Interesting to see if they've got any surprises left in the locker for CP+
Lenses?

They need a 24-105/4 or a 24-90/4.

A 24mm prime would also be welcome.

02-22-2018, 07:01 AM - 3 Likes   #92
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With apologies if this has been posted before . . .

Some updates to the K-1 Special Site from Ricoh

Story from the developers
Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Impressions from photographer Yoshiaki Kobayashi
Impressions | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

And separately, some kind of hands-on impression from Yaotomi Camera (Google translated).
Google Translate
02-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I don't want to sound like a broken record as this has probably been said already in the pages of this thread but...to me this update is a bit rushed and doesn't offer that much to make me want to trade my 1 yr old K1 for the MKII...
I know the K1 is more geared towards landscape photographers, I'm one, that's one of the reasons I chose it for but think they could've waited more to improve in the areas the camera is weaker.

I take lots of landscape pics, but also wildlife and portraits and in these two latter cases I could use some more AF accuracy and speed and burst rate. 4K video...well that would certainly be nice but I can live with 1080 30FPS for the moment although that's a bit dated...USB 2...definitely yes (K3 MKII has USB 2...)...Considering this is Pentax flagship camera I think they could have waited and make it a more well rounded one, and please don't tell me "there's Nikon or Canon for this", I love my K1 and since I bought in a system with lenses and accessories, I would like to use it for the more things possible.
Just think of it as a mid-term refresh which they didn't have to do, but did anyway - the world suddenly looks rosier Major upgrades will come on the next APS-C then the next FF
02-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Lenses?

They need a 24-105/4 or a 24-90/4.

A 24mm prime would also be welcome.
Holy words!!!

02-22-2018, 07:06 AM - 3 Likes   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Improved AF algorithms (all improvements helps)
Better ISO (crucial for me)
Better color reproduction (for me working in extreme LED lights its lovely)
Pixel Shift Resolution System II – you can use high-res mode without a tripod (nothing I use, but good stuff)

The first K-1 was good enough for me shooting the biggest rockstars in the world, both at stage with smoke, difficult lights and in studio...So I'm pretty sure K-1ii will do even a better job.

So to all you complainers, you really dont need a D5 to shoot your neighbors cat or flowers.
Well said!

Although I will not become a K-1 (or K-1 II) buyer, I do appreciate this upgrade for those who will buy into the FF world for the first time, it is quite an accomplishment.
As for the complainers (and the trolls), they have made my Ignore List quite a bit larger since I started following this thread.
02-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Nice - I like the mountaineering metaphor, and the attitude behind the camera - those guys always sound like they believe in what they're doing and are excited about what they achieve - not just marketing hye - real Pentax spirit. One thing this confirms, incidentally is the the circuit board is that that's changed

---------- Post added 22-02-18 at 07:16 AM ----------

What's that lens he's got mounted in the profile pic?

Last edited by ffking; 02-22-2018 at 07:27 AM.
02-22-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
With all due respect, Dan, I don't think many Pentaxians can\would pay $2000 for a Pentax equivalent of the APS-C Nikon D500 or $4500 for a Pentax equivalent of the FF Sony A9, I reckon you're wrong about that.
I didn't say that. In fact, I said on a few threads that some people expect D5 or 1Dx af and performance for the price of K3, which is not possible. And I didn't asked for D5 performance. A simple USB 3.0 and a buffer clearing (things known to be problematic with K1) are far away from D5 performance that you think I asked for. When K1 was launched, the excuse for noy putting a USB 3.0 (despite the fact that K-3 II had one) was that K1 was in development long time before the release and they couldn't added USB 3.0. 2 years latter what is their excuse?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You didn't, for example. You're super serious about your wildlife pictures but you went for a cheap Canon 6D when you jumped brands, right, and have ended up with a 5D instead of a 1Dx?
Again I have to explain it because it seems that only when it suits you (not you in particular, but you people ) you understood my arguments. I moved to Canon for reasons that are not related to the performance of Pentax cameras and I said on various occasions that I can take all of my wildlife images that I took with my Canon gear even with with K1 or K-3 II, but I have to work a little harder to get the ones with action involved. My problems with Pentax which are not solved yet are with the system and with the poor representation of the brand here, in Romania. My gear was paid from corporate/portraits events. Wildlife is just a reason to go out and have fun. 5D Mark IV is better than 1Dx for the type of photography that pays for the gear I have.

I do wish Pentax solves some issues because it's cheaper than competition and it would make me go back someday. It's hard to see that they focus more and more on landscape/nature photography. And I promise that I will be the first to applaud Ricoh if the high ISO and af will be improved over K1.

02-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #98
Pentaxian

With apologies if this has been posted before . . .

Some updates to the K-1 Special Site from Ricoh

And separately, some kind of hands-on impression from Yaotomi Camera (Google translated).
Google Translate
Thanks the translate stuff sounds alittle like focus peaking during video.

Both still images and moving images can confirm subjects with real images and also contribute greatly to accurate focusing

I guess you can read Japanese. Is the above correct?
02-22-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #99
JPT
Pentaxian

Looks like they have it on display in the showrooms already. I wonder if they'll let you try it out.

