Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 09:12 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CP1 Quote
As an outsider looking in, you guys are a hot mess lol. Pixel shift images are up, I'm not a pentaxian so you guys tell me if you notice any difference (from K1 to K1mk2). Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
If there is no difference it would mean the hand held pixel shift actually works.
Also if people have missed it the ISO 12800 comparison between K1 and K1ii can be seen here.

02-24-2018, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, but the sensor read-out takes time. The shutter speed might be 1/8000 but there's a 1/4.4 second delay between successive frames. In total, the image will be affect by any subject movement occurring during about a 0.68 second read-out period plus 4X the shutter time.
Right, that is what I meant, the read out time is loong. I wonder if that means that the handheld PS will use the mechanical shutter to avoid the jelly effect from the ES. Some jelly is no problem for one shot, but for PS it will not work.
02-24-2018, 04:02 AM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, but the sensor read-out takes time. The shutter speed might be 1/8000 but there's a 1/4.4 second delay between successive frames. In total, the image will be affect by any subject movement occurring during about a 0.68 second read-out period plus 4X the shutter time.
It won't be pixel shift in the way we typically use the term. It will just be combining four images and using some sort of algorithm to match them up and hopefully increase resolution and decrease noise. My guess is that it will do better at the latter than the former, but I could be wrong. I shoot handheld multiple exposures periodically and HDR software lines them up an combines them. I suppose this will be the same sort of thing except that the exposures should be exactly the same.

I still will go with old fashioned pixel shift for most situations.
02-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #184
Veteran Member

As an outsider looking in, you guys are a hot mess lol. Pixel shift images are up, I'm not a pentaxian so you guys tell me if you notice any difference (from K1 to K1mk2). Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING
You mean not yet pentaxian there is certainly a difference between the image with and without pixel shift, but you right, it would be nice to see a comparison between Mk I and II

02-24-2018, 04:13 AM - 6 Likes   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Well said Dan.
For those who always disagree with a constructive criticism, look what Sony or Fuji did. I purchased XT-1 few years back and couldn't stand its AF, so I sold it, then Fuji came out with XT-2 with a brand new AF system. Since then my K3ii isn't anymore use for my wildlife. Xt2 with 100-400 combo is a killer. Now, what Pentax has done from K5 to K3ii.adding a pixel shift, GPS, maybe slightly better AF.. This is not good enough to attract potential new customers and as many folks have said on this forum, people either wait for the next round of K1 series or buy a used one. How can you financially generate revenue for Ricoh by doing this?! Unfortunately, Ricoh doesn't listen to the photographer's need, they create things they think a photographer would want. Pixel shift for instance, ok great, but even today no software vendor support for that. Besides, it's almost useless for the majority of landscape work where there is almost always slight movement of leaves etc. 36mp is already plenty darn good ( even though the sensor is the same D810E from 2012), give me a better buffer, better AF, and more modern native FF lenses. Sony changed almost everything people asked for in A7Riii from A7Rii. I am sorry this may upset few folks here, but this is why Pentax market is getting smaller and smaller.
I still view Pentax cameras as excellent photographic tools. From the K5 to K3 II, Pentax added GPS, astro tracer, went from one to two card slots, bumped number of auto focus points from 11 to 27, increased speed of operation considerably, and yes, they did add pixel shift and add a number of little tweaks. If you use a K3 II you have a hard time going back to a K5 due to its slowness of operation.

I use pixel shift all the time and supports is fine. I use RAW Therapee which is free to develop my images and they are excellent -- enough better than standard files that I am willing to go through an extra (painless) step to get them.

It may be that Pentax isn't the camera company for you. They don't have the money given to them to churn out all of the models and lenses that Sony and Fuji have, but that doesn't mean that they aren't turning out good cameras that are excellent in practice. To me, the K-1 is a D810 lite. 95 percent of the specifications of the D810 (with pixel shift, in body stabilization and astro tracer thrown in for good measure), but for a thousand less. I'm expecting good things this year from Pentax and in the mean time, I continue to enjoy shooting my K-1 -- yes, with lots of pixel shift images.

(pixel shift shot with DFA 15-30)

Last edited by Rondec; 02-24-2018 at 05:44 AM.
02-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Right, that is what I meant, the read out time is loong. I wonder if that means that the handheld PS will use the mechanical shutter to avoid the jelly effect from the ES. Some jelly is no problem for one shot, but for PS it will not work.
Using in-camera HDR with my Q-7 results in funky results if the target is moving, but I've never had trouble doing it hand-held. Conceptually, this is the same thing; we shouldn't be looking for problems before we see the product.
02-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #187
CP1

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I still view Pentax cameras as excellent photographic tools. From the K5 to K3 II, Pentax added GPS, astro tracer, went from one to two card slots, bumped number of auto focus points from 11 to 27, increased speed of operation considerably, and yes, they did add pixel shift and add a number of little tweaks. If you use a K3 II you have a hard time going back to a K5 due to its slowness of operation.

I use pixel shift all the time and supports is fine. I use RAW Therapee which is free to develop my images and they are excellent -- enough better than standard files that I am willing to go through an extra (painless) step to get them.

