Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

They left out the coffee grinder attachment.
Pentax is Doooooooomed!!

02-21-2018, 10:25 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's a 50 1.4 coming. I look in the Henry's on-line offerings and I see the FA 50 1.4 and the 55 1.4. It's not like there are no choices if you have to have a 50 1.4 tomorrow.

But of course, someone is going to chime in "they aren't good enough for me."

Part of the reason for Pentax's lack of hurry is, it's all been done before. They can afford to make sure everything is good and the new lenses are set to go for another 26 years, like the FA 50 1.4.

I'm sure they don't feel the same pressure, especially since they'd like to sell as many FA 50 1.4s as possible. They certainly don't want to have to write them off.

The FA 50 1.4 will remain the 1.4 for most of us.

Although the FA 50 1.4 is $70 off at Henry's right now. Maybe they are clearing them out.
You are saying 26 year life cycle for a lens is a feature and not a bug?
Some people are waiting for additional releases after the 50, like a 85 or the large aperture WA - pressure is extremely high. And no, Pentax has not released fullframe larger apeture lenses for modern sensors. Pentax has not done it before. Lens demands and designs have changed dramatically withon the last 26 years.
02-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What about 1/250 Sync Speed? No mention of that....yet.
02-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
That would be nice but I dont think it does that anyway.

02-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Link is "404"...so much for dealerscope.

Link is "404"...so much for dealerscope...

They are an aggregator site and apparently linked to a rumor post somewhere that was later pulled.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-21-2018 at 11:09 AM.
02-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
No reason to expect it either. I know there was "leaked" photo of the rear LCD that showed the flash icon and 1/250s speed, but the icon on the current K-1 merely indicates the flash setting (On) and not whether there is a flash mounted and ready (none is visible in the photo, the hot shoe is empty).

It would be nice to have the extra 1/2 stop sync speed though.

Steve
02-21-2018, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The glass is definitely coming -- there is a road map with lenses on it. The question is how quickly other primes follow the DFA 50's release. Hopefully faster now that they've figured out the drive mechanism, which apparently was the hold up. At the same time, there are nice lenses available now -- FA limiteds, DFA zooms, 100 macro, 200/300 primes. I, personally don't quite feel high and dry or in the dark.
The lenses that I do have I am happy with. I have all three amigos, a nice vintage fast 50, and the 24-70. I am not 'out of the game' but it seems like they are dragging along at a snail's pace on their lenses.

Also Pentax didn't design the 24-70. They took someone else's design and revamped it and slapped a new label on there. Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with the performance of the lens it seems to me that it was put together and released as an afterthought almost. I don't know if that's a peek inside the world of Pentax or not. But they did the same thing with the 15-30, and maybe other lenses.

In the end camera bodies sell camera bodies. Lenses on the other hand attract and keep photographers. Pentax really needs to up it's game in the lens department.

If we had this as a line up 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and maybe even a 105mm, all being fast (f1.8 or faster) and all weather sealed with at least FA Limited sharpness and clarity, that would be an attraction to behold.

Combine that with even the 24-70 out there now and the 70-200 already out there...they would cover the wants and needs of 90% of the photography world right there. I believe the reason why they are not poaching more people is because of the dragging around in releasing Pentax quality of standard lenses.

I am not knocking good camera bodies (and they do need to keep them up to par or better), but I would like to hear for once, 'man! Pentax has some of the best lenses out there! and what a selection!' and have that be referring to the current set of available lenses.

Lenses are the stuff legends are made of. Just look at how many camera bodies have come and gone since the inception of the FA77mm. Yet to this day what is the crown jewel of almost any Pentax line up?

02-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Also Pentax didn't design the 24-70. They took someone else's design and revamped it and slapped a new label on there.
They didn't make it either. It is a Tamron product made to Pentax specifications.

Steve
02-21-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They didn't make it either. It is a Tamron product made to Pentax specifications.

Steve
That's my point. Pentax is coming across as an almost purely electronics company. While I definitely like and prefer what they offer they need to diversify their skill set. Quit outsourcing to other people what Pentax should be doing.