I might try to have a look at the weekend if I go past during open hours.

It's actually released at a cheaper price than the K-1 was in Japan. Of course you can get a K-1 cheaper by now, but it's starting price is quite aggressive - around 228,000 yen body only and 279,000 with the 28-105.

---------- Post added 02-22-18 at 11:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Thanks the translate stuff sounds alittle like focus peaking during video.

Both still images and moving images can confirm subjects with real images and also contribute greatly to accurate focusing

I guess you can read Japanese. Is the above correct?
Well sadly I am not at the stage where I can read it with certainty, but I think it is talking about improved AF tracking ability in live view mode and video.
02-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
The upgrade offer looks fantastic - if they offer it in NZ I'm keen to upgrade.
The testing site was in New Zealand.
02-22-2018, 07:45 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Pentaxian

The link from
Yaotomi Camera
said something that caught my eye.

I have a K1. It is in very good shape, works just fine. I have two K3's and one K5. They sit in boxes. Fine instruments that are as good as when I bought them.

I purchased each one with the desire of expanding my shooting horizons. I got very nice shots with each one, and each improvement opened opportunities, which I have very much enjoyed. The K1 has my wildlife flash gear left at home.

I shoot quite a bit, but have not used up the rated shutter life expectancy.

I may be able to wear out the K1 with this hardware upgrade.

I started feeling like I grasped the K1 late last year; it is a very capable beast and as I probed it's limits it has proven to be subtle and reponsive to a careful touch. I am getting shots now that it can get. That limit is going to be moved, how substantially we will see.

And I can wear it out, it can grow old and comfortable in my hands.

The Theta is showing Ricoh the way; capable hardware accompanied by constant software improvements. Ahasiman suggested a major firmware upgrade was on the way; likely the K1 processing didn't give enough latitude for improvements, hence the board swap program. I suspect we will see more and more as time goes on with the K1 family.

I am very happy with how this is turning out.
02-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
There is no way to please everybody, regardless of the manufacturer. And it may look like people is negative, but for some, it is not called negativity, but the real experience from the past. I gave the example between K3 and K3 II at the only 2 things I was interested at that time: ISO and af. I skipped K3 as an upgrade from K-5 II and jumped straight to K-3 II because of the so called improvements in af algorithms and ISO which Ricoh said that there were added to K-3 II.

You seems to be into landscapes and because of that you tend to look with different eyes at K1 Mark II which was targeted from the beginning at landscape photographers, and tend to "close your eyes" at things like af, burst rate, 4k video, buffer capacity, SD writing speed, tethered transfer... These would have been features which many people would expect to be improved in a Mark II version of K1 (even if just slightly). So yes, a lot of people are somehow disappointed in the K1 Mark II specs, even in Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Nikon boats.
I don't think you read my follow up comment. I am glad for new gear, regardless on if it is targeted at me or not. I don't know if I will purchase a K1 II, but I'm glad if Pentax is releasing new gear. I couldn't afford a Pentax version of a 1Dx, but I can afford to upgrade my K-1 if I so choose. But I said in my follow up post that I would be happy if Pentax released a 4K, 20 frames per second monster too -- even if I personally am not interested in those features.

Honestly, it isn't though the Canon 6D to 6D II was a huge step up. Yes, there was some movement in auto focus, but the sensor remained the same (or a little worse) and I don't think Canon threw in 4K video either. You get what you pay for and this is a one hundred dollar "improvement" to stimulate sales. Anything more would be a lot more pricey. It doesn't say they shouldn't do it, but probably other projects are more important at present.
02-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Looking at the comments of the new camera...It seems there are more complaints than appreciation. I'm just glad Pentax/Ricoh is still here and making cameras. Still using my K20D but might upgrade to K-70 or K-3.
02-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Woot!
I await a more detailed review.
02-22-2018, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think you read my follow up comment. I am glad for new gear, regardless on if it is targeted at me or not. I don't know if I will purchase a K1 II, but I'm glad if Pentax is releasing new gear. I couldn't afford a Pentax version of a 1Dx, but I can afford to upgrade my K-1 if I so choose.
I'm trying to be glad, but it's difficult because K1 II is unexpected and with just very few improvements in 2 years.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, it isn't though the Canon 6D to 6D II was a huge step up. Yes, there was some movement in auto focus, but the sensor remained the same (or a little worse) and I don't think Canon threw in 4K video either. You get what you pay for and this is a one hundred dollar "improvement" to stimulate sales. Anything more would be a lot more pricey. It doesn't say they shouldn't do it, but probably other projects are more important at present.
6D Mark II brings:
6 more MP (26 vs 20)
45 af points, all of them cross type, with 23 compatibile to f8 (6D had 11, with only one cross type)
dual pixel af with face detection (this feature alone would worth the upgrade)
vari-angle touch screen
6.5 fps (6D had 4.4)
the same water resistance as 5D Mark IV

I think there are some big upgrades over the original 6D. Again, I don't want D5 kind of improvements on a Mark II camera from Pentax. I just want someone from Ricoh to read this forum and see where are the weak points of K1 and improve those. Would do much people happy and not only the landscape photographers.