Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
I'll most likely get flamed for this post, but I'm disappointed nothing more was done about more AF points and a speed increase in that AF.

Perhaps it's my inexperience compared to others although I think that also can be helpful in analysis because I'm looking at at differently.

ie. Why does Nikon have so many AF and it's so fast? Pure question. What is different in the technology that they can do it faster, but Ricoh can't? Or maybe Ricoh just won't?

Also, no 4K video? I find that lacking. I mean, the video on my K3 sucks unless I'm completely 100% stable and non moving. Anything hand held brings the jello effect to video. It's terrible.

4.4 fps - what? WHAT?! Again, how can other brands have 10fps on a ff, but not Ricoh?
Now, perhaps Ricoh is marketing towards non fast action type of shooters? Am I maybe just too inexperienced to think 4.4fps isn't a bad thing?

I love the speed of my K3. 7fps is pretty sweet, but I do find the AF isn't as fast as I think it could be at times. Yes, I did make some recommended changes to the camera set up per the "perfect focus everytime" thread by Wired (a great help!)
An increase in buffer would be nice too.

I've been looking at the Nikon D850. It just seems like a fantastic piece of equipment. I was hoping the K1 II would rival it.

I do understand that the K1 II has some remarkable features others don't. One thing I LOVE about my K3 is the WR. Being able to stay out in the snow or rain (I live in Canada) is a great peace of mind. I don't do it all the time, but when it's precipitating out, I don't let it stop me

Maybe I'm faulty for comparing the more expensive D850? ie. is the D850 in a different class of camera like my K3 isn't comparable to a K1?

Try not to flame me too bad. I'm not hating on Ricoh....more or less trying to understand if I'm right to be not be enthusiastic about the update.

Also, any idea when a new K3 II successor might be announced? I heard maybe the fall? If a K3 III (or whatever the naming convention would be) has 4K , 7 or more fps and better AF, I might be all over it as well.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian we have currently reached a technological choke point in both IQ and data processing. High res sensors have slower frame rates then their 24mp cousins. Then videos requirements create problems for sensors including overheating and increased noise from contast af pixels. Considering a DSLR is the worst platform for videography, i much prefer that pentax improved the primary function of said tool rather than focusing on additional functionality that can be better achieved with another tool.

02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll most likely get flamed for this post, but I'm disappointed nothing more was done about more AF points and a speed increase in that AF.

Perhaps it's my inexperience compared to others although I think that also can be helpful in analysis because I'm looking at at differently.

ie. Why does Nikon have so many AF and it's so fast? Pure question. What is different in the technology that they can do it faster, but Ricoh can't? Or maybe Ricoh just won't? edited: I did re-read Ricoh's announcement and they said the AF Tracking algorithm has been revised to improve tracking accuracy of fast moving subjects.

Also, no 4K video? I find that lacking. I mean, the video on my K3 sucks unless I'm completely 100% stable and non moving. Anything hand held brings the jello effect to video. It's terrible.

4.4 fps - what? WHAT?! Again, how can other brands have 10fps on a ff, but not Ricoh?
Now, perhaps Ricoh is marketing towards non fast action type of shooters? Am I maybe just too inexperienced to think 4.4fps isn't a bad thing?

I love the speed of my K3. 7fps is pretty sweet, but I do find the AF isn't as fast as I think it could be at times. Yes, I did make some recommended changes to the camera set up per the "perfect focus everytime" thread by Wired (a great help!)

I've been looking at the Nikon D850. It just seems like a fantastic piece of equipment. I was hoping the K1 II would rival it.

I do understand that the K1 II has some remarkable features others don't. One thing I LOVE about my K3 is the WR. Being able to stay out in the snow or rain (I live in Canada) is a great peace of mind. I don't do it all the time, but when it's precipitating out, I don't let it stop me

Maybe I'm faulty for comparing the more expensive D850? ie. is the D850 in a different class of camera like my K3 isn't comparable to a K1?

