Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
WOW ! Now that got my attention rather quickly....Right out of the gate with FREE Grip....I just may grab one of these.

02-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
I'm not convinced that the improved AF algorithm has anything to do with the new circuit board being offered for update, but I may be wrong, of course.
+1. If the new algorithm improves AF-C substantially, we may not see it in a K1 firmware upgrade.
02-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Huh, all the grumbling on the other threads about the ii specs being a joke and no way gonna upgrade now all the enthusiasm over a $550 upgrade. Go figure.

Ricoh Imaging Japan/Global site as of this moment still does not have the announcement nor does the UK Ricoh Imaging site. Perhaps the mk II is targeted mostly for North America and Canada?
Must have just went up in Japan
02-21-2018, 06:11 PM - 3 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
D850 does 9 fps with the grip. No, that is not 10. But, that is close (enough).
$3200 camera + $400 grip + $60 additional battery required to get 9 fps. So twice the fps for twice the price.

You get what you pay for (and are willing the carry).

02-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
also on adorama with grip:
Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera Body
02-21-2018, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's not a matter of different class of camera (although it should not be surprising if the specs on a camera that is 50% more expensive weren't higher) it's a matter of completely different priorities.

For some (like me), the Nikon D850 is a costly UNDERPERFORMER. It has no IBIS, no software controlled antialiasing, no horizon leveling, no composition adjustment, no pixel shift, no astrotracer. For some (like me), 4k video is worthless, more AF points would actually make the camera harder to use, and higher FPS just means more work going through superfluous images.

The different camera makers don't compete head-to-head to see who can pack in the highest specs at the lowest cost (which is a fool's game in business), they target different markets.
To many here, Pentax cameras will always need to go against some mythical invincible camera in the sky that has the combination of all the good attributes of every camera out there.
VS
The AF of a D500
The price/FF ratio of a Canon 6D
The 42mp of a A9
The size of a EM-10
etc..

Conveniently, in such arguments they forget the pixel shift, the composition adjusment, astro tracer, smallish lenses, smallish size for a 36mp well featured FF camera, tilting LCD, etc..
02-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
also on adorama with grip:
Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera Body
That did it ! Pre-ordered mine !
02-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Some small scale high Iso photos here. High-resolution design | PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
128k looks good. 256k maybe even usable.

---------- Post added 02-22-2018 at 01:06 PM ----------

Red night vision display is cool. Is that already a k1 feature?

02-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Some small scale high Iso photos here. High-resolution design | PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
128k looks good. 256k maybe even usable.
They do look pretty encouraging, but at that size the jury's still out.
QuoteQuote:
Red night vision display is cool. Is that already a k1 feature?
Yes
02-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Higher res. samples can be found here, Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
02-22-2018, 02:20 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
D850 does 9 fps with the grip. No, that is not 10. But, that is close (enough).
But the price isn't. It's actually about double (add the larger battery and a new charger for it).
02-22-2018, 04:12 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-1 couldn't do 9 fps or 4K without a new sensor. Regardless of whether you need that kind of frame rate, that wasn't in the cards for this year. This is a 100 dollar refresh where Pentax has put some things they were working on with other cameras (accelerator chip, improved pixel shift options) into the K-1. Clearly at the 2 year mark, sales of the K-1 had decreased somewhat and they thought they could do this to generate some more until they were ready to put out the next-gen full frame camera (maybe end of 2019?).

I will say that for still photography, the K1 and K1 II still offer image quality that is top notch. The D850 may generate more images per second, but as far as high iso image quality, astro photography, and landscape photography, the K1 is a better tool. The D850 is better for sports, but it also feels like a bit of overkill for that too.
02-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #88
Pentaxian

By the way, Ricoh Imaging started updating the pentax.com website.
02-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The suggestion of a comparison with say Nikon D810s, or 850s, or Canon 5DmrkIV is revealing. Some of those cameras came up as comparisons in reviews of the K-1i (eg Taking on the DSLR Giants: Fstoppers Reviews the Pentax K-1 Camera | Fstoppers). And often it was yeah, the K-1 has worse AF, slower FPS (the D810 is 5), but hey! the K-1 is a fraction of the price.

But if you run those through say cameradecision.com what pops out is that price isn't the only reason why the K-1 compares favorably in each case. The "reasons to buy K-1" fall back to pixel shift, in-body stabilization, Astrotracer, and so on. Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D850 Detailed Comparison. The K-1ii may even surpass it in dynamic range.

So I'd guess that what Pentax is doing is pushing the envelope on those existing distinctions, since Canikon aren't competing there. Even aside from price. Does that mean that they are doubling down on the K-1 as a landscape, still life, portrait camera? yep. But that appeals to me more than feature creep to becoming just a cheap version of the D850. Maybe they said hmm, we can put new brains into the existing thing and boost the power of what we already excel at, or add better AF, 4k video, but at a bump in price. Some of use prefer what they've done.

OTOH, I could be completely full of it if AF and 4k vid could be added at no expense and the team improving that was out skiing when the meeting to decide priorities was held....
02-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #90

Looks like they're calling the upgraded AF system "Advanced SAFOX 12", so if there's any question of a change in the AF.. there's your answer.