Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 218 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
if the dynamic pixel shift is as good as what advertised, it might be worthy to do that.

02-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If someone were to take a photo of their mainboard before and after the upgrade, that would (hopefully) put to rest the mumblings about the "accelerator chip" being only a software improvement/change...
02-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
Pentaxian

"West Caldwell, NJ". Now I know where Ricoh's USA camera staff are hiding
02-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Do we trust precision cameras? I've quite few horror stories.
well.. I've had a horror story years ago.. with a lens.

Opening up the body means breaking the weather sealing (at least temporarily). I would hope they replace the rubber seals that are exposed but I suspect they won't. That would be my only concern and its a minor one. I think they seem to have a fairly decent track record of body repair... so no I think it would be ok. Especially with this being a specific procedure and not a guessing game for them to work through before repairing. It is with lenses I'd have a second thought.

02-21-2018, 05:02 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pretty cool- but wouldn't it be more economical to sell your K-1 and buy a K-1 II?

Doubt you'll hear any horror stories with something like this, that's fresh and current.
02-21-2018, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a really great idea and something I was hoping for. In one of the original threads about a possible new full frame camera, the source text referenced sounded like an upgrade was possible. I wasn't sure if it was just the translation or reality. So, kudos to Ricoh/Pentax for this. Having bought my K-1 last June, this gives me a path I'll probably take and makes me feel much better about shelling out the bucks when I did. I think it also sends a pretty positive message regarding taking care of the customer on a long term path. Doesn't strike me as the signs of a company planning an exit from this market segment.

Wonder what else CP+ holds?
02-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good news indeed! Looking forward to some photo results and reviews that make it seem worthwhile to upgrade. I'd also like to see some positive reports abput the upgrade process from the brave souls who first get their cameras back from Precision. Probably too tight an upgrade window for that though... Upgrade now or forever stiff your pixel shift.

02-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty cool- but wouldn't it be more economical to sell your K-1 and buy a K-1 II?

Doubt you'll hear any horror stories with something like this, that's fresh and current.
That has certainly crossed my mind. It will be interesting to see what market prices do after the release, and since this is a limited time upgrade offer, the pressure is on to do something one way or the other. And what is the warranty after the upgrade?
02-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In the UK, SRS Microsystems is offering a trade-in deal for excellent-condition K-1 with <=10,000 shutter count plus £699 for a new K-1II. That would be my choice, as you get a completely new camera... but I can understand some people going for the board upgrade where it's available... In those circumstances, it's great to have the choice
02-21-2018, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Pretty cool- but wouldn't it be more economical to sell your K-1 and buy a K-1 II.
My K1 value has drop 550$ Since this news about upgrade possibility. 😵
02-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Opening up the body means breaking the weather sealing (at least temporarily). I would hope they replace the rubber seals that are exposed but I suspect they won't. That would be my only concern and its a minor one. I think they seem to have a fairly decent track record of body repair... so no I think it would be ok. Especially with this being a specific procedure and not a guessing game for them to work through before repairing. It is with lenses I'd have a second thought.
The service manual for the K10D state replacing the weather seals is standard operating procedure whenever the body is opened. I don't see this changing with later models.

Precision has had a good track record for the past 2 or so years. Warranty would be at least Precisions standard 90 day warranty perhaps longer.
02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sell current K-1 for around $1,450 give or take add the $550 to what you get for selling your current K-1 and have a brand new camera with a new warranty for about the same price. Unless of course, the used price for the K-1 drops significantly after the new release.
02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome!
02-21-2018, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
My K1 value has drop 550$ Since this news about upgrade possibility. ��
Surely not?

It drops in value to some extent purely because it's being replaced by a newer model. Users who pay the $550 to have their cameras upgraded will be able to sell it on for more than your camera is currently worth, but less than a new K-1II.

Of course, there will still be demand for the original unmodified K-1, especially with people who don't care about the new features... and that should keep original K-1 prices reasonably healthy.

Fret not... enjoy your camera

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-21-2018 at 05:46 PM.
02-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonder if any K-1 can be upgraded or just the original customer? The current posting doesn't seem to specify. Will there be a glut of used K-1 sales as people try to do a calculated flip, or is it just the opposite, not many because many will upgrade, and then the value of a non upgraded K-1 will tank? Will that be the dreaded scenario, missed the upgrade and now the value dropped in comparison? Let's hope the new pixel shift and SR is that good!