Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2018, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

These are the type of questions I would really want to be answered by Ricoh Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Where do you see Pentax fitting in to the camera market?

What are the primary goals with the Pentax brand?

In 5 years where do you see the Pentax brand? ...what about in 10?
What type of person(s) is a Pentax camera designed for?

Do you see a place for DSLRs in the camera market long term?
followup: How does Pentax plan on responding to the trend of mirrorless cameras?
I have asked these similar question on Facebook, Now I want to hear from Pentax itself what makes a Pentaxian.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
Can you ask if Ricoh is willing to make a compact (K-s1, K-r , K-01 sized) mid range (2 control dials) WR DSLR with improved Auto Focus and better flash sync? The cameras mentioned are the same size as some micro four thirds cameras and could be a good alternative for traveling, hiking, and general use.
The K-x/K-S2 sized with WR and dual control wheels like, small yet robust. The KP looks great, but I wish it was really smaller

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
1. Many are worried about Pentax future and direction. Its really ok to say that their strategy is a slower product cycle, its better than silence. Can they do more to engage users and what would be the direction they plan to take?

2. What is Pentax's take on the growth of the MILC market and competitors going in that direction? (eg. Sony, Canon, Fuji)

3. When is the FF WA lens scheduled?
MILC are getting there and DSLR's are really looking like dinosaurs.

02-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Let's aim for a diverse range of questions rather than just those focusing on DSLRs/current products.
Hi Adam,

Thank you for doing this.

Other than the usual video questions as to when if ever they are going to offer better specs for the video, I have the following:

1. When will we see new gen. wide primes; 15, 21, 24, etc. and one or two fast telephotos.
2. Flash system is sub par and not comprehensive. What are the chances of Pentax/Ricoh influencing Godox or FlashPoint to offer Pentax compatibility. This is my biggest gripe with the system.
3. An effort to show up in the local brick and mortar places would be appreciated. Any plans for better marketing and presence in general?

I'll post more questions later.

Cheers,
Boris
02-22-2018, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Q2: Has Ricoh got any thoughts about the growth of the mirrorless market, that Sony and Panasonic appear to dominate?
Has Ricoh got any thoughts about the growth of the mirrorless market, that Sony, Fuji and Panasonic appear to dominate?
I'd second this, mirrorless is growing faster every single day so better keep up with the future and don't be late like for FF market (how many years behind the competitors again ?)
02-22-2018, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not about Pentax so not sure if it is right place to ask but anyway.
1. Are there is plan to update Rikoh GR line?
2. Can Rikoh make it dust resistant? (Known problem about dust on sensor is only reason I did not buy it yet, and maybe I am not alone here.)

02-22-2018, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- why this lack of new simple, modern, lightweight lenses for FF ? Do you understand it's a drag for any photographer who would consider to come to Pentax ?

- why the k mount no longer interests third-party manufacturers like sigma, Zeiss, voigtlander....? Is it really impossible to conclude commercial deals with them ?
02-23-2018, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My questions are similar to those already put by mee and pinholecam about direction and strategy.

I’d like to see Pentax engage more with its customer base and create more of a niche ‘buzz’ for the brand, raising its profile in the market but differentiating it from Canikon. Are there plans to raise the brand profile, increase the ambassadors, etc?
02-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any line of questioning, open or covert, that can shed some light on the future of APS-C, and more specifically the position of what they consider the APS-C flagship vs their full frame offering.

You might ask them if they have already considered using SR to provide alignment between frames in an exposure bracketed series. Like what they are now doing for dynamic pixel shift, only alignment (slightly cropped?) over consecutive images. Might even be useful to have in a burst.

In that respect, it would be interesting to see Pentax implement some kind of focus stacking. Not necessarily with in camera processing, but focus bracketing akin to exposure bracketing would be nice.

Wim

02-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Will we see new lenses optimized for digital that embrace the Limited Series philosophy of small size, excellent build quality, and superb optical quality? And does the DA20-40WR suggest that if Pentax develops new Limited lenses, they will be WR and not screw drive?

