Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know why, I've never bought a MkII model. No K-5ii, no K-3ii. I guess this is slightly counter intuitive, since in the Pentax world, the Mkii versions tend to be what the first version should have been, rather than any new concepts.
So maybe that means you should have never bought the Mark I then.

02-22-2018, 10:09 AM - 3 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
4.4 fps - what? WHAT?! Again, how can other brands have 10fps on a ff, but not Ricoh?
Now, perhaps Ricoh is marketing towards non fast action type of shooters? Am I maybe just too inexperienced to think 4.4fps isn't a bad thing?
The way everyone gets to 10 FPS is to reduce the images size to 24 MP or less, most of them 18-22. You can't get both fast FPS and high res in one camera. The D850 comes closest, and it's twice the price. So are you saying you want twice the price? OK then, buy a D850 and quit whining.

Don't want to pay twice the price? Then be prepared to give up MP. It's not a Pentax thing, it's everyone.

Every camera near its price point has a set of features better than a K-1 in some respects, worse than a K-1 in others. If you wanted to trade off some features, then you bought the wrong camera.
02-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zazism_rx Quote
Looks like they're calling the upgraded AF system "Advanced SAFOX 12", so if there's any question of a change in the AF.. there's your answer.

[K-1 Mark II] SAFOX12 - YouTube
Excellent! Ricoh is moving in the right direction.

Hopefully the K-3II replacement will make a bigger leap in AF tracking. More than what the K-5II/5IIs to K-3/K-3II leap was.
02-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
So maybe that means you should have never bought the Mark I then.
Ya, but then you miss 18 months of enhanced shooting. I have never seriously considered shooting with my K-5 until the K-3 mkII came out. I did go back to the K-5 for a bit before i sold it, thinking maybe it still had something to offer. It didn't. In fact it felt ridiculously slow. There was no joy left in it.

02-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ya, but then you miss 18 months of enhanced shooting. I have never seriously considered shooting with my K-5 until the K-3 mkII came out. I did go back to the K-5 for a bit before i sold it, thinking maybe it still had something to offer. It didn't. In fact it felt ridiculously slow. There was no joy left in it.
It depends what you shoot at each time. For example, if someone owned the K5-II, it was reasonable if they skipped K-3 and go directly to K-3 II if they liked it.
The thing is lots of us skip one or two generation and pull the plunge whenever we feel something out there has enough differentiation that worth paying for, be it gen I, II, or III
02-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #96
Keebler

The way everyone gets to 10 FPS is to reduce the images size to 24 MP or less, most of them 18-22. You can't get both fast FPS and high res in one camera. The D850 comes closest, and it's twice the price. So are you saying you want twice the price? OK then, buy a D850 and quit whining.

Don't want to pay twice the price? Then be prepared to give up MP. It's not a Pentax thing, it's everyone.

Every camera near its price point has a set of features better than a K-1 in some respects, worse than a K-1 in others. If you wanted to trade off some features, then you bought the wrong camera.
Hi Norm,

Thanks. I wasn't whining - I clearly asked whether I was wrong to compare the 2. I was looking for feedback which I received and referred to my inexperience

I guess, in the end, it's not so my much my selfish desires for a camera, but maybe hoping Ricoh comes out with something to knock the socks off Canon/Nikon with a great all around camera because I do love their cameras and want to see them around for a long time.

Cheers,
Brian
02-22-2018, 02:56 PM - 8 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe hoping Ricoh comes out with something to knock the socks off Canon/Nikon
Pentax IS NOT Canon/Nikon. I suspect most of the anguish we see on this forum is caused by people expecting Pentax to produce a Canon or Nikon body with a Pentax badge. And usually at half the price. Pentax does their own thing. If the feature set they provide fits a particular person's needs then they should buy a Pentax. If they need something that another brand is better at they should buy that brand. Trying to make Pentax into Canon or Nikon is not going to work.

Pentax works for me. If it didn't I would have already bought a different brand camera and moved on, not hang out here whining for something that is already available elsewhere.

The K-1 "knocks the socks off" of any brand for it's intended purpose, which is a landscape, astro-photography field camera. That is the niche it was designed to be best at. Show me anyone who handles those functions better at the K-1 price point. But don't try making it into a 10fps sport shooter. Not going to happen. And I wouldn't want it anyway. Don't try to make it into a video camera. Not going to happen. And I wouldn't want it anyway.