Try not to flame me too bad. I'm not hating on Ricoh....more or less trying to understand if I'm right to be not be enthusiastic about the update.

Also, any idea when a new K3 II successor might be announced? I heard maybe the fall? If a K3 III (or whatever the naming convention would be) has 4K , 7 or more fps and better AF, I might be all over it as well.

Cheers,
Brian
Keep in mind the DFA lenses that have come and upcoming DFA50 and 85, also think of DA * 11-18 for APS.
I think it indicates an upcoming K3III and maybe a K1S developed with the new K3an.
A faster / hotter K1a with the same body for 500-1000 $ more.
02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've never bought a MkII model. No K-5ii, no K-3ii.
I agree with you - mostly the Mark II versions are better in enough ways. I have the Pentax ME, but wish I had the Super version that followed it. I have the K100d Super, which I'm very glad to have over the K100d. I have K5, but wish (used to wish) I had the K5IIS. I haven't followed the K-1 upgrade conversation, but how much room is left to improve it? I thought it was pretty darn special coming out of the gate as it was.
02-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I agree with you - mostly the Mark II versions are better in enough ways. I have the Pentax ME, but wish I had the Super version that followed it. I have the K100d Super, which I'm very glad to have over the K100d. I have K5, but wish (used to wish) I had the K5IIS. I haven't followed the K-1 upgrade conversation, but how much room is left to improve it? I thought it was pretty darn special coming out of the gate as it was.
I would like to go another way, buy mk-II due to a lot of improvements

02-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Excuse my ignorance Brian, but who does 10fps? I know the D850 is 7fps. I do agree with you as for the buffer.
In my view though, 4k or 8k video makes no difference if you never shoot video.
I have never had a problem with Pentax DSLR AF, but that's just me. Lots of people seem to have complaints and I don't understand why.

I'm sure the D850 is a lovely camera but it's also $3,300.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for clarifying - I was wrong - the D850 does 7 on the body only and 9 with the grip.

For the AF, I've wondered if I'm crazy or not because more often than not, I've found the AF doesn't lock the target as fast I would I like. Now, I also haven't shot other brands so I've got nothing to compare it with. I have read other articles where different shooters using both a Pentax or Nikon/Canon seem to lock in quicker. Or maybe my expectations are just overblown....that's possible.

I would definitely do more video if my K3 was better at it. I'm hoping that these DSLRs can somewhat replace a camcorder for certain situations (nothing professional).

Cheers,
Brian
02-21-2018, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's a $3300 camera!
Actually the FF DSLRs capable of reaching (and exceeding) 10fps are more like $5500-6500.
The $3300 camera can only do 7fps by default, and 9fps if you add the battery pack and a special battery. And a charger for that battery. I guess that makes about $4000?
02-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Brian we have currently reached a technological choke point in both IQ and data processing. High res sensors have slower frame rates then their 24mp cousins. Then videos requirements create problems for sensors including overheating and increased noise from contast af pixels. Considering a DSLR is the worst platform for videography, i much prefer that pentax improved the primary function of said tool rather than focusing on additional functionality that can be better achieved with another tool.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the technical info. That makes sense regarding video. I hadn't considered that.
02-21-2018, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

ie. Why does Nikon have so many AF and it's so fast? Pure question. What is different in the technology that they can do it faster, but Ricoh can't? Or maybe Ricoh just won't? edited: I did re-read Ricoh's announcement and they said the AF Tracking algorithm has been revised to improve tracking accuracy of fast moving subjects.

Cheers,
Brian
It's not a matter of different class of camera (although it should not be surprising if the specs on a camera that is 50% more expensive weren't higher) it's a matter of completely different priorities.

For some (like me), the Nikon D850 is a costly UNDERPERFORMER. It has no IBIS, no software controlled antialiasing, no horizon leveling, no composition adjustment, no pixel shift, no astrotracer. For some (like me), 4k video is worthless, more AF points would actually make the camera harder to use, and higher FPS just means more work going through superfluous images.

