Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a pretty interesting development but I'm not sure if I'll take advantage of it or not.
I'd like to see the difference in images but I'm relatively happy with K-1 performance and the things I'd want to change aren't addressed in the II. Also, my K-1 is in the shop at the moment because of a sensor spot that is under the filter and this is probably going to cost me $350 or whatever the Precision flat rate is. If I could put that toward the upgrade I might consider it but as it stands now the camera is already in for repair so I'm hesitant to put even more money into this body.
I think I'd be more likely to get the II when I want to add another FF body and my original becomes the backup.

02-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #107
Forum Member

It looks like they're calling upgraded AF system "Advanced SAFOX 12"

02-22-2018, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If I can get a stop of performance for $690 I'm in. That is doubling the shutter speed, stopping down a full stop for depth of field. I got at least a stop of performance moving from the K3 to the K1, probably a bit more, and I'm able to shoot at dusk and dawn, carefully. Another stop buys opens up that magic moment when wildlife starts moving around.

We shall see of course.
Exactly....
Although I can see why non-wildlife shooter might not get it. Many of the times when I use my K-1 is when the light is failing and i just want to shoot bit longer. If I can get another half hour, that makes the time and effort spent to get to a specific location more worthwhile.

Often the K-1 gets used when it's become too dark to get decent images with the K-3. Extending the time I can shoot is a valuable choice to have.
02-22-2018, 09:08 AM - 11 Likes   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got an email about this thread, so I’ll make a single post. Generally though I don’t care to ignore and gloss over the judgemental ‘Othering’ posts any more. I’m not ‘The Other’ that validates ‘The Accepted’ (CaNiSoJi). Alinskyite tactic has become endemic and ruins all good things. My next words are angry invective so . . . If the tone improves

Pretty slick move.
  1. Incremental Revenue to Pentax
  2. Demonstrates EXTREME loyalty to existing users
  3. Generates significant viral marketing buzz - even at DPR
Who says they don’t know how to market? They just do it differently. Naysayers are just imposing their closed-minded values and expectations on this different company and camera, then judging it deficient - according to rules THEY created to validate THEIR prior camera purchase decisions.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-22-2018 at 09:51 AM.
02-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Who says they don’t know how to market? They just do it differently
Yes, its the "new" marketing...be invisible as possible!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Naysayers are just imposing their closed-minded values and expectations on this different company and camera, then judging
Thats a judgement!
02-22-2018, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ISO 800,000 +. My mind swirls in wonderment. Perfect for the available light image of a black cat atop a pile of coal in an unlit basement on a moonless night.
02-22-2018, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
ISO 800,000 +. My mind swirls in wonderment. Perfect for the available light image of a black cat atop a pile of coal in an unlit basement on a moonless night.
Ya, I always miss those shots. Now maybe I have a fighting chance.

Where can I get black cat and a coal pile? I fortunately already have a basement.

---------- Post added 02-22-18 at 01:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, its the "new" marketing...be invisible as possible!

Thats a judgement!
I don't believe his post was against judgements, it was a commentary on how some folks make them. I guess it hit a nerve with you.

02-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
it was a commentary on how some folks make them
Perhaps the exclamation mark may be misinterpreted?...not intended as offensive in any way,shape or form!!!..lol

Anyone can make a decision.No nerves hit, just observation and commentry.All opinion is valid,agreeing or disagreeing is an individual option....i'm not upgrading,my decision because i'm happy with what the original K-1 does for me.I'm happy theres an upgrade and looking forward to opinion about it AND the Mk2 version straight out of the box.However, my decision right now can be reversed.I agree with your statement about the mark 2 versions over the years,being what the first version should have been.

Whats of more interest to me is the "mythical"20mm(although you are leaning towards the 15-30 lately)!
02-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #114
Pentaxian

All opinion is valid,agreeing or disagreeing is an individual option...
So many opinions are in error in one or more aspects, I'm not sure what you mean by "valid'. If you mean, yes that guy believes that then fine. If it means it's not open to correction if errors are presented, then that's not the way it works.

Information that isn't clear or comprehensive presented on a public forum needs to be followed up on, just to keep the integrity of the information presented. If there's more than one way of thinking about something, who knows which explanation will be of value to a reader. It will probably be the one where the person who posts thinks the most like the individual reader. IN that sense "all accurate posts are valid." Posts with inaacuracies need correction.
02-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #115
Forum Member

So, I looked up the reviews for Precision Camera... Now I'm scared about the idea of sending it in.
02-22-2018, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Wow. This is great news for current K1 owners and the future of Pentax in general. Maybe no new crop flagship this year... Next year will do... But with this news and the new DFA and DA * lenses I am excited. This sounds like a company committed to staying in the game to me.
Agree
K1 was a great camera and still and it will be much greater with the Mii.
The great became greater!
I will buy k1ii for its PS handheld and the k1 will a back up.
02-22-2018, 12:14 PM - 2 Likes   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Relative to Precision camera, I can't imagine that Pentax would announce this without feeling like Precision Camera could do this reasonably well. They have to be staffing up to account for it. If they had a bunch of problems created for their top of the line cameras and users(some professionals), they would be inviting lawsuits and switching to Canikon. But I wouldn't be surprised by delays, as opposed to outright problems.

As far as ISO/image quality improvements, I do a lot of night landscape/Milky Way photography. If the performance improved enough that it allowed me to get away with not tracking or stacking more often, or if I could get both foreground and sky in more single shots, that would be worth a lot to me, certainly $500.
02-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Posts with inaacuracies need correction.
Yes, thats your opinion!!!
02-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Now, updated AF would seal the deal for me, seems they really want my money
02-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #120
Pentaxian

Yes, thats your opinion!!!
You make it sound like you have a differing opinion.
Tell you the truth, if it gets to the point where people just start letting faulty information stand uncorrected I'm outta here. I'm here for the Camera Forum part, the social interaction part is secondary. I have learned more when people took the time to correct my own faulty assumptions than probably any other way. You say something dumb, someone corrects you, you learn something, or if you're too immature for the forum you claim they attacked you call them names and flip out.