Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pictures on the internet are the great equalizer at this point. All the cameras out there are plenty capable of doing what a person wants.
Yes, except you only see the keepers, so, relying on internet posts is misleading.

03-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Although Nikon has a chip manufacturing contract with a manufacturer (Sony), the company has confirmed that the D850 sensor is based entirely on its own design and is not a unit purchased from an external manufacturer.
It depends on what you would call design. Did Nikon make a list of the components that sit on the spec sheets and shelves at Sony and ask Sony to build them sensor based on those specs, or did they ask Sony to build a sensor based on patents, IP and designs that Nikon own.

I am Nikon fan and in everyway I would love this to be a Nikon designed sensor, There are a few problems with this, Sony Semiconductor Solutions doesn't do foundry services (except those already contracted on lines it's bought eg Toshiba and the D5 sensor ). Nikon does not own the designs to build the IP found in the D850 sensor one of these is the Dual Conversion gain. There would be no way that Sony Semiconductor Solutions would allow Nikon to use this IP property without it being supplied to them by SSS. Nor does Nikon hold any patents that would allow them to modify their own sensor designs to implement DCG.

Second Sony SS I don't think have the ability to allow a third party to use any patents of the DCG as Sony arrived with these patents via a patent swap with another sensor designer( off the top of my head I cannot remember the company)

Third if Nikon went to another foundry service such as Tower Jazz to build the D850 sensor with Sony SS crown jewels Sony would be all over Nikon for infringement.

Fourth if we look at the noise characteristics of the sensor it mirrors the D500 sensor fingerprint at the pixel level and when compared to sensors that we know that are designed by Nikon they are very telling signs that Nikon does not have the tech to produce this kind of sensor.

As far as Nikon stating that is all Nikon design this is not the first sensor they have made this claim too only to find out it was Sony SS off the shelf components and probably not the last time.

---------- Post added 03-03-2018 at 02:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Soon enough Roger Cicala will tear one down and we’ll know the answer.
I Don't ever remember Roger ever confirming the sensors hallmarks

However if you would buy me a D850 I would be more than happy to find the Sony product number and photograph it.
03-04-2018, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im pretty satisfied with the gear Pentax deliver (I own or owned almost all bodies since K20d), of course there is gripe here and there but I feel fortunate to have gone the Pentax way almost 10 years ago.
And I would say that Im very proud to be a Pentax Shooter, and when I meet photographers Im usually a great ambassador for the brand, trying to explain how solid and sturdy their camera are, but more importantly how better Pentax is in terms of IQ (especially with K1, but was already true with APS-C's), for a very good price overall.

One things makes me mad and sad at the same time though : the complete lack of communication from Pentax toward their user base and in all modern networks as well.
For example, there is NO YOUTUBE CHANNEL for Pentax...and that's true. yet unbelievable.
There is a RICOH Imaging YT channel but their last videos is from...A year ago

Every brand in this business have Ambassadors, and we know that Pentax has some, but I can't see any of their work on Youtube or Facebook for example.
The only dude on YT is CameraVille (which is exactly what Pentax needs even if he is biased) and as far as I know he never received any gear to test, he has to get it himself.
A guy like Tony Northtrup has 200000 views on Pentax related videos, said that the K1 was one of the best landscape camera ever and Pentax doesnt even try to send him some correct info about the K1 MK2, the Dynamic PS etc ? Pentax please !

This complete lack of Communication strategy is scarry.
They have probably the most incredible Fan base in the photography world and yet they dont even try to organise anything with their fans.

This brings frustration to a lot of Pentax users I think.
I am sure I've got the best cameras (K1 and K3), I invested thousands of € in this system, and at the same time this brand has no official communication that can just tell me what and when they gonna release some product.
Their Lens roadmap has revealed they were wayyyy out of time , they just released a new one but this time Ill take it with a grain of salt in terms of availability lol !

Please Pentax or Ricoh, we know that you're among the best camera and lens makers, now please tell your Marketing people to up their game for a tiny bit
03-04-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Every brand in this business have Ambassadors, and we know that Pentax has some, but I can't see any of their work on Youtube or Facebook for example.

