Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 341 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
I'm "cautiously positive" to the improvements if they do what is claimed, but can someone explain how a couple of these impovements are possible; the iso-improvement and colors...don't we have the same sensor in mk1 and 2, and thus the same raw data? So what is done is better in-camera processing resulting in better jpegs (or better cooked raws? could save some work in pp even if so..), or am I missing something basic here?

Or to rephrase, is there anything that the new hardware can do regarding iso and color, that can't be done in pp? (and of so, what does it do and how?)
Its speculation how it functions, but the Accelerator is correcting the noisy pixels at the base ISO before it reaches the processor. Normal NR just smears the noise between pixels to try and hide it which destroys your detail. There is a stop of difference between the K3 and Kp with the same sensors, so the presumption is that the K1ii will see the same benefit. The low res images look at least 2 stops better than my K3 so I have no reason to doubt the benefits.

02-22-2018, 03:59 AM - 9 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand the angst in these threads. Pentax is releasing an upgraded version of the K-1. It will offer better low light/high iso images and more options with pixel shift. It will also have an extra 'I' next to the first 'I' on the K-1. Maybe it will have some improved auto focus algorithms on tracking.

In addition, Pentax will upgrade the cameras of those who already own K-1s (for a fee).

If these improvements don't do anything for you then that's fine. You've saved quite a bit of money. On the other hand, you can't really knock people who are, say, excited by better high iso on a camera that is already good at it and even more pleased that they can upgrade their current camera, rather than selling it and purchasing new.

Will I upgrade? I'm not honestly sure. I do shoot a lot of pixel shift and it isn't unusual that I'm shooting my kid's activities at iso 6400. Even if I don't upgrade, I have no reason to attack the improvements in the updated camera. Just because a piece of gear isn't something that fits my style of shooting doesn't mean that Pentax shouldn't release it. Unfortunately, it feels as though a lot of folks approach these discussions thinking that Pentax should design a camera specifically for them, leaving off the features they don't want/need and including the things they do and pricing it where they want. Only then, will Pentax be successful...

With fans like these, who needs enemies?

Last edited by Rondec; 02-22-2018 at 10:24 AM.
02-22-2018, 04:17 AM   #63
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The 645z is pretty nifty on the low light front
...and the 645Z Mk II will be even niftier

(No, I have no idea of what, if, or when Ricoh plans anything new!)
02-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Its speculation how it functions, but the Accelerator is correcting the noisy pixels at the base ISO before it reaches the processor. Normal NR just smears the noise between pixels to try and hide it which destroys your detail.
Well, there isn't noise between pixels, Rob, there are only pixels and their values, what's this thing do differently, do you guess?

Conventional noise reduction involves neighbour sampling ... you see one green pixel surrounded by red pixels, so you replace it with a red pixel also. It's lossy.

02-22-2018, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #65
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Unfortunately, it feels as though a lot of folks approach these discussions thinking that Pentax should design a camera specifically for them, leaving off the features they don't want/need and including the things they do and pricing it where they want.
I think you are right. Unfortunately.
02-22-2018, 04:34 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Good news, now I hope my local Lithuanian Pentax represents will provide it too...
It will be done centrally for Europe. For Greece I also will have to be sent in France or Germany most probably
02-22-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would add that if Pentax released an A9 killer camera with 20 frames per second 4K video and priced it at 3500 dollars, I would both be excited (to see what others could do with such a beast) and completely uninterested (not for me). I know they won't released such a camera, but I'm still glad when new products come out for K mount -- whether or not they are "revolutionary."

02-22-2018, 04:43 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand the angst in these threads. Pentax is releasing an upgraded version of the K-1. It will offer better low light/high iso images and more options with pixel shift. It will also have an extra 'I' next to the first 'I' on the K-1. Maybe it will have some improved auto focus algorithms on tracking.

In addition, Pentax will upgrade the cameras of those who already own K-1s.

If these improvements don't do anything for you then that's fine. You've saved quite a bit of money. On the other hand, you can't really knock people who are, say, excited by better high iso on a camera that is already good at it and even more pleased that they can upgrade their current camera, rather than selling it and purchasing new.

Will I upgrade? I'm not honestly sure. I do shoot a lot of pixel shift and it isn't unusual that I'm shooting my kid's activities at iso 6400. Even if I don't upgrade, I have no reason to attack the improvements in the updated camera. Just because a piece of gear isn't something that fits my style of shooting doesn't mean that Pentax shouldn't release it. Unfortunately, it feels as though a lot of folks approach these discussions thinking that Pentax should design a camera specifically for them, leaving off the features they don't want/need and including the things they do and pricing it where they want. Only then, will Pentax be successful...

