Photos: Gallery
Mine are chained up in the cellar!

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
'Elegant Lady', 'Majestic Princess',

---------- Post added 02-24-18 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Town Bike', etc.
I believe you are quite knowledgable in this category!...I know you lock them away.

Last edited by surfar; 02-23-2018 at 03:44 PM.
02-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #167
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You're correct when you say the cheaper and maybe the smartest thing to do is simply to hang on to the K-1 as it is. Maybe, because it will be smart for some and not for others. As with most choices in the hobby, the right choice is a personal thing.

One smart choice, at least where hobbyists are concerned, is to do what makes you happy... and even if it's not always the best option, there's nothing wrong with feeling happy
I think it's good that we are all different. I bought a lot of cars over the past 3 decades and I never spend any money on the option of shiny rims...... some do spend a lot on them.
02-23-2018, 03:54 PM - 6 Likes   #168
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shiny rims don't make you go faster. An accelerator unit on the other hand....

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-23-2018 at 04:08 PM.
02-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #169
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think it's good that we are all different. I bought a lot of cars over the past 3 decades and I never spend any money on the option of shiny rims...... some do spend a lot on them.
Agreed

I'm not a shiny rims guy either... I did, however, upgrade my current car from base specification by adding a few functional extras (integrated sat-nav, MP3 audio etc.). They've been extremely useful... and in any case I enjoy having them. Money well spent... for me

02-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #170
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Shiny rims don't make you go faster. An accelerator unit on the hand....
Nice... I see what you did there
02-23-2018, 04:36 PM - 4 Likes   #171
Pentaxian

Some here have expressed concern about trusting Precision Camera with their K1's. I am not worried in the slightest about Precision performing this K1 to K1ii conversion perfectly. Here's why...

Pentax/Ricoh are intelligent business people. They must realize that these K1 conversions must be done well at each designated conversion facility throughout the world.

I believe that Pentax will do what is needed to thoroughly train and qualify the technician (s) at each conversion facility. The designated K1 to K1ii technicians will either go to Japan for training, or a Japanese trainer will travel to the various conversion sites throughout the world.

Pentax knows that if this is not done right, they would risk loosing the trust of many of their most loyal customers.

I've worked for a few large companies with many worldwide locations. When corporate would roll out important new policies they'd either bring representatives from each location in to home office for training, or corporate staff (like me) would travel to the remote locations to conduct the training there.

Something as important to Pentax's future as upgrading K1's will not be left up to the individual conversion locations to figure out on their own. I am confident that these conversions will be done properly - I'd bet my K1 on it...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-23-2018 at 04:47 PM.
02-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does this mean the K-1 II still has USB2? Or will the new mainboard upgrade that to USB3? I can't imagine how they'd replace the USB2 connector... As someone who shoots mostly on a tripod and tethered to a laptop these days, my main complaint is the slow USB2 transfer speed. It's painful at times, especially with full size RAW files. This is my main bottleneck at live events where things need to move fast. I was really hoping to see USB3 get added.

The other new features are extremely welcome and I'm sure I'll make good use of them, although I was also hoping for an ISO 80 or 50 (or 25!) to make it easier to light my portable studio with strobes in midday sun without having to resort to a neutral density filter.

02-23-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Maybe he thinks Ricoh Imaging should put the K-1 II on hold
Maybe Ron can get the old K-01 upgraded?
02-23-2018, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Especially since my wife and I have a "no music in the car" policy. Car time is talk time. That seriously limits how often our car stereo gets used
My wife and I have a similar arrangement. However, in retirement, after 30 years of marrage, we agreed that “Audio books” isn’t cheating.....

---------- Post added 24-02-18 at 11:19 AM ----------

I’ve decided to let my two K1’s self medicate. I’ve let them place a couple of prints in a show down this way.... they earn the money.... they can get the plastic surgery....
02-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #175
Pentaxian

Ok my consideration only what kind warranty will be after upgrade Anybody has any idea?
Standard Precision camera warranty after repair only 90 day..
02-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

marvellous of Pentax to offer this upgrade for the K-1's, I hope this is also an option for late adopters in the future, well done Pentax
02-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #177
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Does this mean the K-1 II still has USB2? Or will the new mainboard upgrade that to USB3? I can't imagine how they'd replace the USB2 connector... As someone who shoots mostly on a tripod and tethered to a laptop these days, my main complaint is the slow USB2 transfer speed. It's painful at times, especially with full size RAW files. This is my main bottleneck at live events where things need to move fast. I was really hoping to see USB3 get added.
Won't be possible with that same image processor they and the Nikon D810 bought from Fujitsu/Socionext, Goreman:

The official presentation (Ricoh) of the Pentax Mark II - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com
02-24-2018, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I believe that Pentax will do what is needed to thoroughly train and qualify the technician (s) at each conversion facility. The designated K1 to K1ii technicians will either go to Japan for training, or a Japanese trainer will travel to the various conversion sites throughout the world.
I have little doubt that what you say is true, Fenwoodian. However, I also hope that they don't work on my unit on Friday afternoon.

The only question I have is wrt how long the procedure will take? I know no one has any accurate info on that, but has Pentax or Precision said anything about that? Reason why is I have two units (black and silver) and would like to send them in one at a time, but the window seems like it might be tight if it takes them forever to transmogrify these cameras.

BTW: I'm in the "this service is way cool" camp, and almost makes me think of the days before designed obsolescence.
02-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My wife and I have a similar arrangement. However, in retirement, after 30 years of marrage, we agreed that “Audio books” isn’t cheating.....

---------- Post added 24-02-18 at 11:19 AM ----------

I’ve decided to let my two K1’s self medicate. I’ve let them place a couple of prints in a show down this way.... they earn the money.... they can get the plastic surgery....
Your wife and I wouldn't get along as I don't talk when driving. Music it is.
02-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #180
Pentaxian

I just curious how many total K-1 camera we have across US . more as 1000 or more How much they expected go to upgrade . For mouths with repair another product Sony,Nikon its crease task

My questions why they set up upgade only from limited time from May 21, 2018 – September 30, 2018.
What will be after 09/30 . ???? Something new coming or what ????