Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
To be honest I believe the mentioning of SR with the new "PS" is just marketing babbling, and that this is only a slightly new take of stacking in camera with image alignment. I could stack images already in the K-5 but without alignment (and with a weird color temp as a result).
But I'm open for surprises.

Also the slow readout doesn't only create jelly sideways (that could be shifted back with enough SR data) up and down motion of the camera would be mixed in as well and not as easy to restore.

Or maybe they just enabled normal mechanical SR with ES and that is enough to eliminate most of the jelly?
THE K-1 SR system outputs 5-axis motion data, all of which is available for the (assuming) Accelerator Unit to use when creating SuperResolution images in-camera. Vertical jelly shouldn’t necessarily be harder to use.

02-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Vertical jelly shouldn’t necessarily be harder to use.
I believe it is.
You might have data that should be on two lines superimposed on one line. Even if SR data tells you that that is the case, how do you separate the sum of two lines into two different lines, and with the the right data on each line?
02-25-2018, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CP1 Quote
I don't think you can compare the K1 (or K1mk2) to the D810 anymore since Nikon has replaced it with a D850. The upside I've gathered thus far is going with Pentax means a cheaper price-point to jumping in compared to Nikon. Will the Pentax K1mk2 with PS compare favorably to the D850's 45mp sensor? not likely, although it would be close. Also, the lens issue. A lot of people here have the "well it's good enough" attitude but I find that hard to live with especially in a time when third party lens makers are putting out the best glass they've ever made at very reasonable prices. Sigma has the 35mm art lens in K mount still, but not a single other piece of their entire ART series has it which is sad. By no means am I saying the K1mk2 is a bad system but it is starting to show it's age and without stellar modern glass to put in front of it, how long will the Pentax community stand for it? It's been pointed out by Tony Northrup while testing the Sony A7RIII's pixel shift feature that only the sharpest glass will produce the best results, I'm really surprised Pentax hasn't pushed for high resolution glass. Even Rokinon/Samyang has "SP" glass said to be able to resolve 50mp for the 5DR. With all of this said, I was considering the K1mk2 but if you really buy into a system for the glass and not the body...whats the draw here?

Nikon D850 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
You Pay: $3,296.95

Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only)
You Pay: $1,996.95
(with grip).

That is the draw. Compare full frame cameras at the same price range.
02-25-2018, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I believe it is.
You might have data that should be on two lines superimposed on one line. Even if SR data tells you that that is the case, how do you separate the sum of two lines into two different lines, and with the the right data on each line?
Actually, superimposed lines creates an ideal case for stacking because it gives more data in the stack. It's a good thing!

In reality, the jelly effect is not that strong. During ES exposures, adjacent scan lines differ in time by only 46 microseconds. The camera is not likely to move far in 1/22,000 of a second. The total jelly-movement during a hand-held shot is likely to be a few hundred pixels which would create a fraction of a pixel movement per scanline. Adjacent scan lines from a given frame are likely to be within 10% of a pixel of each other.

02-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Nikon D850 DSLR Camera (Body Only) You Pay: $3,296.95 Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only) You Pay: $1,996.95 (with grip).
Pentax K1 system with 3 DFA primes costs only 20% of the cost of a Nikon system with 3 FF primes, because, the 3 DFA primes don't exist.
02-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax K1 system with 3 DFA primes costs only 20% of the cost of a Nikon system with 3 FF primes, because, the 3 DFA primes don't exist.
Sure. Your point? I have lenses.
02-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Sure. Your point? I have lenses.
I think he may be joking, and messing with the Drop in Negative Nellies who have been trying to troll.

02-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Actually, superimposed lines creates an ideal case for stacking because it gives more data in the stack. It's a good thing!

