Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #256
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 928
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But isn't that specifically what buffers are for? Decoupling the speed of the camera sensor dump from the write speed of an SD card is what the buffer does. If you doubled the size you would expect nearly double the number of frames before the buffer filled up and you were limited to SD card write out speeds - paralyzed waiting for the buffer to clear. How practical is adding that much buffer? I personally have no idea what size is there and what power requirements are entailed and I'm unclear even if there is sufficiently dense memory available to fill the space available with significantly more buffer or not.

Ideally sure a faster storage option, maybe with dual buses to write to two cards simultaneously? But that's for a future camera I suspect.
UHS-II is at least 3 to 5 times faster than UHS-I. The K-1's huge RAW files would clear the buffer 3 to 5 times faster. So instead of waiting 10 seconds the time is cut to 2 and 3 seconds.

04-03-2018, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #257
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,639
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
UHS-II is at least 3 to 5 times faster than UHS-I. The K-1's huge RAW files would clear the buffer 3 to 5 times faster. So instead of waiting 10 seconds the time is cut to 2 and 3 seconds.
Quite true. And yet it also requires more expensive chips, more expensive card slots, and more battery power to drive the newer, faster cards.

It's always a delicate design balance between the number of customers gained by adding more performance versus the number of customers lost by adding more cost and weight.
04-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #258
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 928
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Quite true. And yet it also requires more expensive chips, more expensive card slots, and more battery power to drive the newer, faster cards.

It's always a delicate design balance between the number of customers gained by adding more performance versus the number of customers lost by adding more cost and weight.
It is more the opposite on battery power etc. Because UHS-II allows the files to write 3 to 5 times faster to the SD card the camera is using much less power. This is evidence with the Nikon D500 and D850. Both cameras had a significant improvement in shots per battery charge due to the UHS-II/XQD ability to write files faster eating up less power in the process.

UHS-II is part of the evolution of SD standards. Pentax has always been running 5 years behind the SD standards curve. Whether that is due to keeping cost's down is probable.
04-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #259
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,639
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
It is more the opposite on battery power etc. Because UHS-II allows the files to write 3 to 5 times faster to the SD card the camera is using much less power. This is evidence with the Nikon D500 and D850. Both cameras had a significant improvement in shots per battery charge due to the UHS-II/XQD ability to write files faster eating up less power in the process.

UHS-II is part of the evolution of SD standards. Pentax has always been running 5 years behind the SD standards curve. Whether that is due to keeping cost's down is probable.
Battery life tells you little about "power" requirements, only energy requirements. You are right that UHS-II takes less energy (total battery capacity consumed per image). But it also takes 2X more power (peak current draw while saving a file). It's the peak power draw that determines the diameter of the cells and number of cells needed in the battery pack.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
36mp, beaches, bit, bsi, car, consumers, costs, feature, features, glass, iso, jpg, k-1, k1, moment, pentax, pentax k-1, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, ricoh, sensor, service, silver, time, upgrade, upgrade service, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh Announces 645Z Service Plan texandrews Pentax Medium Format 2 10-28-2015 09:45 AM
Ricoh announces company name change - no more Pentax Ricoh Imaging, just Ricoh. rawr Pentax News and Rumors 528 10-28-2013 04:39 PM
Consumers are Willing to Pay More for Nikon joe.penn General Talk 20 11-30-2011 03:17 AM
Patients Are Not Consumers jeffkrol General Talk 158 07-12-2011 07:04 AM
Pentax Kx rated best buy on Consumers Report spartan Pentax News and Rumors 13 05-15-2010 01:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top