Like I said, bodies come and go but lenses are legendary.
02-21-2018, 11:16 AM - 4 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
You are saying 26 year life cycle for a lens is a feature and not a bug?
Some people are waiting for additional releases after the 50, like a 85 or the large aperture WA - pressure is extremely high. And no, Pentax has not released fullframe larger apeture lenses for modern sensors. Pentax has not done it before. Lens demands and designs have changed dramatically withon the last 26 years.
Actually, the pressure is not high at all.

100% of camera users need a camera body. Body technology is changing much faster than lens technology. The DFA f/2.8 zooms cover most of the demand for "modern lenses" in today's zoom-oriented market place making each prime a true niche product. Only a small % need a 50/1.4 and only a fraction of that small % find the existing large aperture 50's unacceptable. That's especially true for Pentax which touts the broad backward compatibility of it's modern bodies. Pentax more so than other brands probably attracts a greater percentage of camera buyers who actually embrace older lenses. We've certainly had a lot of posters specifically saying they will NOT buy the 50/1.4.

Don't get me wrong, more modern prime lenses would be welcome. But the pressure really is not that high when you look at the numbers. The market disadvantage of having a two-year old flagship body almost certainly outweighs the market disadvantage of not having a modern niche prime lens.
02-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The lenses that I do have I am happy with. I have all three amigos, a nice vintage fast 50, and the 24-70. I am not 'out of the game' but it seems like they are dragging along at a snail's pace on their lenses.

Also Pentax didn't design the 24-70. They took someone else's design and revamped it and slapped a new label on there. Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with the performance of the lens it seems to me that it was put together and released as an afterthought almost. I don't know if that's a peek inside the world of Pentax or not. But they did the same thing with the 15-30, and maybe other lenses.

In the end camera bodies sell camera bodies. Lenses on the other hand attract and keep photographers. Pentax really needs to up it's game in the lens department.

If we had this as a line up 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and maybe even a 105mm, all being fast (f1.8 or faster) and all weather sealed with at least FA Limited sharpness and clarity, that would be an attraction to behold.

Combine that with even the 24-70 out there now and the 70-200 already out there...they would cover the wants and needs of 90% of the photography world right there. I believe the reason why they are not poaching more people is because of the dragging around in releasing Pentax quality of standard lenses.

I am not knocking good camera bodies (and they do need to keep them up to par or better), but I would like to hear for once, 'man! Pentax has some of the best lenses out there! and what a selection!' and have that be referring to the current set of available lenses.

Lenses are the stuff legends are made of. Just look at how many camera bodies have come and gone since the inception of the FA77mm. Yet to this day what is the crown jewel of almost any Pentax line up?
I suppose. The Tamron lenses are very nice lenses. Those are two of the line up of full frame lenses that Pentax currently offers. Honestly, I don't know of any crown jewel lenses that are normal zooms anyway. They tend to be fine, well used lenses, but looking at the (completely Pentax designed and produced) DA *16-50, which is their normal for APS-C, you can only do so much with that range. The primes are where it is at and as those come out, hopefully there are some stand out lenses among them.
02-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seemed far from official anyway. When it is official you wil likely see it on the front Page of this Forum as well as other places.
02-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Link is "404"...so much for dealerscope...

They are an aggregator site and apparently linked to a rumor post somewhere that was later pulled.

Steve
Well that suggests they went a few hours early and got a nasty phone call!

Anyone notice the K1ii cameras had the correct labelling on Adam homepage posts, ie the ii under the K1 unlike the faked photos. Maybe they were the first photo of the K1
02-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Well that suggests they went a few hours early and got a nasty phone call!

Anyone notice the K1ii cameras had the correct labelling on Adam homepage posts, ie the ii under the K1 unlike the faked photos. Maybe they were the first photo of the K1
It also suggests that someone realized they had referenced a rumor post rather than fact. It is hard to say now and this thread is well...unsubstantiated at present, though it seems to have taken on a life of its own with the same old posts from the previous K-1II threads. Go figure...

Steve
02-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
When it is official you wil likely see it on the front Page of this Forum as well as other places.
Like maybe the Ricoh Japan home page?

Steve