This complete lack of Communication strategy is scarry.
They have probably the most incredible Fan base in the photography world and yet they dont even try to organise anything with their fans.
My work area is the nordic countries. Everything I do beside that, even on here, are on my free time..that also include all the hours I use to answer messages and mails. And deal with haters on here

No, I dont have a photo page on FB at the moment..I only use Instagram. But I travel a lot around, being present on camera and photo shows. I do a lot of lectures and speeches (one of the most popular ones in this area) and I do work shops. We have gone from Pentax being a laughing stock to being taken really serious around here. So its not all bad as you claim it to be! Cant speak for the rest of the world, cause Ricoh has outsourced Pentax to other companies in most countries. I can agree on Ricoh marketing are bad, but not everything is as bad as you say it is. Ricoh doesn't not have the same resources as the other companies either.

03-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
My work area is the nordic countries. Everything I do beside that, even on here, are on my free time..that also include all the hours I use to answer messages and mails. And deal with haters on here

No, I dont have a photo page on FB at the moment..I only use Instagram. But I travel a lot around, being present on camera and photo shows. I do a lot of lectures and speeches (one of the most popular ones in this area) and I do work shops. We have gone from Pentax being a laughing stock to being taken really serious around here. So its not all bad as you claim it to be! Cant speak for the rest of the world, cause Ricoh has outsourced Pentax to other companies in most countries. I can agree on Ricoh marketing are bad, but not everything is as bad as you say it is. Ricoh doesn't not have the same resources as the other companies either.
Kenneth,

First of all my post was not directed to anyone in particular, and especially not at you as I think you've done a great job promoting the brand, thru your pics minaly as I never attempted any of your lectures, workshops etc. Your presence, to me is highly and positively regarded, and at the same time I can see that Pentax miscommunication has often led you to wrong path. I can see that the issue was not you but more Pentax / Ricoh's fault.
I would say we need more like you, really.

We are on Pentax biggest forum here, I mean there is no Pentax related place on the internet with such amount of people than PF. If you're looking for a Pentax stuff on google, more often you're redirected to Pentax Forum.
Still you're the only Ambassador that post info, tries to overcome the pessimist and more simply stay in contact with the brand fan base. When I wrote "the only" I meant the Solo one
Im still looking for your french or European equivalent if I may say.
If Pentax has only one ambassador all over the planet that's sad...

If you ask me Pentax should have a DIRECT communication channel with Adam or any folks in charge at PF, that would avoid all the misleading post about the rumors that pop up !
Im following a couple french Pentax related website as well and I dont see any marketing strategy either, the only one trying to improve Pentax visibility in france is "La Boutique Pentax" but he must feel very alone sometimes.

Keep up the good work Kenneth, I think we need you here.
03-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Kenneth,

First of all my post was not directed to anyone in particular, and especially not at you as I think you've done a great job promoting the brand, thru your pics minaly as I never attempted any of your lectures, workshops etc. Your presence, to me is highly and positively regarded, and at the same time I can see that Pentax miscommunication has often led you to wrong path. I can see that the issue was not you but more Pentax / Ricoh's fault.
I would say we need more like you, really.

We are on Pentax biggest forum here, I mean there is no Pentax related place on the internet with such amount of people than PF. If you're looking for a Pentax stuff on google, more often you're redirected to Pentax Forum.
Still you're the only Ambassador that post info, tries to overcome the pessimist and more simply stay in contact with the brand fan base. When I wrote "the only" I meant the Solo one
Im still looking for your french or European equivalent if I may say.
If Pentax has only one ambassador all over the planet that's sad...

If you ask me Pentax should have a DIRECT communication channel with Adam or any folks in charge at PF, that would avoid all the misleading post about the rumors that pop up !
Im following a couple french Pentax related website as well and I dont see any marketing strategy either, the only one trying to improve Pentax visibility in france is "La Boutique Pentax" but he must feel very alone sometimes.

