Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the K-1II is Official

Ricoh Launches PENTAX K-1 Mark II DSLR - Dealerscope

02-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"The PENTAX K-1 Mark II camera body will be available in March 2018 for a suggested retail price of $1,999.95."

Not bad!
Thanks for sharing this link.
02-21-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't used my K-1 near enough to get a K-1II yet, but hopefully the K-3 III will also be announced.
02-21-2018, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't upgrade from K1 for this but it is nice to see that Pentax is at least doing something.

02-21-2018, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really interested in the new Pixel Shift capabilities. Strikes me this could be a very interesting approach to getting "more" out of the full frame sensor in daily shooting. Hope to see some comparison shots soon.
02-21-2018, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
I won't upgrade from K1 for this but it is nice to see that Pentax is at least doing something.
Too bad that has nothing to do with lenses. It irritates me to no end that they release these bodies but are leaving us completely high and dry and in the dark and are dragging around like a turtle on new lenses.

They are definitely coming across to me as an electronics manufacturer (where they get all giddy and excited about) but act like lenses are a mere second hand after thought.
02-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Its good to see they are still working on stuff. I don't see any talk of faster AF, bigger buffer, faster write speeds, UHS-II support, USB-C......

02-21-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Too bad that has nothing to do with lenses. It irritates me to no end that they release these bodies but are leaving us completely high and dry and in the dark and are dragging around like a turtle on new lenses.

They are definitely coming across to me as an electronics manufacturer (where they get all giddy and excited about) but act like lenses are a mere second hand after thought.
So true. Pentax will soon release more bodies than lenses, a height
02-21-2018, 09:17 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
So true. Pentax will soon release more bodies than lenses, a height
A word of advice. You might want to wait for the actual CP+ Show opening before you make that declarative statement.
02-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't know why, I've never bought a MkII model. No K-5ii, no K-3ii. I guess this is slightly counter intuitive, since in the Pentax world, the Mkii versions tend to be what the first version should have been, rather than any new concepts.

I probably won't buy a K-1ii but looking at it from this perspective, maybe i should have waited for it. This is could possibly your last chance to buy the FA 50 1.4 new.

Last edited by normhead; 02-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
02-21-2018, 09:24 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I don't think it is quite that way. First of all, this isn't a specs monster like the A9 or D5. It is a tweak of an existing camera that is already pretty nice -- I'm sure they hope a small investment will give at least moderate return with regard to new camera sales in the end.

The glass is definitely coming -- there is a road map with lenses on it. The question is how quickly other primes follow the DFA 50's release. Hopefully faster now that they've figured out the drive mechanism, which apparently was the hold up. At the same time, there are nice lenses available now -- FA limiteds, DFA zooms, 100 macro, 200/300 primes. I, personally don't quite feel high and dry or in the dark.

02-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

There's a 50 1.4 coming. I look in the Henry's on-line offerings and I see the FA 50 1.4 and the 55 1.4. It's not like there are no choices if you have to have a 50 1.4 tomorrow.

But of course, someone is going to chime in "they aren't good enough for me."

Part of the reason for Pentax's lack of hurry is, it's all been done before. They can afford to make sure everything is good and the new lenses are set to go for another 26 years, like the FA 50 1.4.

I'm sure they don't feel the same pressure, especially since they'd like to sell as many FA 50 1.4s as possible. They certainly don't want to have to write them off.

The FA 50 1.4 will remain the 1.4 for most of us.

Although the FA 50 1.4 is $70 off at Henry's right now. Maybe they are clearing them out.

Last edited by normhead; 02-21-2018 at 10:04 AM.
02-21-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #13

Looks like a good "II" upgrade to me, the newer processor in particular, combined with improved IS. The "dynamic" handheld pixel shift is a bit of a mystery still. Do they achieve full 4 pixel shifting, or something else? Not sure... If I were in the market for a second K1 I'd get it, and if I were in the market for a first K1, I'd get it as well.

My personal fantasy Pentax is a compact but not-too-small ASP-C K-mount mirrorless (that still has screw drive for older lenses). It would have a nice EVF and silent shutter and of course IBIS and on-sensor pdaf. We would live without the thrill of being able to adapt every lens in the universe, because we have plenty of lenses to choose from. And Pentax would introduce new ASP-C lenses that are especially suited to on-sensor pdaf and cdaf.
02-21-2018, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A word of advice. You might want to wait for the actual CP+ Show opening before you make that declarative statement.
CP+ 2017, 2018, 2019?
Pentax was not very active in releasing lenses after putting them on the roadmap. Some bashing must be allowed here - praise will be given as soon as lenses are delivered.
02-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It's official... And not posted on Pentax/Ricoh websites. I find that hard to believe.