With fans like these, who needs enemies?
There is no way to please everybody, regardless of the manufacturer. And it may look like people is negative, but for some, it is not called negativity, but the real experience from the past. I gave the example between K3 and K3 II at the only 2 things I was interested at that time: ISO and af. I skipped K3 as an upgrade from K-5 II and jumped straight to K-3 II because of the so called improvements in af algorithms and ISO which Ricoh said that there were added to K-3 II.

You seems to be into landscapes and because of that you tend to look with different eyes at K1 Mark II which was targeted from the beginning at landscape photographers, and tend to "close your eyes" at things like af, burst rate, 4k video, buffer capacity, SD writing speed, tethered transfer... These would have been features which many people would expect to be improved in a Mark II version of K1 (even if just slightly). So yes, a lot of people are somehow disappointed in the K1 Mark II specs, even in Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Nikon boats.
02-22-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, there isn't noise between pixels, Rob, there are only pixels and their values, what's this thing do differently, do you guess?

Conventional noise reduction involves neighbour sampling ... you see one green pixel surrounded by red pixels, so you replace it with a red pixel also. It's lossy.
Yes, my thoughts as well...for me, even if it's "just" a really smart NR algo that is better than most commercial ones, baked in, "cooking" the raws but on a very restrictive scale resulting in what appears to be better high-iso raws, that could still be a good feature, but still not something requiring hardware (other than for faster processing).

The 14-bit data should be able to house enough DR (and a fair bit of noise) without giving the internal processor any advantage in acting on the "unprocessed" raw data ....so I'm not sure what's left that it can do...perhaps things like sensor temperature can be incorporated into the NR to give a superior result compared to traditional NR?...or some sneaky blackframe-ish subtraction or similar based on previous images or knowledge of some kind of noise bias of individual pixels over time or some other tricks like that? I guess it's their secret sauce =), but if anyone knows and can "prove" that it's not just good built-in PP, I'd be all the happier =)

(But I guess it will be easier to compare this time; electronics and other vary quite a bit between the k3 and kp, so attributing all noise improvements to the accelerator may be hard to prove, but since they even offer an upgrade this time without a sensor change, I guess mk1+ software pp and mk2 would be easier and more reliable)
02-22-2018, 04:46 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well Im interested in seeing a side by side comparison between the K-1 no mark and K-1 mark II. The k-1 already seems to be pretty good so Ill be surprised if there is any meaningful improvement in IQ.
02-22-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

"As expected, the accelerator unit incorporated into the PENTAX K-1 Mark II not only helped achieve the super-high top sensitivity of ISO 819200 by employing the combination of the PRIME IV imaging engine and the 35mm full-frame sensor, but also greatly improved image quality at normal sensitivity ranges. "

"The AF system featuring a new algorithm assures high-precision focusing even with moving subjects. "

Shut up and take my money!!!

Last edited by Andrea K; 02-22-2018 at 04:57 AM.
02-22-2018, 04:53 AM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
d tend to "close your eyes" at things like af, burst rate, 4k video, buffer capacity, SD writing speed, tethered transfer... These would have been features which many people would expect to be improved in a Mark II version of K1
With all due respect, Dan, I don't think many Pentaxians can\would pay $2000 for a Pentax equivalent of the APS-C Nikon D500 or $4500 for a Pentax equivalent of the FF Sony A9, I reckon you're wrong about that.

You didn't, for example. You're super serious about your wildlife pictures but you went for a cheap Canon 6D when you jumped brands, right, and have ended up with a 5D instead of a 1Dx?

Last edited by clackers; 02-22-2018 at 05:03 AM.
02-22-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Shut up and take my money!!!
Ok, I will. Just send it to me.
02-22-2018, 04:59 AM   #74
Pentaxian

While Pentax is telling us how they're planning to sell the K-1 for a longer period, we should expect a new sensor (4K, burst speed), new processor (buffer, SD writing speed, USB) and new AF system? In other words, a completely new camera - the exact opposite of what Pentax is telling us?
02-22-2018, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
With all due respect, Dan, I don't think many Pentaxians would pay $2000 for a Pentax equivalent of the APS-C Nikon D500 or $4500 for a Pentax equivalent of the FF Sony A9, I reckon you're wrong about that.

You didn't, for example, you're super serious about your pictures but you went for a cheap Canon 6D when you jumped brands, right, and have ended up with a 5D instead of a 1Dx?
I doubt as well.
People secretely hope Pentax will deliver a D500 like APSC for half the price, which is unrealistic. Also, there is no need to develop something that replicates an existing product in same segment, it has to be and will be different.
At last a top APSC would eat in just released K1 II plate...