Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #61
Forum Member

Two things I'm interested in:

1. How much will the AF and low light performance improve?

2. Will they upgrade K-1 Silver Editions? Being one of only a handful of people with a K-1 Mk. II Silver Edition sounds kind of cool.

02-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Wow - some can find a negative in anything.

This is good news people!

I do think it's a very smart move from Pentax to give the opportunity to K1 users to upgrade their camera, and I'm ready to invest 550€ in my body.

I didn't want to sound negative Sandy but at the same time I don't think the original unmodified K1 will hold its value. I might be wrong of course.

Now I'm very curious to see how it's gonna be handled in France, Ive had mitigate experience with Pentax repair service with my K1 so far. No idea how long it's gonna take to do the upgrade for example.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
02-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SRS UK will trade in a K-1 body for a K1II for £699. If it were me I would spend the extra bit for a brand new body and warranty...
02-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
SRS UK will trade in a K-1 body for a K1II for £699. If it were me I would spend the extra bit for a brand new body and warranty...
That’s smart !

02-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #65
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Unprecedented move.
Well done, Pentax!
Nikon also had an upgrade service for the D3 to make it faster.
02-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1 is less than a month old, but I’ll be either doing the upgrade, or trading in. I’m not real worried about prices dropping drastically, but how long would it take to sell a used K1?

Personally I think this is a great thing, this is taking care of your customer base. Guess I’ll be either buying a second K1 (think silver) or a KP to use while mine is getting upgraded.
02-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Wow! I'm definitely in. I was going to pass on the II version, but this is great.

For some reason I think there will be even more to come.

I'm getting nice results at iso 4000 with the K1 already. This is substantially cropped. Will the K1 II even be better than this?
Compared to this High-resolution design | PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
Your cropped ISO 4000 looks a hair better than the Uncroped 25600 shots from the K1ii. I cant even see any noise in the 6400 images. Obviously we won’t know the full story till we see full size photos.

02-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #68
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If I can get a stop of performance for $690 I'm in. That is doubling the shutter speed, stopping down a full stop for depth of field. I got at least a stop of performance moving from the K3 to the K1, probably a bit more, and I'm able to shoot at dusk and dawn, carefully. Another stop buys opens up that magic moment when wildlife starts moving around.
I can't be bothered with reading the DxO tests and all that, but I believe I can see about a 1.5 stop improvement from K-3 to K-1. I find that fantastic already. If they can squeeze another full stop out of that sensor with a new chip... I find it hard to believe they can, but as you say, we shall see.

Good thing this offer will never come to Norway - great deals never do - so no need to lose any sleep over this for me
02-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good thing this offer will never come to Norway - great deals never do - so no need to lose any sleep over this for me
Why wouldn't it come to Norway?
02-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Nikon also had an upgrade service for the D3 to make it faster.
Wikipedia says it was just more RAM for the buffer.

This is a motherboard replacement!

Happy to be shown that's been done before.
02-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #71
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Wow - some can find a negative in anything.

This is good news people!
Come on Sandy, come up with something original

D-FA* 85mm f1.4 also coming - Page 88 - PentaxForums.com
02-22-2018, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

And you know this better then we do? It will come to Norway too, so stop talking about stuff you dont know anything about!
02-22-2018, 01:36 AM   #73
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Why wouldn't it come to Norway?
Purely speculation on my part. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect there simply aren't enough potential customers for Pentax to go with serious campaigns or price drops here.

I'm not complaining, though. Nobody is forcing me to buy anything. And I mostly buy second-hand anyway, including the K-1 I have now.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
And you know this better then we do? It will come to Norway too, so stop talking about stuff you dont know anything about!
Hey, if I should stop talking about stuff I don't know anything about there wouldn't be much to say!

But no, I don't know anything, just speculating from past experience (as I said above). Nobody will be happier than me if I'm wrong.

We will see
02-22-2018, 01:38 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
I guess that's brilliant marketing for ya.
Sorry - haven't you been reading? An understandable mistake, given the circumstances, but it's well known that Ricoh sucks at marketing, like everything else. ( )
02-22-2018, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

We will see
There's nothing to see..I can tell already it will come