If a customer sends in their K1 to have it's board replaced, are there any other hardware differences or camera capabilities that are different than the K1ii?
02-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #24
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please post your suggestions for our annual interview with Pentax reps. Keep in mind that questions asking about "will you release X" will go unanswered.

Let's aim for a diverse range of questions rather than just those focusing on DSLRs/current products.
1. Do you plan to develop new GR cameras?
2. Is there plan to launch new SAFOX 13 (?) with more AF points in new DSLR? Is SAFOX 13 in development?
3. Do you work under new CDAF or real hybrid AF system for GR and Pentax DSLRs?
02-23-2018, 02:08 AM   #25
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

the questions are:

1. a new Pentax Q
2. a mirorless dslr
3. a simple dslr like the Pentax k-500
4 kit lenses for Pentax k-1/k-1 II
02-23-2018, 02:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

1. Why no informations about a "must have" DFA 24-105 f/4 or 24-90 f/4 (PLM WR)?
2. Will there be any software (firmware) transfer from k-1 mk II to k-1, like new AF algorithms, Dynamic PS, etc..?
3. Why only 4 frames in Dynamic PS? Could be selectable from 4 to 20 (A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop)

Thank you

Last edited by Andrea K; 02-23-2018 at 03:10 AM.
02-23-2018, 02:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

i want see mirrorless, with electrical ovf

---
try that one :P

---------- Post added 02-23-18 at 03:01 AM ----------

also try something about WR definition... I would like to hear - what they mean by that exactly - put it in strong box - if they can
02-23-2018, 03:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I would like to know that if Ricoh-Pentax believes that they have reached their ceiling with the technology they have implemented in K-1 mkII or this is a compromise that comes from the combination of factors like Pentax users needs/Pentax philosophy/Pricing/Position in the market (differentiation) etc. In other words could Ricoh bulid a D500 or D850 competitor priced similarly (or even higher) if there was a real market for it, or the limited resources don't allow them to compete in such an advanced level in some areas (like AF, FPS and buffer performance, video etc).

It's a hard question and I doubt if they would answer it, you can alter it as you wish, but you get my point.
02-23-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Ask them why there is zero direct communications channel available for non Japanese customers to the mothership for questions or suggestions.
The regional offerings are either zero or the quality of replies is abysmal at best. The latter seems to actually block input, as unskilled workforce either doesnt understand the questions or is unable to answer.
Give them a simple example: Over years it was impossible to get an answer from multiple of their regional "support" guys on what the exact difference (and intention) between program curves "auto" and "normal" is. Or what the setting "auto" on AF priority does and when it makes sense to use it versus the others (zero documentation available)? Go ask the CP+ booth staff to explain in meaningful detail and have fun.

The recent "support" answer is:
QuoteQuote:
The challenge we face with documentation is to be able to maximise the information in the least amount of pages. We wish to be able to convey to the customer the key features and operation of our new products and hope also that the customer will actually read or consult the manual.
However, the level and specificity of the information which you mention is not something we would consider to include in the user manual. We believe this level of information is more than the average user would expect. As well the predictive algorithms of programs and how certain functions work is treated as confidential and cannot be shared.
So the support guy explains that zero documentation is intentional.

Ask them if someone from their engineering guys could spend half a day on writing up an official guideline on using their autofocus system and how to make best use of it (all settings for different scenarios). Obviously someone who knows the algorithms should be best suited to do this.
02-23-2018, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

-The minimum shutter speed setting from the KP is implented on the K-1ii too?
-The KP is considered as the APS-C flag ship?
-What are the plans to improve marketing of Pentax outside of Japan?
-When will come the promised Video SR firmware upgrade?
-Last time you said Pentax K-1 and KP are premium products with longer life time. Do you plan feature firmware upgrades?
-What do you see as the stregths of the brand? How will you take advantages of these strengths in the future?
-What do you see as the weaknesses of the brand? What do you consider as the weakest point, and how will you improve in this area?
-In 2017 there were rumors of Pentax is going out of business because Pentax fans were waiting so much for any sign of developement. Are there any plans to expand the developement team or change the communication?
-What do you think about mirorrless cameras? Is there now enough market to release one?