Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I'm trying to be glad, but it's difficult because K1 II is unexpected and with just very few improvements in 2 years.

6D Mark II brings:
6 more MP (26 vs 20)
45 af points, all of them cross type, with 23 compatibile to f8 (6D had 11, with only one cross type)
dual pixel af with face detection (this feature alone would worth the upgrade)
vari-angle touch screen
6.5 fps (6D had 4.4)
the same water resistance as 5D Mark IV

I think there are some big upgrades over the original 6D. Again, I don't want D5 kind of improvements on a Mark II camera from Pentax. I just want someone from Ricoh to read this forum and see where are the weak points of K1 and improve those. Would do much people happy and not only the landscape photographers.
Those dual pixels for contast af increase noise. They are bad for anyone who is not interested in video. Canon has a significant presence in the video market, so for them it brings more benefits than cost. Pentax on the other hand would loose IQ hurting the niche they specialize in.

02-22-2018, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I thought an ambassador is supposed to be politically correct
Being polite is not the same as being politically correct – I'm sure you recognise the difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I will never be. I come without filter and are seen as a loose canon by Ricoh
Not much point putting a filter on a cannon, is there?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Would you care to enlighten us as the the reasons behind this momentous decision?

Personally, I have never felt happier with my choice to stay with Pentax.
You can be overly polite, too, of course.
02-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Well spotted!

---------- Post added 23-02-18 at 08:03 AM ----------

Would you care to enlighten us as the the reasons behind this momentous decision?

Thats the dfa*50/1.4 surely Some of the images are from it.
02-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #139

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Thats the dfa*50/1.4 surely Some of the images are from it.
Indeed:
QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
Go to the page here for K-1 II sample images. The last few images claim to have used the lens "HD PENTAX-D FA*50mmF1.4 SDM AW". Below it says: "The lens used is Beta version, and the name is tentative."

02-22-2018, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

I totally agree. I'm amazed in fact. I wasn't going to buy this one, and now I can get it for a bit more than my usual year 2 CLA charge.

I like this. $2k throwaway bodies do not make sense at all.
02-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #141
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thought of the night, why never 'Yoshiaki Kobayashi', having to make a photo shoot in a humid and rainy place with a typhoon on the doorstep, at some point begins by saying "Although the rain got the lens' front surface wet, I could easily wipe it off, thanks to the acclaimed SP Coating", maybe it's a 'subliminal' form to tell us that it's using Pentax SP lenses, or has forgotten filters at home, or in that place it can't buy them. These are trivial things that often don't make you sleep. If you have a valid answer, please notify it.

Greetings to all true pentaxians
02-22-2018, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #142

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I read here that many folks are happy with their K1 including myself, and no need for an upgrade. Then others, including again myself, argue that Pentax's minor changes aren't enough to attract non-pentax users when there are better cameras out there with reasonable price tag and lot more features to their needs. Now, my question is how would Ricoh generate revenue then?
I think in many ways, the MkII is aimed directly at users like me. I used to upgrade bodies regularly but for a variety of reasons, stalled at the K-5. When it started to sound like a FF was coming, I held-off on buying the K-3's. And then having been burned too many times by buying the first items (from any manufacturer) off the production line, decided to wait until the initial K-1 bugs were ironed out. So I was actually anticipating a MkII of some sort.

Sure I would have loved to have seen some of the "issues" current K-1 owners identify as shortfalls addressed. (buffer, AF, fps) I suspect they will be in the next new model but do I want to spend another 3 years waiting for this mythical perfect camera while my K-5, while still quite functional, feels older all the time? I expect jumping up to the MkII will make me kick myself for waiting so long. (and my FA31/FA77 will say they told me so....)

So it may just be a minor improvement for current K-1 owners but that wasn't their target. I think it was people like me who needed a new excuse to finally go FF. And for the current users, I think the opportunity to upgrade some of the internal IQ is pretty smart marketing.

Last edited by SimplyCreativePhotography; 02-22-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarity - I hope
02-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Where did you hear that? I've only seen TowerJazz. It was designed in-house, but I don't think anyone knows for sure who is manufacturing the sensor.
There was an interview with Sony Semiconductor Solutions(sensor manufacturing) and Sony Digital Imaging(the camera division)
In the interview the Sony SS went on to say that anyone could ask for Sony SS to build a sensor on their own design requirements, that included the BSI and dual-gain tech that was found in the D850.

Further down Sony SS stated that when sensor are tailored to the clients requests that they do not communicate with Sony DI what other clients have order from them. They then go on to say that Sony DI was not aware of the D850 sensor in production, this way Sony DI can not find out what is in the pipeline from other manufactures and make changes to under cut other OEM.
02-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Look at what is going into this upgrade. First, it's a parts purchase, which is more expensive, then there is the labour involved in disassembly, part replacement and reassembly, and then I expect every unit that has this work done will need to be fully QC insected to make sure everything works.
Obviously, Ricoh and the companies doing the mods aren't working for free.
While the logo might seem like a frivolity, it makes sense that a K1-II will have a higher resale value than a K1, so it makes sense to rename the camera if, fo no other reason, that when it comes time to sell, you don't have to convince the buyer that it has been upgraded.

If one doesn't want to have their camera upgraded, I have strong doubts that anyone will force it on them.
I can see that. I'm just mulling whether it's gonna be worth it to me.
02-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I can see that. I'm just mulling whether it's gonna be worth it to me.
It’s a toughie. I do a lot of focus stacked pixel shift images, so for me any improvement there is a good thing, and I am planning on having the upgrade done to my camera this summer. I figure I will let the new camera float around for a while and see how it is doing. I’m expecting a small but noticeable improvement in picture quality.