Keep up the good work Kenneth, I think we need you here.
Thank you ver much I was maybe reading a bit fast..hehe..And I'm frustrated sometimes, because I feel alone in this work You have some good points..Let us hope this change in the future I know of a few other ambassadors, but can't see them much online except maybe one
03-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thank you ver much I was maybe reading a bit fast..hehe..And I'm frustrated sometimes, because I feel alone in this work You have some good points..Let us hope this change in the future I know of a few other ambassadors, but can't see them much online except maybe one
Seeing as you have a relationship with Ricoh, do you know if they are open to having brand ambassadors in other areas? I know most of us would love to see some more youtube channels handling the gear and producing professional quality reviews and real world usage videos. A few thousand dollars worth of gear in the right hands could go a long way. Marketing doesn't need to be terribly expensive if you have a solid strategy and a good, motivated team. I'd just love to see some creativity in this area to help create more interest. WE all know the gear is wonderful for what it does, and performs well in many categories against its competitors. I'm taking a photography course at a local university for fun right now. I'm the only person in the class with a Pentax. That's not terribly surprising, but when I was talking with the professor about gear (he and his co-teacher both use 5DMkI bodies) he was impressed with the specs. More importantly, he's been impressed with the quality of images that I'm bringing in to class. But we need more people like you doing this publicly.

03-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Seeing as you have a relationship with Ricoh, do you know if they are open to having brand ambassadors in other areas? I know most of us would love to see some more youtube channels handling the gear and producing professional quality reviews and real world usage videos. A few thousand dollars worth of gear in the right hands could go a long way. Marketing doesn't need to be terribly expensive if you have a solid strategy and a good, motivated team. I'd just love to see some creativity in this area to help create more interest. WE all know the gear is wonderful for what it does, and performs well in many categories against its competitors. I'm taking a photography course at a local university for fun right now. I'm the only person in the class with a Pentax. That's not terribly surprising, but when I was talking with the professor about gear (he and his co-teacher both use 5DMkI bodies) he was impressed with the specs. More importantly, he's been impressed with the quality of images that I'm bringing in to class. But we need more people like you doing this publicly.
I can't tell since Ricoh has outsourced Pentax most places
03-05-2018, 02:10 AM   #309
Pentaxian

ATTENTION: Pentax has changed the ISO comparison in the youtube video.

I changed my post in this thread according to the video edit:
The official presentation (Ricoh) of the Pentax Mark II - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
03-05-2018, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote

The official presentation (Ricoh) of the Pentax Mark II - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
Bring me a ISO6400 comparison and Ill see if I upgrade lol
03-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K1 II is an upgrade of an existing camera. The sensor in that camera is not capable of much higher end video than what it currently offers -- certainly not 4K video. As far as I know there aren't any full frame cameras under 2000 dollars that offer 4K video.

I am a still photographer and don't need video very much. At the same time, I do think of video as a side effect of high frame rates that modern cameras offer. If you are going to offer a camera with a frame rate of 7 frames per second and a decent buffer, then you can probably do 4K video with that same camera. As to whether it diminishes the still photography part of things, I don't think it does much. On the other hand, if it checks a box on a comparison site, then it may actually sell more camera.

Pentax isn't very good at video and they should just license other folk's codecs and solutions for video and run with that. The cost would be relatively minimal (other than the cost of the sensor) and would probably sell more cameras in the long run.

All that said, anything based on the K-1 sensor wasn't going to be an advancement in that area and the K-2 (or whatever they call the K-1 II sequel) is still probably a year and a half away.
03-05-2018, 04:26 AM   #312
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Pentax isn't very good at video and they should just license other folk's codecs and solutions for video and run with that.
But they do. The Nikon D810 is similar, they both rely on the video processor and codec on the Milbeaut chipset.

03-05-2018, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote

Quite a difference from the original example. Should be interesting as soon as we get real raw files from the original K1, upgraded K1 and a K1 mark II.
03-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #314
Closed Account

Here's another presentation that I received this morning: Pentax K-1 Mark II Specs & Sample Photos
03-05-2018, 06:13 AM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As far as I know there aren't any full frame cameras under 2000 dollars that offer 4K video.
Yet, there is one and is just been announced. It's not a DSLR, but it is a full frame camera. Sony a7 III Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera (a7III Body) ILCE-7M3