Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #136

Only in North American and Asian. I never find the same announce in European

02-23-2018, 05:40 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty cool- but wouldn't it be more economical to sell your K-1 and buy a K-1 II?

Doubt you'll hear any horror stories with something like this, that's fresh and current.
Hi Adam, I dont post much but I follow, what is the big deal with everyone and the K1 upgrade I have had my K1 more or less since it was available here in Thailand, I bought mine June 2016, I have never even tried Pixel Shift, just wondering how many whiners have on this site who say not enough from Pentax aka Ricoh nothing pleases most people, funny most should stop the whining and take more with the Beautiful K1, buy an Arriflex if you want to Make Movies, a bit pissed off with so much negativity here, sure they are a bit slow with the full frame lenses but time is a good Valuator on the Pentax Faithful, Ian.

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, I think we've worn this one out...
YES I agree
02-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Wow! I'm definitely in. I was going to pass on the II version, but this is great.

For some reason I think there will be even more to come.

I'm getting nice results at iso 4000 with the K1 already. This is substantially cropped. Will the K1 II even be better than this?
WOW Derek!! Such a beautifully sharp pic! What lens did you use? Still using my K3ll but the K1 ll may need to be considered.
02-23-2018, 05:59 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Cardboard stencil and a white spray can?

It is intriguing ... effectively selling the new camera to its previous owners.
HAHAHA you got it right

02-23-2018, 06:18 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpysz123 Quote
Only in North American and Asian. I never find the same announce in European
If you are talking about the upgrade service then you haven't looked very hard.

£450 in the UK.
02-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
WOW Derek!! Such a beautifully sharp pic! What lens did you use? Still using my K3ll but the K1 ll may need to be considered.
150-450 pentax.
02-23-2018, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #142
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi Adam, I dont post much but I follow, what is the big deal with everyone and the K1 upgrade I have had my K1 more or less since it was available here in Thailand, I bought mine June 2016, I have never even tried Pixel Shift
I think folks are mainly just concerned with the lack of signs of life from Ricoh. They're clearly working on things, but terrible as always on keeping in touch.

By the way, if you haven't tried pixel shift, you're missing out! Really cool feature for any still subject when you're shooting with a tripod (and apparently the tripod requirement will now be going away with the K-1 II).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is a smart move for Pentax - I'm not so sure it is a smart move for me, I'm happy with my K-1 the way it is but maybe I could be happier. Maybe I will wait and see what the turn around time for the upgrade is. After all, being without my K-1 for an extended time is a cost to me and it might be smarter to put the $550.00 into another K-1 body.

I reckon my decision will depend on the feedback I read here from others who have made the move.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 02-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
02-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Cardboard stencil and a white spray can?

It is intriguing ... effectively selling the new camera to its previous owners.
They are replacing the SR logo no tthe K1 logo
02-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So you have an ol' mountain truck that's worth about $5000...
You put in a nice $3000 stereo system...
What do you have now? A $5000 mountain truck...
BUT you get to listen to great music!

Apply the metaphor (though K1 is no mountain truck)...if you'll enjoy the new pixel shift then do it! If you don't listen to music don't put in the stereo.

Note to self: Please don't make any of us consider the used value six years from now for any consumer electronic item we may own. The K1 and K1II will sell for within $100 of each other some day just like K5/K5II, K3/K3II. Maybe more due to hardware but still, it's consumer electronics, let's not get carried away with residual value...
02-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
So you have an ol' mountain truck that's worth about $5000...
You put in a nice $3000 stereo system...
What do you have now? A $5000 mountain truck...
BUT you get to listen to great music!
Reminds me of when we bought my Kia Sportage (yee haw, where you at Gator?} The guy who sold it put a $600 stereo in. He was so disappointed we didn't care. First time I took it for fill up the gas station owner/mechanic who pumped my gas said "What are you a teenager?" I eventually took out the big sub-woofer. It took the place of two garbage bags on my dump runs. I can't afford to lose that kind of capacity. Especially since my wife and I have a "no music in the car" policy. Car time is talk time. That seriously limits how often our car stereo gets used.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
it's consumer electronics, let's not get carried away with residual value...
especially since an awful lot of it ends up in the dump. I tried to give my 32 inch tube TV to the Sally Ann, they wouldn't take it. I put and add up offering to give it away, no one wanted it.
02-23-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #147
Banned

Wikipedia says it was just more RAM for the buffer.

This is a motherboard replacement!

Happy to be shown that's been done before.
Just saw this. Yes only RAM, I forgot that (boy memory was expensive). But there is a big difference. The D3 was a 5000 $ camera and the buffer update was 500, so 10 % upmark in price. The people I know who did this all had the same thing. Sportscamera D3 where the shutter failed (they make a lot of images). So you send in the camera for a repair, new shutter, more ram memory, new seals and completely cleaned. The bill was 900 euro for the 5000 euro costing camera.

For the K-1 that is bought for 1.999 euro the upgrade of 500 euro is a 25 % upmark. That is a lot for people to do. Ofcourse isn't it to expensive for the work that is done. A new K-1 is now available for 1699 euro.....

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 02-23-2018 at 12:26 PM.
02-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Ditto if the upgrade is done in a timely fashion, weeks not months.
If Precision were smart (or any of the worldwide service centers for that matter, but especially Precision) they'd take orders, put them into a first-in-first-out queue with each camera having a set service date, then have people send in their cameras a week before the service date. This is a largely repetitive operation so they should be able to figure out how long each board replacement will take, on average, with not too much deviation. If things turn out to go a little faster or slower, they can send update emails advising the customer of a different service date and date to send the camera in.

But hey, I'm not in the camera service business, so good luck everyone! (Myself included.)
02-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #149
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For the K-1 that is bought for 1.999 euro the upgrade of 500 euro is a 25 % upmark. That is a lot for people to do. Ofcourse isn't it to expensive for the work that is done. A new K-1 is now available for 1699 euro.....
There are already 32 users on this forum who've claimed in a poll thread that's only been up a day that they're probably going to do this upgrade, Ron, so how clever is that? Ricoh get that 25% upmark, win-win as another member observed.

For people who've only been APS-C owners until now, that 1699 euro price on the K-1 must be tempting, sure!

Last edited by clackers; 02-23-2018 at 01:28 PM.
02-23-2018, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #150
Pentaxian

For people who've only been APS-C owners until now, that 1699 euro price on the K-1 must be tempting, sure!
The OZ prices @times are a lot better.