Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The video switch is on the top under the selection dial on the right side of the pentaprism. Easy to find if you look the camera over. I think it is an improvement over earlier configuations.

02-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It was on the top the last time i looked
Well I'll be. There is a video switch there. I looked all over that darned camera for it and came up with nothing. It sure doesn't stick out much.
02-22-2018, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well I'll be. There is a video switch there. I looked all over that darned camera for it and came up with nothing. It sure doesn't stick out much.
RI dont want you to know its there,they made the 4K switch impossible to find!
02-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm excited about this, but I truly think handheld pixel shift just isn't a good idea (no matter what the implementation), except maybe at really fast shutter speeds. The human body is the weak link here. I'm looking forward to trying out this camera, but we shouldn't be getting our hopes up for a very difficult feature.

02-22-2018, 09:11 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm excited about this, but I truly think handheld pixel shift just isn't a good idea (no matter what the implementation), except maybe at really fast shutter speeds. The human body is the weak link here. I'm looking forward to trying out this camera, but we shouldn't be getting our hopes up for a very difficult feature.
Their brief description in the release announcement makes it sound like it doesn't actual move the sensor like regular pixel shift, but actually uses the movement generated by our normal shaking around. Seems to me this would be very hard to make work consistently, and only at moderately fast shutter speeds, but I guess we'll see.
02-23-2018, 03:58 AM - 3 Likes   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Agreed. But that isn't the context of the discussion.

Mark, to whom I was commenting, even already pointed out that is much more expensive.

The conversation was on who does 10 FPS in a DSLR and there was a reference to the D850 doing 7fps. Well it does more than that with the grip (up to 9 fps). So I was simply providing more information...
The interesting thing is that (at least according to DXO Mark), in order to get the faster read out speed, the D850 does worse at high iso. It isn't a huge different but the sports iso for the D850 is 2600 and for the K-1 is 3200. That gap may/should widen with the accelerator chip on the K-1.

In the end, Pentax is doubling down on their decision not to face Nikon directly. They aren't going to make a 8 frame per second full frame camera, at least not at present. My guess is the end of next year you will see a K-1 sequel come out, probably with the A7r II sensor, which would allow faster frame rates and more advanced video options. Even then, they won't be trying to get into the sports market.
02-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #112
Keebler

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax IS NOT Canon/Nikon. I suspect most of the anguish we see on this forum is caused by people expecting Pentax to produce a Canon or Nikon body with a Pentax badge. And usually at half the price. Pentax does their own thing. If the feature set they provide fits a particular person's needs then they should buy a Pentax. If they need something that another brand is better at they should buy that brand. Trying to make Pentax into Canon or Nikon is not going to work.

Pentax works for me. If it didn't I would have already bought a different brand camera and moved on, not hang out here whining for something that is already available elsewhere.

The K-1 "knocks the socks off" of any brand for it's intended purpose, which is a landscape, astro-photography field camera. That is the niche it was designed to be best at. Show me anyone who handles those functions better at the K-1 price point. But don't try making it into a 10fps sport shooter. Not going to happen. And I wouldn't want it anyway. Don't try to make it into a video camera. Not going to happen. And I wouldn't want it anyway.
Thanks Jatrax.

02-23-2018, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #113
Banned

For those who where waiting it is also a good time. The cheapest K-1 overhere I could find is 1699 euro. That is a sharp price.
02-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Their brief description in the release announcement makes it sound like it doesn't actual move the sensor like regular pixel shift, but actually uses the movement generated by our normal shaking around. Seems to me this would be very hard to make work consistently, and only at moderately fast shutter speeds, but I guess we'll see.
You can look at the results of people running handheld PS shots through PDCU here; it removes a LOT of motion. What I don't recall is if that just means it effectively just uses one frame of the PS shot, or whether it does some masking a la deghosting when you do HDRs. The key to tell would be whether the static parts of the shot have increased detail.

So I'm kinda wondering if the PS II onboard thing is just basically a software improvement in de-motioning and stacking, combined with a faster processor to get it done. Basically a Photoshop update along with a new laptop in your camera. Which begs the question of whether one should upgrade the camera, or just spend upgrade Rawtherapee and get a faster processor on your computer and do the motion work in post, which allows for you to work with RAW and to have more control over the process. But maybe it's more than that—maybe the actual capture is improved. I'd sure like to know the details before I bought a K-1ii, since that's the key feature.
02-23-2018, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
You can look at the results of people running handheld PS shots through PDCU here; it removes a LOT of motion. What I don't recall is if that just means it effectively just uses one frame of the PS shot, or whether it does some masking a la deghosting when you do HDRs. The key to tell would be whether the static parts of the shot have increased detail.

So I'm kinda wondering if the PS II onboard thing is just basically a software improvement in de-motioning and stacking, combined with a faster processor to get it done. Basically a Photoshop update along with a new laptop in your camera. Which begs the question of whether one should upgrade the camera, or just spend upgrade Rawtherapee and get a faster processor on your computer and do the motion work in post, which allows for you to work with RAW and to have more control over the process. But maybe it's more than that—maybe the actual capture is improved. I'd sure like to know the details before I bought a K-1ii, since that's the key feature.
Ricoh's description of the system seems to imply that it is much more than just Rawtherapee on a chip. They are using SR system data in ways not used on the K-1 and not available to Rawtherapee.

I doubt the K-1 in pixelshift mode puts out all the SR system data that the K-1ii is using to do dynamic pixelshift. At the very least, the K-1 is unlikely to store SR system data with the pixelshift Raws because SR is disabled on the K-1 during pixelshift. It's also possible (and seems likely to me) that the SR system sensors on the mainboard have been upgraded for the K-1ii to more accurately measure camera motions over the 0.75+ seconds of a pixelshift exposure set. That suggests that the K-1iI can do things that the K-1 + Rawtherapee cannot.

This issue of in-camera processing versus post-processing is very interesting and does not have any obvious answers. On the one hand, post processing can use much more sophisticated and time-consuming algorithms running on a much more powerful computing platform. But, on the other hand, in-camera processing has much more access to internal data about the sensor, system conditions, lens, and SR sensor measurements. The issue also affects whether post-processing can replicate the noise-surpression offered by the accelerator unit. Whether brute force post-process computing can replicate the benefits of more internal data is not obvious.
02-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great response photoptimist; I think that's the nub. I hadn't thought about the SR system, but what you say makes intuitive sense.

It also shows how brilliant sensor shifting is, from ways to compensation correction to increased resolution to Astrotracer. As well as in it's original use for steadier images as an alternative to lens-based stabilization. I just won't have a camera without it now.
02-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
That was my thoughts exactly. when I need that kind of resolution , I'm shooting from a tripod anyway 97% of the time if not more whether in PS or not.
I went ahead and pre-ordered anyway thanks to a nice fat Christmas gift card , but it wasn't just because of the MkII features released , as my K-1 is outstanding anyway , and I could go the rest of my life and be very happy.....even if it never got any upgrade at all !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 02-23-2018 at 04:24 PM.
02-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The issue also affects whether post-processing can replicate the noise-surpression offered by the accelerator unit.
As wol, it doesn't matter if they can replicate the accelerator chip, i only matters if they have, and all the speculating in the world won't help you that. To me the whole process of the accelerator chips is one more stop of noise free shooting, where I don't have to use noise reduction software.