In reality, the jelly effect is not that strong. During ES exposures, adjacent scan lines differ in time by only 46 microseconds. The camera is not likely to move far in 1/22,000 of a second. The total jelly-movement during a hand-held shot is likely to be a few hundred pixels which would create a fraction of a pixel movement per scanline. Adjacent scan lines from a given frame are likely to be within 10% of a pixel of each other.
Still I don't think a K1 II is capable to perform such an anti-jelly function that is so effective that four different pictures, individually corrected, match up at pixel level. That would be a seriously impressive demonstration.
02-25-2018, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CP1 Quote
I don't think you can compare the K1 (or K1mk2) to the D810 anymore since Nikon has replaced it with a D850. The upside I've gathered thus far is going with Pentax means a cheaper price-point to jumping in compared to Nikon. Will the Pentax K1mk2 with PS compare favorably to the D850's 45mp sensor? not likely, although it would be close. Also, the lens issue. A lot of people here have the "well it's good enough" attitude but I find that hard to live with especially in a time when third party lens makers are putting out the best glass they've ever made at very reasonable prices. Sigma has the 35mm art lens in K mount still, but not a single other piece of their entire ART series has it which is sad. By no means am I saying the K1mk2 is a bad system but it is starting to show it's age and without stellar modern glass to put in front of it, how long will the Pentax community stand for it? It's been pointed out by Tony Northrup while testing the Sony A7RIII's pixel shift feature that only the sharpest glass will produce the best results, I'm really surprised Pentax hasn't pushed for high resolution glass. Even Rokinon/Samyang has "SP" glass said to be able to resolve 50mp for the 5DR. With all of this said, I was considering the K1mk2 but if you really buy into a system for the glass and not the body...whats the draw here?
Has the D810 been replaced or are they still selling both?

As far as I can tell, the D810 is still available on B and H and Amazon for 2800 dollars -- roughly 800 dollars more than the K-1 II (with the K1 II including a free grip). The D850 is a different animal -- one that trades high iso capability for faster frame rates and 4K video. I believe that is why Nikon has the D810 still available. They know that there are still plenty of landscape photographers who want the still image quality you get from a D810 and don't need the frame rates or video performance of the D850. As far as the comment about "only that sharpest glass producing the best results," that has nothing to do with pixel shift and shows that Tony Northup has a poor understanding of Pixel Shift. Pixel shift is not about sharpness, it is about increasing color depth and dynamic range and decreasing noise to give the best single image possible. Older lenses benefit just as much as more modern lenses and current Pentax lenses work quite well.

This is the DFA 24-70 with pixel shift...

The image is quite sharp, even at full size, but the benefit to me from the pixel shift is the rich colors I was able to get from the K-1.

As far as current glass that I recommend for the K-1 or K-1 II, the FA limiteds, DFA 15-30/24-70/70-200/150-450, DFA 100 macro WR, DA *200 and DA *300 should be a start, with every lens offering good performance and image quality.
02-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #220
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As far as current glass that I recommend for the K-1 or K-1 II, the FA limiteds, DFA 15-30/24-70/70-200
Currently 24-70mm and 15-30mm can be purchased at a price slightly lower than 1000 €uro each, and 70-200 at about 1400 €uro including the K1 Mark II.
It means that with little more than 5000 €uro (not few!) you have'' almost'' a complete kit. Without considering the whole series K, M, A, F, FA, FA, DF A, etc.
02-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Yawn. For anyone who has been waiting for a proper video camera, this is no upgrade. Guess it won't ever be coming from Pentax. Good news is the Panasonic GH5s is out, and I'm saving for it. Wish it was FF too.
02-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #222

Pentax K-1 II Brochure in english

Hi,

Link to the Pentax K-1 II Brochure in english:

PENTAX K-1 II Brochure | PENTAXever.com

Cheers
02-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The D850 is a different animal -- one that trades high iso capability for faster frame rates and 4K video. I believe that is why Nikon has the D810 still available.
The D850 has better high iso capabilities than the D810 everyone that I have spoken to agrees with this
If we take a look at the read noise found in the D810 and the D850 the D850 has less read noise because of the DCG inherent with the D850 sensor
Shadow Improvement of Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20D850

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

Many D850D810 owners would disagree with you
02-25-2018, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #224
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Yawn. For anyone who has been waiting for a proper video camera, this is no upgrade. Guess it won't ever be coming from Pentax. Good news is the Panasonic GH5s is out, and I'm saving for it. Wish it was FF too.
But when will Panasonic release a FF camera, Madbrain, which is clearly what all us K-1 owners wanted, paid for and got?
02-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #225
maw
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The D850 has better high iso capabilities than the D810 everyone that I have spoken to agrees with this
Looking at the DXO Mark's comparative diagrams, it is a slight advantage of the Nikon D850, (45.75 mpx), but when you read them carefully, you can see how little advantage there is.
It should be obvious that this should benefit the Pentax K1 MarkII, both as extended sensitivity and dynamic range.
You could only object that DxO Mark has always been known to be very close to Nikon.

Nikon D850 vs Pentax K-1 vs Nikon D810