02-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #98
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
$3200 camera + $400 grip + $60 additional battery required to get 9 fps. So twice the fps for twice the price.

You get what you pay for (and are willing the carry).
Agreed. But that isn't the context of the discussion.

Mark, to whom I was commenting, even already pointed out that is much more expensive.

The conversation was on who does 10 FPS in a DSLR and there was a reference to the D850 doing 7fps. Well it does more than that with the grip (up to 9 fps). So I was simply providing more information...
02-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Price point is an important context in any such discussion.
02-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #100
mee
Veteran Member

Yes but price was already stated, as I just stated yet again.

It doesn't detract from the fact that the D850 indeed can approach, but not hit, 10FPS with the optional grip. With it, it is 2 frames per second faster than was mentioned. I was simply correcting the statement made by Mark. Or rather, adding on another tidbit of coherent info on burst rate of camera bodies available today.

Whether you want to spend the money on it is a personal choice that doesn't need to be argued or debated on a forum.
02-22-2018, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax IS NOT Canon/Nikon. I suspect most of the anguish we see on this forum is caused by people expecting Pentax to produce a Canon or Nikon body with a Pentax badge. And usually at half the price. Pentax does their own thing. If the feature set they provide fits a particular person's needs then they should buy a Pentax. If they need something that another brand is better at they should buy that brand. Trying to make Pentax into Canon or Nikon is not going to work.

Pentax works for me. If it didn't I would have already bought a different brand camera and moved on, not hang out here whining for something that is already available elsewhere.

The K-1 "knocks the socks off" of any brand for it's intended purpose, which is a landscape, astro-photography field camera. That is the niche it was designed to be best at. Show me anyone who handles those functions better at the K-1 price point. But don't try making it into a 10fps sport shooter. Not going to happen. And I wouldn't want it anyway. Don't try to make it into a video camera. Not going to happen. And I wouldn't want it anyway.
This^^^^

Never mind cameras at the K-1 pricepoint. For landscape/night field work, only the Nikon 850 is close(and arguably with Pixelshift and astrotracer, K-1 is still better). Or the medium format cameras. All of which are much more expensive.

If I'm Pentax product management, all I have to do is look at those photos someone posted here of the Canon and Nikon gear rooms for the Olympics and I have my answer about competing in the sports and wildlife market. It would be a huge financial risk to invest enough to play in that space, with no guarantee you could displace Canikon. Better to focus on keeping/increasing market in the areas you're already at par or ahead.
02-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't try to make it into a video camera.
It is a video camera,1080@ 30fps...havent you switched it over?(I did,once!)
02-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It is a video camera,1080@ 30fps...havent you switched it over?(I did,once!)
It is? You're kidding right? Where is the switch for that?

Seriously, I was out taking night cityscape shots last month and thought I should try a video of this scene. After at least 5 minutes of looking for the video switch on the K-1 I just gave up. Anyway, that's how much I care about video. It was the first time since I bought it I even looked for a video switch.
02-22-2018, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #104
Pentaxian

Hi Norm,

Thanks. I wasn't whining - I clearly asked whether I was wrong to compare the 2. I was looking for feedback which I received and referred to my inexperience

I guess, in the end, it's not so my much my selfish desires for a camera, but maybe hoping Ricoh comes out with something to knock the socks off Canon/Nikon with a great all around camera because I do love their cameras and want to see them around for a long time.

Cheers,
Brian
No problem Brian, as a long time Pentax user, I don't think it's ever been Pentax's goal to knock the socks off anyone. They came to film AF very late, they came to digital very late, they came to digital FF very, very late, they just don't ever knock anyone's socks off, well not since the Spotmatic anyway.. For what I do a K-1 does knock my socks off, and my K-3 keeps me in the game with Canikon shooters. But, Pentax has always appealed to me because I wanted IQ, not what I'd call frills. Part of best bang for buck is steady but relatively un-impressive hardware. They pack everything they can into their camera without breaking the bank, with a focus on image quality.

Last edited by normhead; 02-23-2018 at 06:26 AM.
02-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where is the switch for that?
It was on the top the last time i looked,i wonder if they have hidden it on the Mk 2?Seeing no one uses it(well you and i dont and that takes in the important people!)