The different camera makers don't compete head-to-head to see who can pack in the highest specs at the lowest cost (which is a fool's game in business), they target different markets.

02-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Here is something for those of you who have a K-1.

You can upgrade your K-1 to a K-1ii for $550 US

Ricoh announces an upgrade service for current PENTAX K-1 consumers

Not sure if worth it.

FYI, Sites are now going up with the K-1ii.
I wouldn't let Precision anywhere near my K-1 !
02-21-2018, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You answered your own question, Brian.

That's a $3300 camera!

I mean, I'd like to up that and get the IQ of a Pentax 645Z, but I sure can't afford that either!
Hi Clackers,

YES! I did. I was wondering if I was making a mistake comparing them lol

Cheers,
Brian
02-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #71
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Let the fun begin!!

With a free grip

Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only) 15994 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by Ray Cox; 02-21-2018 at 05:56 PM.
02-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Huh, all the grumbling on the other threads about the ii specs being a joke and no way gonna upgrade now all the enthusiasm over a $550 upgrade. Go figure.

Ricoh Imaging Japan/Global site as of this moment still does not have the announcement nor does the UK Ricoh Imaging site. Perhaps the mk II is targeted mostly for North America and Canada?
02-21-2018, 05:50 PM - 3 Likes   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that is possible on both points.

Why does Nikon have so many AF and it's so fast?
They developed the tech some years back and the patents have not yet expired.

Also, no 4K video? I find that lacking.
Buy a Lumix. I am not being dismissive. If you want a combined stills/video camera with outstanding video and competent stills performance, Panasonic is undisputed in that role. If you want a 4K on a dSLR, it is available, though finding the sweet spot of price, bulk, stills performance, codec, and bit rate might be a challenge.

I don't know who offers better than 7 fps at 36 Mpx FF in a dSLR (the Sony A99 II is technically not a reflex camera). That being said, 7 fps would be sort of nice, though I never use burst mode on my K-3 unless I am doing sports or birds/wildlife and I would not generally shoot either with a FF camera (too much lens needed). Put more succinctly, I would not buy a FF dSLR for exposure rate.

It is a very decent product. My brother has a D810 (direct competition to the K-1) and it is impressive. The K-1 II is an incremental release, similar to what was done with the K-5 --> K-5 II. The bodies and basic package remained the same with a few significant changes under the skin that made the trade-up desirable. That being said, there were probably a few K-5 IIs buyers who were not happy when the K-3 was announced. Expecting D850 features on an incremental model would have been like expecting the K-5 IIs to match the D7100.

As far as comparisons go, the D810 is still current Nikon product and is still the point of comparison for the K-1 II. Image quality comparison (adjusted for Nikon's abuse of base ISO)
between the two cameras is a draw. After that, it comes down to price and can't-live-without features. Having had both cameras in hand, my vote goes to the K-1/K-1 II unless one REALLY needs the superior AF and the higher exposure rate. BTW...the D810 video sucks too.

As for the K-3 II successor...rumors have been flying for over a year. If nothing is announced at CP+, I would expect an announcement at Photokina in the fall with an October release date similar to what was done with the K-3.

Steve

P.S. I go out shooting with Canon people every now and then and they curse their AF too.

P.P.S The killer feature(s) I would like to see would be auto AF fine adjust and auto AF bracket.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-21-2018 at 06:01 PM.
02-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Since Precision is the only authorized service center for warranty work I guess your just gonna throw your K-1 away if it breaks under warranty
02-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #75
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Excuse my ignorance Brian, but who does 10fps? I know the D850 is 7fps. I do agree with you as for the buffer.
In my view though, 4k or 8k video makes no difference if you never shoot video.
I have never had a problem with Pentax DSLR AF, but that's just me. Lots of people seem to have complaints and I don't understand why.

I'm sure the D850 is a lovely camera but it's also $3,300.
D850 does 9 fps with the grip. No, that is not 10. But, that is close (enough).