What do you do with retired cameras? When you upgrade do you sell or keep the old one as a backup body? If you sell, will not doing the upgrade devalue it by more than the 600 bucks they want for upgrading?
Will this upgrade keep you from feeling the need to buy the replacement when it comes along? The upgrade might be worth the price even if you don’t get full use out of it.
Or not.
I’m at the point where my work really doesn’t need more megapixels, but I will take any improvement I can get in the quality of those pixels. Granted if something with a lot more pixels came along, I would be tempted, but I think the next jump for me would have to be in excess of 50MP. Fourty two MP is only about a 10% increase in linear size.
Sorry, I’m kind of drifting here.
02-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #146
Pentaxian

Noise comes from many sources, heat, leakage, etc. The accelerater might prevent this noise from coming about in the first place. So it might not be baked or partially baked only.
02-22-2018, 07:53 PM   #147
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I didn't say that. In fact, I said on a few threads that some people expect D5 or 1Dx af and performance for the price of K3, which is not possible.
I've always thought you a cool guy, Dan, an excellent photographer and very logical in a discussion. No question about any of that.

A simple USB 3.0 and a buffer clearing (things known to be problematic with K1) are far away from D5 performance that you think I asked for.
Here's where I think you've forgotten what these mid-cycle version II things are.

The cameras aren't in continuous production. Pentax is a small company, and it just does a run, then the inventory reduces until B&H and Amazon or whatever can't source them from warehouses anymore and they're effectively a discontinued product.

A second run of the same model allows some tinkering, but that's all, because they don't want to pay for R&D again for more like four years than two.

I'm not sure people flocked to sell their K-3s and camped outside camera stores in queues to get the K3-II. It's just that you couldn't buy the old one anymore.

The silver releases have even less thinking involved.

They are possibly using this image processor at a good price because it'll be a mature product, probably the same one in the Nikon D810 - Image Signal Processor (Milbeaut®) | Socionext Inc. Nikon calls it Expeed, Pentax calls it Prime.

Note that you can't just put USB3 into it, or up its clock speed, or change its HD video processor to 4k. These things are just not on that board.

In two years time, the image processors used by say the current top of the line Nikon lines will have come down in price, and Pentax can make an offer for them. For various reasons, I don't think the real successor to the K-1 will be as affordable, so I do think we owners are quite lucky as to how it all came together.

Last edited by clackers; 02-22-2018 at 08:09 PM.
02-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, that's exactly the kind of mulling this is going to require.
02-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #149
mee
Veteran Member

It’s a toughie. I do a lot of focus stacked pixel shift images, so for me any improvement there is a good thing, and I am planning on having the upgrade done to my camera this summer. I figure I will let the new camera float around for a while and see how it is doing. I’m expecting a small but noticeable improvement in picture quality.

What do you do with retired cameras? When you upgrade do you sell or keep the old one as a backup body? If you sell, will not doing the upgrade devalue it by more than the 600 bucks they want for upgrading?
Will this upgrade keep you from feeling the need to buy the replacement when it comes along? The upgrade might be worth the price even if you don’t get full use out of it.
Or not.
I’m at the point where my work really doesn’t need more megapixels, but I will take any improvement I can get in the quality of those pixels. Granted if something with a lot more pixels came along, I would be tempted, but I think the next jump for me would have to be in excess of 50MP. Fourty two MP is only about a 10% increase in linear size.

Too many unknowns I think at the moment. I'd have to see results and a more thorough explanation of how those results were captured (not just optimal settings on an optimal subject with optimal lighting but 'real world' settings) before I could have an opinion either way.

On the other hand, the upgrade is only available for a few months this year. After that it looks like it isn't an option. I think after that time period to upgrade has expired, the value on the original K-1 will lower a bit more.

How much depends on the results of new features.
02-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
I think in many ways, the MkII is aimed directly at users like me. I used to upgrade bodies regularly but for a variety of reasons, stalled at the K-5. When it started to sound like a FF was coming, I held-off on buying the K-3's. And then having been burned too many times by buying the first items (from any manufacturer) off the production line, decided to wait until the initial K-1 bugs were ironed out. So I was actually anticipating a MkII of some sort.

Sure I would have loved to have seen some of the "issues" current K-1 owners identify as shortfalls addressed. (buffer, AF, fps) I suspect they will be in the next new model but do I want to spend another 3 years waiting for this mythical perfect camera while my K-5, while still quite functional, feels older all the time? I expect jumping up to the MkII will make me kick myself for waiting so long. (and my FA31/FA77 will say they told me so....)

So it may just be a minor improvement for current K-1 owners but that wasn't their target. I think it was people like me who needed a new excuse to finally go FF. And for the current users, I think the opportunity to upgrade some of the internal IQ is pretty smart marketing.
I'm glad you posted this. I was a K-X user. It was my first DSLR, and I learned a lot while using it. I upgraded to the K3ii shortly after it was released. Now, this camera has been a game changer for me. The K1 came out shortly after I purchased my new body, but it didn't make sense for me to buy. But now, two years later, I have a perfectly capable camera in the K3ii...yet the K1ii is really appealing to me. I'd love to squeeze that extra detail out of my images, get the benefit of the increased dynamic range, and finally see what my 77 and 100mm macro are capable of. ...but the K3ii is a really great camera. I don't shoot sports and haven't had any issued with af. But, the improvements over the K3ii are intriguing.