Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I like your way of thinking, KA. We should flip houses together. Would be interesting to see exactly how many building code violations we could rack up in twelve weeks.
Oh god no, I built my current house in 2009 and dealing with the local building inspectors was a nightmare. imagine being told that the bath tub needed an anti-scald valve added to it. Me and my builder both tried to explain to this yahoo that it WAS built into the valve from the manufacture, even showed him documentation from the factory, no go. So we had the plumber install said safety device, got the plumbing signoff so we could get the final signoff and certificate of occupancy. then after we moved in we had to have the plumbers come back in, open up the wall and remove the valve because you guess we could only get COLD water out of the facet.

03-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well that confirms well enough what's was said on the website, that the accelerator was planned to be on K-1 from the start but couldn't do in time.
03-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No. I doubt any of that will be available until the upgrade is ready to launch. Maybe in May. Maybe not until someone gets it done and finds out.
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I don't think we've seen any warranty info. That's apt to be interesting given the range of potential purchase dates. You'd think at least a 90 day warranty if out of warranty at the time the upgrade is performed, but I throw that out there as just a standard length of time I've seen when repairing electronics. Perhaps it will be something along the lines of a minimum of 90 days, e.g. you if still have 6 months, your original warranty is in effect. If you are out of warranty, here's 90 days, only 55 days left, then a 35 day extension . That's my best guess.

Regarding things like seals, I would think it goes without saying that any seal broken to perform the upgrade would be replaced. Ricoh isn't going to go break people's weatherproofing over what is probably mere cents worth of o-rings as part of a $550 upgrade.
I read somewhere they’ll answer those questions in April before they start accepting upgrade reservations.
03-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To me it seems stupid not to upgrade (unless the camera has taken over ~ 20000 pictures.
It seems quite generous of Pentax, the guarantee is not crucial to me, but if I stay at K1 mark 1 then maybe there will be no more firmware upgrade and secondhand value will go down.
Upgrade of K1 costs 500 €, but now KP costs 700 € (campaign) ...
I was at a photo fair yesterday, I needed to ask to see a KP (!) And they only had the smallest grip there. ... ... So am i interested in a KP?
Perhaps. .. Their focus was on K1II and DFA lenses.
So I have 2 choices with limited budget: upgrade K1 and wait for K3III next year or continue with K1 and buy a KP.
I'm leaning just now to upgrade K1 and wait for a K3 super.

03-10-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$700AUD for the upgrade here in Oz.

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 10:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
To me it seems stupid not to upgrade (unless the camera has taken over ~ 20000 pictures.
It seems quite generous of Pentax, the guarantee is not crucial to me, but if I stay at K1 mark 1 then maybe there will be no more firmware upgrade and secondhand value will go down.
I was at a photo fair yesterday, I needed to ask to see a KP (!) And they only had the smallest grip there. ... ... So am i interested in a KP?
Perhaps. .. Their focus was on K1II and DFA lenses.
So I have 2 choices with limited budget: upgrade K1 and wait for K3III next year or continue with K1 and buy a KP.
I'm leaning just now to upgrade K1 and wait for a K3 super.
I have a K-1 and KP. The upgrade for the K-1>K-1II is $700AUD, that's a sizeable chunk. My KP cost $1200AUD at the time and can be had for cheaper than that now.

I do love my KP, I use it as my second shooter often. I use primes only so it helps with not lens swapping (and solving buffering issues when they arise). I was really surprised over some of the KP features, such as AF.C with ES on, as well as doing that in continuous shooting mode AND through the OVF. Niiice...
Av Bracketing mode is a nice feature too, I use that a fair bit.

But do I need those features twice? On both cameras? I've not really felt that need yet. As for handheld Pixelshifting... not really convinced on that point, I'll wait for the reviews. I do a lot of waterfalls and other scenes with PS on, it's always tripodded, and then I still need to visit RT to do some motion correction. I just can't see the handheld PS feature working that well, or being used that much. I might be wrong tho...
03-11-2018, 03:10 AM   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
$700AUD for the upgrade here in Oz.

---------- Post added 03-11-18 at 10:21 AM ----------

I have a K-1 and KP. The upgrade for the K-1>K-1II is $700AUD, that's a sizeable chunk. My KP cost $1200AUD at the time and can be had for cheaper than that now.

