some kind of AI aided image synthesis. And even if one fixes faulty spots in PS image it kind of loses its purpose - to produce huge image with maximum details for large print. It looks incredibly stupid when large print has partially high micro contrast and low resolution spots here and there.

Real improvements for K-1 MK2 would have been

1) ISO64
2) Real backlit buttons like Nikon D4/D5
3) OVF shutter piece instead of that plastic black cover which falls off when wind blows at right angle