Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
what does this mean?
I don't know.. the SR logo looks the same on both cameras.

---------- Post added 02-21-18 at 08:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is an interesting blurb to me. They seem to be speaking specifically of the mark II having improvements in AF.C?

here is the blurb about autofocus from the K-1 mark 1:

Or is that still referring to a comparison of it and SAFOX 11?
Interesting! It's not clear if it has been improved from mark 1

---------- Post added 02-21-18 at 08:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
glad I held off on my K1 purchase. K1 ii here I come! when will it be in stock?
Already able to preorder on the online stores. Ships in April

Last edited by Tesla; 02-21-2018 at 09:52 PM.
02-21-2018, 09:39 PM - 8 Likes   #17

I just placed my order for the new Mk II with Adorama (also including the 28-105mm lens) and they included the battery grip at no additional charge. I know I made the right decision to go with Pentax. The more I research this company, the more I appreciate it.
02-21-2018, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I've got the K-1 and I'm happy with it.

The K-1 ll has incremental, evolutionary changes and in my view that is the Pentax philosophy of design. I did think the new camera was going to have a new sensor with 40 something MP's...whatever the new Sony sensor used in the Nikon D850 with Pentax tweaks, so maintaining the same sensor MP is a surprise. But I must say the 36 MP full frame sensor is a honey of a sensor.

If I didn't have my K-1, I'd certainly be looking at the K-1 ll. Good to see the new camera, continuing the Pentax full frame DSLR line.
02-21-2018, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm quite excited about this. Great camera with some incremental improvements. I didn't get a K1, think I'll go for the mark II.

02-21-2018, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

can't wait to see how low the price of the K-1-1 gets. lol
02-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've got the K-1 and I'm happy with it.

The K-1 ll has incremental, evolutionary changes and in my view that is the Pentax philosophy of design. I did think the new camera was going to have a new sensor with 40 something MP's...whatever the new Sony sensor used in the Nikon D850 with Pentax tweaks, so maintaining the same sensor MP is a surprise. But I must say the 36 MP full frame sensor is a honey of a sensor...
From what I understand, that's not how Sony works. Every customer, including Sony itself, is treated as a separate partition and information is not directly shared between products. That means if Nikon got a 40MP sensor, then Pentax can ask to develop a 40MP sensor but they can't say "I want the one in the Nikon with these tweaks..."
While existing technology means the guys at Sony can potentially short cut the process, it is of no guarantee if Nikon paid for the development of specific technologies. It's the only way that Sony, which also has a camera business, can keep the business from other camera vendors for its imaging chips and have the volume to pay for the cost of the fabs.

Keep in mind Pentax(Ricoh) does not have the volume to pay for new sensors (both imaging and autofocus units) at the rate that Nikon or Canon can. New chips are exceedingly expensive to tape out these days.
02-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. I did think the new camera was going to have a new sensor with 40 something MP's...whatever the new Sony sensor used in the Nikon D850
Well, the sensor in the Nikon is TowerJazz,not Sony...When Sony develop a new FF sensor for their cameras RI will be able to afford the "old hat" 42mp sensor Sony has in the A7r3.

02-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The upgrade offer looks fantastic - if they offer it in NZ I'm keen to upgrade.
02-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
Am I the only one here to think it's a non-event? Everyone's smug for a very minor advance of the K-1... I don't see anything fundamentally revolutionary in these few new developments. Just the impression that pentax remains on a defensive position, and stagnates more than it advances. Sorry, for me I only see here a rather disturbing sign, open to you to see a outstanding spirit of innovation....
Well said.
02-21-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #25

Perhaps PF could compile an article on what is actually different in this new model?
02-21-2018, 10:19 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had my K-1 for over 18 months, now, and it's been with me on travels near and far. I could possibly use the benefits of the revised body, as I've only lightly dabbled in the first version of PS, so maybe a hand-held option would entice me to look further at it. I didn't think the K-3ii had enough in it to attract me from my K-3 either, so maybe I'll wait for the next APS-C body. Having said that, I think Ricoh is showing a clear ongoing development commitment here with the K-1ii, just as it did with the K-3ii. If it's not far or fast enough for some, that's life, which is too short to spend time complaining on internet forums.
02-21-2018, 10:21 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
Am I the only one here to think it's a non-event? Everyone's smug for a very minor advance of the K-1... I don't see anything fundamentally revolutionary in these few new developments. Just the impression that pentax remains on a defensive position, and stagnates more than it advances. Sorry, for me I only see here a rather disturbing sign, open to you to see a outstanding spirit of innovation....
I'm sorry you feel that way, and I believe you are incorrect.

At another photo discussion forum, a place where Pentax is usually ignored, a thread was started by someone not me, and has received considerable responses, about the new hand-held pixel shift. A Pentax innovation being noticed by people who often don't even admit that Pentax exists.

I believe the 'accelerator' has the potential to revolutionize how we use photography.

I don't see these as 'defensive' at all.
02-21-2018, 10:25 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Perhaps PF could compile an article on what is actually different in this new model?
The starting point is from the Pentax Rumors website:

Here are the main improvements over the previous K-1 version:

Improved AF tracking algorithms
ISO extended to 819,200
Better color reproduction (especially blues and greens)
Pixel Shift Resolution System II – you can use high-res mode without a tripod

Read more: Pentax Rumors | Pentax + Ricoh news and more
02-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Dissapointed. I guess we need to see how the improvements really pan out.
02-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well, the sensor in the Nikon is TowerJazz,not Sony
Someone better tell TowerJazz that Sony is telling everyone that's its built by them