Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LilithBaerchen Quote
let’s hope for the next APS-C to get the fancy new things
exactly, yes I would think so too The II versions are updates to the previous camera and good ones too

02-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sure the nay-sayers will be all over the place, but to me this is great news! Goes to show that the K-1 didn't leave much to be improved. Also (reading between the lines) I see that the K-1 was built with the accelerator in mind (but they couldn't finish it in time.) A great camera just got greater!
02-22-2018, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LilithBaerchen Quote
Aaaah Kenspo - the bigger the rockstars the older (and slower) they are So you can´t compare them to the neighbor’s cat

/ironie

I hope to get my hands on a K1-II for concert shots, the changes sound promising (and yet I hoped they will pack in just a tiny bit more new stuff but hey, let’s hope for the next APS-C to get the fancy new things ^^)
I laughed!

Im sure the K-1ii will be even more amazing!
02-22-2018, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think these improvements are not at all unsubstantial, provided that they pass real world testing of course. This is an Mk II camera after all, not a new camera model. And there seems to be no price increase compared to Mk I, plus the upgrade service offered for Mk I models is a great move. I do not understand what the hell some people were expecting...some glasses are always half empty, I guess.

02-22-2018, 02:06 AM - 11 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t get it... A few months ago no one expected anything new in FF from Pentax, many of us expected to have at least a 3 year upgrade path. Now we have not only a mark II, but an offer to upgrade the hardware on our mark I and we’re complaining?

I’ll get my K1 upgraded, and get the mark II in silver. And you can find me out somewhere shooting.
02-22-2018, 02:11 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
...the early adopters will tell us if the shutter problem for one has been fixed in this II version...
Please can you elaborate? A quick search didn't bring anything up...
02-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I don’t get it... A few months ago no one expected anything new in FF from Pentax, many of us expected to have at least a 3 year upgrade path. Now we have not only a mark II, but an offer to upgrade the hardware on our mark I and we’re complaining?

I’ll get my K1 upgraded, and get the mark II in silver. And you can find me out somewhere shooting.
Exactly! Anyone who shoots K-1 understands the mkII improvements are most welcomed!
What bothers me though is this:
I
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/360955-i-m-done-pentaxfo...ml#post4209007

Many loyal members don't get ti too...

02-22-2018, 02:28 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Improved AF algorithms (all improvements helps)
If there is an measurable improvement in real life shooting conditions. K-3 II had the same "improvement" on the press release and in practice, the af was the same as the one from K3.

Better ISO (crucial for me)
Again, let's see it in practice, because the above text looks like a copy paste text from the press release of K-3 II which Ricoh said it will handle ISO better than K3 and in reality, both performed exactly the same.

So to all you complainers, you really dont need a D5 to shoot your neighbors cat or flowers.
An amateur photographer doesn't need a D5 or a K1 for shooting cats or flowers. A smartphone it's good enough these days for this kind of images. I understand and agree with your above irony and I understand that it's a facelift and they didn't wanted to spend to much money on new features for this new model, but please don't tell me that a USB 3.0 would have been a huge cost for Ricoh. It's a 36mp camera and people do shoot tethered from time to time and they do transfer images on their computers. And since is a Mark II camera, why they didn't do anything about the 15 to 30 seconds which are needed to clear the buffer after a burst of 5-9 images? These would have been measurables improvements unlike the one above which remain to be seen if they are true.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-22-2018 at 02:35 AM.
02-22-2018, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

We'll have all the answers soon enough
02-22-2018, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I agree with the original author and disagree with you.
If you name Pentax's move an innovation, then how would you describe all the amazing new upgrades by other manufacture? I'm a die hard pentax fan, but also own another brand and I can tell you with confidence that Pentax isn't at innovative as what we advertise. Innovation isn't just about producing something new. One should be able to measure its ourcome. Is pixelshift more crucial for a photographer or blazingly fast AF with larger buffer size? Look what sony has done with their AF system and eye tracking feature. This is more productive and appealing to photographers than what pentax has done.
People may have noticed what you describe as pentax innovation, but it's not appealing enough for them to switch brands or use Pentax as a second system.
I know this forum is so biased towards pentax including myself, but truth needs to be said and heard. PENTAX has taken a very poor marketing and business strategy over the past few years. Pentax needs more revenue generated by non-pentax shooters than by its own fans in order to survive and keep up with today's photographer needs. Ricoh can not and will not invest in newer technology as we just witnessed, rebadging its current inventory and switching the main citcuit board.
An incremental improvement is not the same as an innovation.
02-22-2018, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #56

I'm "cautiously positive" to the improvements if they do what is claimed, but can someone explain how a couple of these impovements are possible; the iso-improvement and colors...don't we have the same sensor in mk1 and 2, and thus the same raw data? So what is done is better in-camera processing resulting in better jpegs (or better cooked raws? could save some work in pp even if so..), or am I missing something basic here?

Or to rephrase, is there anything that the new hardware can do regarding iso and color, that can't be done in pp? (and of so, what does it do and how?)
02-22-2018, 03:33 AM   #57
Veteran Member

dose any one know is there upgrade program in Europe?
02-22-2018, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I think this is the third Pentax DSLR to get a Mark II version, so it must be working for them better than the internet MBA commentators think it should. Major resigns can get pushed to every 5-ish years with solid hardware updates mid cycle so the cameras stays fresh... unlike the Canon 6D and 5D which linger or the Nikon D610 and D750 and D4 and Df and etc or the Fuji Xpro1 and XT-1 that lingered forever without any updates beyond firmware, if that.

I’ll add that not that long ago a 1+ stop improvement in low light shooting, better autofocus, and better colors was worthy of a completely new camera as they were major achievements. In the past we assumed a lot of it came from newer sensors; therefore my assumption is we’ve reached a plateau in sensor tech and now it’s the rest of the hardware that’s the bottleneck. This update makes sense to me and offering the upgrade service to existing users is going above and beyond.

Something not mentioned yet... doesn’t this update make the K1ii the best low light camera currently available, bar none?
The 645z is pretty nifty on the low light front
02-22-2018, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
dose any one know is there upgrade program in Europe?
Yes there is
02-22-2018, 03:46 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Yes there is
Good news, now I hope my local Lithuanian Pentax represents will provide it too...