Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CP+ 2018 Interview Question Suggestions

Please post your suggestions for our annual interview with Pentax reps. Keep in mind that questions asking about "will you release X" will go unanswered.

Let's aim for a diverse range of questions rather than just those focusing on DSLRs/current products.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2018, 07:21 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Ask them why they are having trouble designing and releasing lenses, or if they even design lenses in house at all anymore.
02-22-2018, 07:22 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to see more "what do you think?" kind of questions, rather than the usual product/feature interrogation questions. For instance:
- What do they see as the biggest challenges in the current market?
- Do they see the product cycle slowing down?
- If cell phones are killing off entry-level cameras, how do they see new photographers getting started with DSLRs? Used equipment?
02-22-2018, 07:26 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the accelerator chip going to be leveraged to improve AF tracking?
What is the dynamic range of the K-1 mkII and does Pentax think they can improve this in the future?
Many of the accessories like extension tubes are difficult to find for Pentax, would Pentax consider bringing things like that to market?
The current 1.4x TC is for APS-C, how can the user base let Pentax know that a FF version is needed?
With the Pentax naming convention now down to K-1 where is Pentax going to go now?

02-22-2018, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
This problem might me unique to my city of slightly less than a million in a small market (Canada) but in case it isn't I'll ask my question. It was never easy to get your hands on Pentax gear in my local B & M stores but I could always go a visit a demo in a store before I decided to make a purchase. Now it seems that none of my local stores carry ANY Pentax gear and all orders must be paid for in advance and in most cases are non-returnable. It seems to me if I were just starting out and were presented with 3 brands of DSLR - 2 in stock and 1 that required to be ordered (2-4 week wait), that required to be paid for in advance and be non-refundable, I know I'd be giving the other boys some serious consideration. Don't get me wrong I love my Pentax gear, but I am finding it harder and harder to buy new when no one carries it locally. So my question is - is this unique to small market Canada or is it happening in other places? Is this decision made by the stores or by Pentax? Finally If it is coming from Pentax, then what plans does Pentax have to encourage new users to the brand and existing users to buy new gear when the stock is no longer in stores?

Thanks,

Stevi
02-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

The usual video questions, but this is my personal perspective:

I've been shooting with a GH3 recently - a 2012 camera - and the video is a joy compared to my K-3 - a 2013 camera. However, I really don't enjoy shooting the Gh3, and I would love if, instead, we could get GH3 video capability (at least!) in a K-3 level camera. Why? Because the Pentax camera is just that much more fun to shoot, the layout makes more sense, its better ergonomically - etc. etc.!

So - can they upgrade the video in their cameras to at least 2012 specifications?

much appreciated!

Imp
02-22-2018, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any update on Video SR, as was rumored a while back... thank you!

02-22-2018, 07:50 PM - 6 Likes   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Where do you see Pentax fitting in to the camera market?

What are the primary goals with the Pentax brand?

In 5 years where do you see the Pentax brand? ...what about in 10?

What type of person(s) is a Pentax camera designed for?

Do you see a place for DSLRs in the camera market long term?
followup: How does Pentax plan on responding to the trend of mirrorless cameras?
02-22-2018, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Can you ask if Ricoh is willing to make a compact (K-s1, K-r , K-01 sized) mid range (2 control dials) WR DSLR with improved Auto Focus and better flash sync? The cameras mentioned are the same size as some micro four thirds cameras and could be a good alternative for traveling, hiking, and general use.
02-22-2018, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #10

Q1: How does Ricoh believe GoPro's Fusion will affect its Theta market?
Q2: Has Ricoh got any thoughts about the growth of the mirrorless market, that Sony and Panasonic appear to dominate?
Q3: When will Ricoh upgrade its well documented below-par video functionality in their flagship releases? What steps have been taken to improve auto-focusing, in particular?
02-22-2018, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. Many are worried about Pentax future and direction. Its really ok to say that their strategy is a slower product cycle, its better than silence. Can they do more to engage users and what would be the direction they plan to take?

2. What is Pentax's take on the growth of the MILC market and competitors going in that direction? (eg. Sony, Canon, Fuji)

3. When is the FF WA lens scheduled?
02-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
This problem might me unique to my city of slightly less than a million in a small market (Canada) but in case it isn't I'll ask my question. It was never easy to get your hands on Pentax gear in my local B & M stores but I could always go a visit a demo in a store before I decided to make a purchase. Now it seems that none of my local stores carry ANY Pentax gear and all orders must be paid for in advance and in most cases are non-returnable. It seems to me if I were just starting out and were presented with 3 brands of DSLR - 2 in stock and 1 that required to be ordered (2-4 week wait), that required to be paid for in advance and be non-refundable, I know I'd be giving the other boys some serious consideration. Don't get me wrong I love my Pentax gear, but I am finding it harder and harder to buy new when no one carries it locally. So my question is - is this unique to small market Canada or is it happening in other places? Is this decision made by the stores or by Pentax? Finally If it is coming from Pentax, then what plans does Pentax have to encourage new users to the brand and existing users to buy new gear when the stock is no longer in stores?

Thanks,

Stevi
X 2. To me this is a very important question, please ask.
02-22-2018, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Marketting and general questions:
1. Do they have a plan to do more to promote the brand on popular social media platforms?
[ Something likes social influencer sponsoring, online photo completion, etc…]

2. Can they share any plan / strategy to deal with shrinking market they are in?
[I see sony and fuji manage to gain market share and make a lot of noise in the shrinking market, that’s mean they must do something right. And Nikon seem to do many thing wrong. Therefore I want to know if Pentax learn anything from them and what is Pentax own strategy to deal with today market.]

Preduct & development question:
1. Any plan for new "WR limited" prime or zoom lenses in future?
[I guess they will just ask us to look at the lens road map.]
02-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Please see post # 16

Last edited by wed7; 02-22-2018 at 09:12 PM.
02-22-2018, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Q1, are they still supporting Q...they told us they were a while ago and NOTHING!

Q2, FF weathersealed teleconverters 1.4x and 2.0x.... the other systems have them,when can we get more reach with the *zoom?

Q3,is 4K video a naughty word?