I do love my KP, I use it as my second shooter often. I use primes only so it helps with not lens swapping (and solving buffering issues when they arise). I was really surprised over some of the KP features, such as AF.C with ES on, as well as doing that in continuous shooting mode AND through the OVF. Niiice...
Av Bracketing mode is a nice feature too, I use that a fair bit.

But do I need those features twice? On both cameras? I've not really felt that need yet. As for handheld Pixelshifting... not really convinced on that point, I'll wait for the reviews. I do a lot of waterfalls and other scenes with PS on, it's always tripodded, and then I still need to visit RT to do some motion correction. I just can't see the handheld PS feature working that well, or being used that much. I might be wrong tho...
I'd wait and see what the results are. I'm not sure if there is much benefit except for the high iso benefit and maybe cleaner low iso images. I agree that the pixel shift improvement probably won't do much for me, for that, its either tripod or just shoot a single image,

But, I also know that when folks actually get their hands on a new camera and start shooting with it, it often becomes pretty hard to resist the call of new gear.
03-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not sure if there is much benefit except for the high iso benefit and maybe cleaner low iso images.
Don't forget the upgrade also address improvements in auto focus, especially in AF C tracking.

03-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget the upgrade also address improvements in auto focus, especially in AF C tracking.
The question is how much. It's not a new AF system, same system just a different algorithm. I'll wait for reviews and detailed comparisons.
03-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #219

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Sorry for off topic... But where in Europe can be found KP for 700 € at the moment? Most online sellers have it for +/- 1.000 €.
03-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

same system just a different algorithm.
But perhaps also the computing horsepower to actually run the algorithm fast enough to be useful.
I'll wait for reviews and detailed comparisons.
Best plan, I will be doing the same.
03-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #221
Veteran Member

It's a campaign that lasted for 1 or 2 months.
1 € is ~ 10SKR. Regular price 10,990
Pentax KP 24 Mpixel pixelshift 5-axlig bildstabilisering | CyberPhoto
One of the 2 major online shops in Sweden.

Edit. I might look at KP in a week. If I like the big grip or the medium, then i buy it for 700+ extra battery.

Last edited by Bophoto; 03-12-2018 at 08:35 AM.
03-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is how much. It's not a new AF system, same system just a different algorithm. I'll wait for reviews and detailed comparisons.
But perhaps also the computing horsepower to actually run the algorithm fast enough to be useful.
Did they not announce SRll along with K-1ll - and might it help AF - or am I dreaming?

P.S. I can now authoritatively report K-1 tracking AF.C does not maintain focus on a slowly walking toddler on Z-axis with a calibrated FA43/1.9 @ f/3.2 using 9-Point SEL. 7D w/24~70/2.8L does. Granted, the 43 is not a sports lens, but I’m not asking it to track a Frisbee Dog.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
03-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
P.S. I can now authoritatively report K-1 tracking AF.C does not maintain focus on a slowly walking toddler on Z-axis with a calibrated FA43/1.9 @ f/3.2 using 9-Point SEL. 7D w/24~70/2.8L does. Granted, the 43 is not a sports lens, but I’m not asking it to track a Frisbee Dog.
User error of course. I can show you a sharp picture of a flying jet fighter to prove it. As we all know they are much faster than walking toddlers.

03-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #224
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
User error of course. I can show you a sharp picture of a flying jet fighter to prove it. As we all know they are much faster than walking toddlers.

I can show one sharp capture - just not 19.
03-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did they not announce SRll along with K-1ll - and might it help AF - or am I dreaming?
The CP+ interview currently linked on the home page banner stories confirms this.

Regarding your AF C experience, I'm going to blame the lens. I love my 43, but it's not what I think of as a sports lens. The AF C performance with the 55-300 PLM compared to every other lens I have is like throwing a magic switch for what it does to improve performance. Even though I shoot that lens on my K3II not K1, I will be checking it on on my K-1 after I do the upgrade just to see.

Somewhere on PF I remember reading about the possibility of the image accelerator chip offering that extra horsepower for improved AF, but I haven't nailed down whether that was speculation or something confirmed from Pentax.

Really looking forward to the start of the upgrade program.