Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi-res samples
The Pentax K-1 Mark II Has Arrived & We Have Sample Photos To Share

02-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #47

I think they should also offer the announced improved AF algorithm to existing K-1 owners via a firmware upgrade. I personally do not care that much about pixel shift or high iso, but improved tracking would be more than welcome.

Do ask them to do this, Adam, if you're visiting the CP+.
02-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #48
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
It's official... And not posted on Pentax/Ricoh websites. I find that hard to believe.
Ricoh announces the PENTAX K-1 Mark II full-frame digital SLR camera

It was updated earlier.

It's official for sure.

Cheers,
Brian
02-21-2018, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Buy K-1 silver and have it upgraded?
Already have. And will

02-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wowie zowie.

I like that they are going all out on pixel shift. I think that's gonna really separate them from the pack, esp if the motion control and hand-held hype holds up. Some of those images are spectacular, and even the APS-C PS stuff is incredible, and in full format even that much better. And I can't recall any camera manufacturer giving your body a brain transplant like this; that's also pretty ground-breaking, no?
02-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is a terriffic camera. I think I'm going to buy one....
02-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Preorders are already up at board sponsor, putting my visa where my mouth is on this one.

02-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
I think they should also offer the announced improved AF algorithm to existing K-1 owners via a firmware upgrade. I personally do not care that much about pixel shift or high iso, but improved tracking would be more than welcome.

Do ask them to do this, Adam, if you're visiting the CP+.
All upgrades are included.
( Ricoh will let Pentax K-1 owners update their cameras to a Mark II for $550: Digital Photography Review
It's like Christmas Eve, but you have to pay a fee.
02-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Preorders are already up at board sponsor, putting my visa where my mouth is on this one.
Saw that B&H offers it at list, but with a free battery holder (nice...that's $250). Dunno if there are any other deals out there.
02-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Link is "404"...so much for dealerscope...

They are an aggregator site and apparently linked to a rumor post somewhere that was later pulled.

Steve
That was probably activated 12 hours early, or some such thing.
02-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
All upgrades are included.
( Ricoh will let Pentax K-1 owners update their cameras to a Mark II for $550: Digital Photography Review
It's like Christmas Eve, but you have to pay a fee.
I'm not convinced that the improved AF algorithm has anything to do with the new circuit board being offered for update, but I may be wrong, of course.
02-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #57
Keebler

I'll most likely get flamed for this post, but I'm disappointed nothing more was done about more AF points and a speed increase in that AF.

Perhaps it's my inexperience compared to others although I think that also can be helpful in analysis because I'm looking at at differently.

ie. Why does Nikon have so many AF and it's so fast? Pure question. What is different in the technology that they can do it faster, but Ricoh can't? Or maybe Ricoh just won't? edited: I did re-read Ricoh's announcement and they said the AF Tracking algorithm has been revised to improve tracking accuracy of fast moving subjects.

Also, no 4K video? I find that lacking. I mean, the video on my K3 sucks unless I'm completely 100% stable and non moving. Anything hand held brings the jello effect to video. It's terrible.

4.4 fps - what? WHAT?! Again, how can other brands have 10fps on a ff, but not Ricoh?
Now, perhaps Ricoh is marketing towards non fast action type of shooters? Am I maybe just too inexperienced to think 4.4fps isn't a bad thing?

I love the speed of my K3. 7fps is pretty sweet, but I do find the AF isn't as fast as I think it could be at times. Yes, I did make some recommended changes to the camera set up per the "perfect focus everytime" thread by Wired (a great help!)
An increase in buffer would be nice too.

I've been looking at the Nikon D850. It just seems like a fantastic piece of equipment. I was hoping the K1 II would rival it.

I do understand that the K1 II has some remarkable features others don't. One thing I LOVE about my K3 is the WR. Being able to stay out in the snow or rain (I live in Canada) is a great peace of mind. I don't do it all the time, but when it's precipitating out, I don't let it stop me

Maybe I'm faulty for comparing the more expensive D850? ie. is the D850 in a different class of camera like my K3 isn't comparable to a K1?