It may be that Pentax isn't the camera company for you. They don't have the money given to them to churn out all of the models and lenses that Sony and Fuji have, but that doesn't mean that they aren't turning out good cameras that are excellent in practice. To me, the K-1 is a D810 lite. 95 percent of the specifications of the D810 (with pixel shift, in body stabilization and astro tracer thrown in for good measure), but for a thousand less. I'm expecting good things this year from Pentax and in the mean time, I continue to enjoy shooting my K-1 -- yes, with lots of pixel shift images.

(pixel shift shot with DFA 15-30)
I don't think you can compare the K1 (or K1mk2) to the D810 anymore since Nikon has replaced it with a D850. The upside I've gathered thus far is going with Pentax means a cheaper price-point to jumping in compared to Nikon. Will the Pentax K1mk2 with PS compare favorably to the D850's 45mp sensor? not likely, although it would be close. Also, the lens issue. A lot of people here have the "well it's good enough" attitude but I find that hard to live with especially in a time when third party lens makers are putting out the best glass they've ever made at very reasonable prices. Sigma has the 35mm art lens in K mount still, but not a single other piece of their entire ART series has it which is sad. By no means am I saying the K1mk2 is a bad system but it is starting to show it's age and without stellar modern glass to put in front of it, how long will the Pentax community stand for it? It's been pointed out by Tony Northrup while testing the Sony A7RIII's pixel shift feature that only the sharpest glass will produce the best results, I'm really surprised Pentax hasn't pushed for high resolution glass. Even Rokinon/Samyang has "SP" glass said to be able to resolve 50mp for the 5DR. With all of this said, I was considering the K1mk2 but if you really buy into a system for the glass and not the body...whats the draw here?

02-24-2018, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was considering the K1mk2 but if you really buy into a system for the glass and not the body...whats the draw here?
02-24-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #189
CP1

^^^^ Which really doesn't draw in new people
02-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^^ Which really doesn't draw in new people
I disagree.
02-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #191
Veteran Member

I don't think you can compare the K1 (or K1mk2) to the D810 anymore since Nikon has replaced it with a D850. The upside I've gathered thus far is going with Pentax means a cheaper price-point to jumping in compared to Nikon. Will the Pentax K1mk2 with PS compare favorably to the D850's 45mp sensor? not likely, although it would be close. Also, the lens issue. A lot of people here have the "well it's good enough" attitude but I find that hard to live with especially in a time when third party lens makers are putting out the best glass they've ever made at very reasonable prices. Sigma has the 35mm art lens in K mount still, but not a single other piece of their entire ART series has it which is sad. By no means am I saying the K1mk2 is a bad system but it is starting to show it's age and without stellar modern glass to put in front of it, how long will the Pentax community stand for it? It's been pointed out by Tony Northrup while testing the Sony A7RIII's pixel shift feature that only the sharpest glass will produce the best results, I'm really surprised Pentax hasn't pushed for high resolution glass. Even Rokinon/Samyang has "SP" glass said to be able to resolve 50mp for the 5DR. With all of this said, I was considering the K1mk2 but if you really buy into a system for the glass and not the body...whats the draw here?
CP1 if you want to see how the K-1 MarkII will compare against the Nikon D850 look at Sample Image 02. It is shot at ISO 800. The Accelerator Units purpose is handling the color accuracy and shadow areas which is really showcased in this image. The lens used was the D-FA Macro 100mm ƒ2.8 AW. By modern standards it is stellar glass.
02-24-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of people here have the "well it's good enough" attitude but I find that hard to live with especially in a time when third party lens makers are putting out the best glass they've ever made at very reasonable prices.
I do to, and I don't live with it. What exactly are you looking for? Pentax glass or third party support? If you have the budget to buy the modern Pentax glass then what is missing? If you feel you need third party support then sadly Pentax is not for you. You should probably buy the Nikon D850.

Here is some reading material for you:
PENTAX Lens Technology / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
5 Reasons to choose PENTAX?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
02-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #193
CP1

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I do to, and I don't live with it. What exactly are you looking for? Pentax glass or third party support? If you have the budget to buy the modern Pentax glass then what is missing? If you feel you need third party support then sadly Pentax is not for you. You should probably buy the Nikon D850.

Here is some reading material for you:
PENTAX Lens Technology / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
5 Reasons to choose PENTAX?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
You're right, Pentax isn't for me....I guess wanting modern glass in the 12-24 range and having excellent standard zooms like a 24-70 that isn't an old Tamron design is asking too much of Pentax. I guess I'll remember Pentax for the potential it could've been. Sorry I couldn't be one of the many (sarcasm) lining up to use those old Takumar lenses. I wish everyone here the best of luck.
02-24-2018, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right, Pentax isn't for me....I guess wanting modern glass in the 12-24 range and having excellent standard zooms like a 24-70 that isn't an old Tamron design is asking too much of Pentax.
The Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 that the Pentax lens is based on had just been introduced in 2013, only two years before we saw the Pentax D-FA 24-70. It was a highly regarded lens when it was introduced, and quite competitive with other f2.8 24-70mm zooms available at that time. Hardly an "old design".
02-24-2018, 01:44 PM - 4 Likes   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're right, Pentax isn't for me....
I knew that from your first post. Those worried more about what gear to buy instead of the image quality rarely stick around. Good luck with your new Nikon.