Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a hard time assessing a camera that isn't in the hands of the end users yet -- negatively or positively. My tendency is to be positive and certainly I don't see any negative here -- people can buy it or not depending on their funds and whether they like what they see from it. As Monochrome says, it definitely shows a commitment to Pentaxians. You can argue about how much of an update a camera like the 6D II was over the 6D or the D810 over the D800, but what you definitely did not see Canon and Nikon doing was offering to upgrade their users from one to other for 500 dollars. That is a step above simple firmware upgrades and the sort of thing that isn't expected in today's marketplace.

02-22-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You make it sound like you have a differing opinion.
Well, no...its similar to yours in many cases,then in others its different....Its good that you observe and point out some information that may not be accurate.I do the same....but thats just my opinion!!!...ha ha

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 08:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have a hard time assessing a camera that isn't in the hands of the end users yet
The proof is in the pudding, MK2 will be outstanding for what its good for!Same as K-1 is great at what it does well.Turning up the volume a bit wont shatter the eardrums!
02-22-2018, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well, no...its similar to yours in many cases,then in others its different....Its good that you observe and point out some information that may not be accurate.I do the same....but thats just my opinion!!!...ha ha
OK, I think we've worn this one out...
02-22-2018, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
the upgrade is for the silver versions too... mentioned on the pentax jp fb page i think.
A silver K1 that is k2’d would be like.... the rarest of the rare.... right? I might just do it.... but don’t need too because in my retirement world nothing moves much... or comes out after dark.

---------- Post added 23-02-18 at 09:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the light is failing and i just want to shoot bit longer. If I can get another half hour, that makes the time and effort spent to get to a specific location more worthwhile.

Often the K-1 gets used when it's become too dark to get decent images with the K-3. Extending the time I can shoot is a valuable choice to have.
I can see the marketing now.... K1 II..... “a camera for the pentaxians that like to live in the Twilight zone

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-22-2018 at 03:49 PM.
02-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #125
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Relative to Precision camera, I can't imagine that Pentax would announce this without feeling like Precision Camera could do this reasonably well. They have to be staffing up to account for it. If they had a bunch of problems created for their top of the line cameras and users(some professionals), they would be inviting lawsuits and switching to Canikon. But I wouldn't be surprised by delays, as opposed to outright problems.

As far as ISO/image quality improvements, I do a lot of night landscape/Milky Way photography. If the performance improved enough that it allowed me to get away with not tracking or stacking more often, or if I could get both foreground and sky in more single shots, that would be worth a lot to me, certainly $500.
How many K-1 will be turned into a mark ii? Maybe one out of every 100 K-1 sold? Sounds like a Job that can be done.
02-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Count me in.
02-22-2018, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Why wouldn't it come to Norway?
Too many olympic medals...

02-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Curious what the warranty will be, and if an extended warranty can be obtained.
02-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #129
Pentaxian

The new model will be normal of course, the upgrade is a gamble i think.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Curious what the warranty will be, and if an extended warranty can be obtained.
02-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #130
Pentaxian

My initial thoughts are that the Ricoh K-1 upgrade seems good, but I'm pleased with the way my K-1 functions now. So for the time being, I think I'm fine...as is. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind.
02-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty cool- but wouldn't it be more economical to sell your K-1 and buy a K-1 II?

Doubt you'll hear any horror stories with something like this, that's fresh and current.
I don't think so. Upgrades are offered in the world of Audiophilia all the time work little stress aside from missing the item.
02-23-2018, 02:28 AM   #132

QuoteQuote:
【「PENTAX K-1」アップグレードサービス】
Yuzuです。新製品「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」の発表とともに情報公開をさせていただいた、新サービスについてお知らせします。
リコーイメージングでは新たな試みとして「PENTAX K-1」のアップグレードサービスを2018年5月21日(月)より開始します。
これは初代K-1ユーザー様がご愛用されているカメラ本体をカスタマイズする有償プログラムとなっています。これにより、お手持ちのK-1は新製品の“Mark II”相当にアップグレードされ、機能・性能が進化します。
アップグレードサービスについての詳細はこちら:?PENTAX K-1????????????????????RICOH IMAGING
※「PENTAX K-1 Limited Silver」も当サービスの対象ですのでご安心を!
なお、アップグレードサービスを利用されないお客様のためにも「PENTAX K-1」としての機能拡張ファームウェアアップデートなどのサポートは、今後も継続してご提供します。
「PENTAX K-1」は長い間Kマウントフルサイズ一眼レフカメラを熱望してきた多くの人々の声に応えて生まれた製品です。新製品「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」ともども“フルサイズのK”をよろしくお願いします。

["Pentax K-1" upgrade service]
It's a scholarship. We'll let you know about new services with the announcement of the new product " Pentax K-1 Mark II
The "Pentax K-1" upgrade service will start from may 21, 2018, as a new attempt.
This is a program to customize the camera body that is used by the first k-1 users. This allows k-1 to be upgraded to a new product "Mark II" and performance performance.
Learn more about the upgrade service: ?PENTAX K-1????????????????????RICOH IMAGING
* 'Pentax K-1 LIMITED SILVER' is also the subject of this service!

Also, for customers who do not use upgrade services, support for feature expansion firmware updates as "Pentax K-1" will continue to continue.

"Pentax K-1" is a product that has been born in response to many people who have been eager to have a k-Mount Full-Size SLR camera for a long time. Thank you for the new product " Pentax K-1 Mark II " with " full size k
Just read from Pentax Japan Facebook page, it said they will continue to provide "K-1" firmware updates. But, they didn't say to what extent the feature expansion will be done in new firmware.
02-23-2018, 03:03 AM   #133
Veteran Member

I am looking for my FA50 ...
Certainly they will offer an upgrade service for it, too.

02-23-2018, 04:10 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im thinking my K-3 could use this service. c'mon Pentax
02-23-2018, 05:13 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Best to wait for the details on this one? For example, if the upgrade includes a full clean, check and reset then that might be a 150++ value right there. What you get back is essentially factory refurbished. Ditto if what comes back has an extended warranty. Ditto if the upgrade is done in a timely fashion, weeks not months. If none of those things apply then perhaps it's not such great value. Have to wait and look at the details, I think. FWIW, I think Ricoh backed themselves into a corner with this one. If they offered nothing to K1 owners, there would have been very poor vibes given that no one was expecting a replacement model so soon. But if they offered too much to K1 owners, especially too much by way of free firmware updates, then the revenue from the Mark II project would take a hit. So they've steered a middle course.