Try not to flame me too bad. I'm not hating on Ricoh....more or less trying to understand if I'm right to be not be enthusiastic about the update.

Also, any idea when a new K3 II successor might be announced? I heard maybe the fall? If a K3 III (or whatever the naming convention would be) has 4K , 7 or more fps and better AF, I might be all over it as well.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Keebler; 02-21-2018 at 05:21 PM.
02-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Personally, I'm OK with the number of AF points. 33 is probably on the low side of specification comparison but it's never stopped me from a shot. A few more to cover more of the frame would be a nice-to-have for me. I agree a faster, smarter, and more responsive AF-C would be greatly appreciated.

Having 4k video would be a "me too" feature. Developing it probably would win over a few converts but less than we imagine. If you want 4k then go to the u4/3 crowd. They got it going on for sure over there.

Increasing burst rates would be welcome too ... but I don't think Ricoh is making a sports oriented camera. Neither is Phase One and nobody seems to say anything.

Comparing against the D850 may not be fair. Did you see how much it costs vs the K-1 Mk II?

Ricoh is blazing their own trail with their own unique set of features with astrotracer and pixel shift. They wont suit everyone but those they do suit they will suit very well. No "me too" from them.
02-21-2018, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote
I'll most likely get flamed for this post, but I'm disappointed nothing more was done about more AF points and a speed increase in that AF.

Perhaps it's my inexperience compared to others although I think that also can be helpful in analysis because I'm looking at at differently.

ie. Why does Nikon have so many AF and it's so fast? Pure question. What is different in the technology that they can do it faster, but Ricoh can't? Or maybe Ricoh just won't?

Also, no 4K video? I find that lacking. I mean, the video on my K3 sucks unless I'm completely 100% stable and non moving. Anything hand held brings the jello effect to video. It's terrible.

4.4 fps - what? WHAT?! Again, how can other brands have 10fps on a ff, but not Ricoh?
Now, perhaps Ricoh is marketing towards non fast action type of shooters? Am I maybe just too inexperienced to think 4.4fps isn't a bad thing?

I love the speed of my K3. 7fps is pretty sweet, but I do find the AF isn't as fast as I think it could be at times. Yes, I did make some recommended changes to the camera set up per the "perfect focus everytime" thread by Wired (a great help!)
An increase in buffer would be nice too.

I've been looking at the Nikon D850. It just seems like a fantastic piece of equipment. I was hoping the K1 II would rival it.

I do understand that the K1 II has some remarkable features others don't. One thing I LOVE about my K3 is the WR. Being able to stay out in the snow or rain (I live in Canada) is a great peace of mind. I don't do it all the time, but when it's precipitating out, I don't let it stop me

Maybe I'm faulty for comparing the more expensive D850? ie. is the D850 in a different class of camera like my K3 isn't comparable to a K1?

Try not to flame me too bad. I'm not hating on Ricoh....more or less trying to understand if I'm right to be not be enthusiastic about the update.

Also, any idea when a new K3 II successor might be announced? I heard maybe the fall? If a K3 III (or whatever the naming convention would be) has 4K , 7 or more fps and better AF, I might be all over it as well.

Cheers,
Brian
Excuse my ignorance Brian, but who does 10fps? I know the D850 is 7fps. I do agree with you as for the buffer.
In my view though, 4k or 8k video makes no difference if you never shoot video.
I have never had a problem with Pentax DSLR AF, but that's just me. Lots of people seem to have complaints and I don't understand why.

I'm sure the D850 is a lovely camera but it's also $3,300.
02-21-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Keebler Quote

You answered your own question, Brian.

That's a $3300 camera!

I mean, I'd like to up that and get the IQ of a Pentax 645Z, but I sure can't afford that either!

Last edited by clackers; 02-21-2018 at 05:25 PM.