Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 89 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that most folks are interested in something that may be in development, however this question deals with the products already in our laps...
  • Pentax has been notorious about not keeping spare parts in a regional depot setting, thus repairs take potentially a longer than would normally be expected. Just waiting for replacement parts. Any potential improvement on the horizon?
  • Any indication as to what the K1 main circuit board upgrade turnaround time would be?
  • On the AstroTrace capability - wonderful idea and application of the in body stabilization feature. The advertised tracking time is 5 minutes (probably based on the amount of physical room the sensor has to move). The real tracking time (experience) is more on the order of 60 to perhaps 90 seconds. Could Pentax write a white paper on the overall approach and what the expectations are? Also, it has been noted here on the forums that the compass accuracy appears to be about +/- 5 to 10 degrees. Could Pentax comment if the new 5 axis in body stabilization system (versus the older stabilization system) providing a 3D capability as opposed to just a 2D implementation?
  • Has Pentax thought about removing the light baffle on the DA 60-250 and offering a full frame - F DA version of the lens.

02-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
world's best AF
Every new starter to every camera company has to learn this line first day on the job.

"repeat after me"...We will have WBAF(wild bull and fluff!)
02-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Has Pentax thought about removing the light baffle on the DA 60-250 and offering a full frame - F DA version of the lens.
good question... also could re-design the hood of the da*55 to be more ff friendly
02-23-2018, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Is Ricoh Pentax going to make a revised version of the DA* 16-50 mm F2.8 with improved optics and a ring motor and a more compact DA 17-55 mm WR F2.8-4 with PLM or ring motor?

02-23-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Q1) Any plans of F4 line of Zooms for FF models? I am thinking of 20-35 f4, 24-120 f4, 70-200 f4.
Q2) Why an important lens like 20-35mm f4 got discontinued without any alternative?
02-23-2018, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #51
mee
Veteran Member

Even after Adam's warning, many of you are still asking very pointed questions about product releases. These reps will never answer those directly. Look at the past 4 or 5 years of doing this, if one goes in guns blazing with these direct questions they will get a lot of dancing in return.

The key to getting them to open more is to approach the interview more conversationally. Don't ask direct, pointed questions off a list check 1 check 2 check 3. But instead ask more open questions about the brand to get them talking in a direction they want to go. Only then maybe mention a aspect you want to cover..
02-23-2018, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Even after Adam's warning, many of you are still asking very pointed questions about product releases. These reps will never answer those directly. Look at the past 4 or 5 years of doing this, if one goes in guns blazing with these direct questions they will get a lot of dancing in return.

The key to getting them to open more is to approach the interview more conversationally. Don't ask direct, pointed questions off a list check 1 check 2 check 3. But instead ask more open questions about the brand to get them talking in a direction they want to go. Only then maybe mention a aspect you want to cover..
My Questions:

1. When do you plan on removing the stupid 11mbit software limitation in the wireless transmission of wireless capable cameras (they clearly have a more capable hardware module, so why in the world limit them to that??)
2. How come in action cams and 360 cams from ricoh 4k is possible but not in dslrs?
3. Are you okay with having an AF module that is 5-10 years behind the competition?
4. When will proper lightroom tethering be added to the K-S2 or other lowe end pentax models?
5. Sigma and Tamron have stopped releasing their new lenses for pentax which makes pentax more and more unattractive in comparison with other brands, does that not worry you?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-23-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Profanity removed.
02-23-2018, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Banned

Ricoh / Pentax has released some excellent products recently (the K-3, the 645z, and the K-1), but you have been VERY quiet for the past 12 months, and rumors continue to swirl about Ricoh selling it’s camera business. Are you able to comment on this?

Why such a small amount of activity after such great successes?

Last edited by Poit; 02-23-2018 at 06:45 PM.
02-23-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it was last year, PF did a Q&A with Pentax and heard precious little informative discussion from them. There was another site, and I forget which one, that also had a video session with Pentax and they were pretty forthcoming with some interesting discussions. So, yes - the way the question is phrased and presented does apparently make a pretty substantial difference.

On the other hand, PF does represent a lot of Pentax users, and I would like to think that Pentax would be as forthcoming as possible (but not holding out any hope in this at all). Then again, Pentax is not known for their marketing savvy.

02-23-2018, 07:00 PM - 4 Likes   #55
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I think it was last year, PF did a Q&A with Pentax and heard precious little informative discussion from them. There was another site, and I forget which one, that also had a video session with Pentax and they were pretty forthcoming with some interesting discussions. So, yes - the way the question is phrased and presented does apparently make a pretty substantial difference.

On the other hand, PF does represent a lot of Pentax users, and I would like to think that Pentax would be as forthcoming as possible (but not holding out any hope in this at all). Then again, Pentax is not known for their marketing savvy.

Exactly. It isn't an interrogation it should be a conversation.
02-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #56

Exactly. It isn't an interrogation it should be a conversation.
its only a conversation if both parties are willing to talk. In the past Pentax was not willing to say anything more than hollow phrases. Why should the Pentaxforums team waste their precious time without getting anything in return? I rewatched last years interview and i can only shake my head...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/cpplus-2017/cp-2017-pentax-interview-part-1.html

if anyone is interested
02-23-2018, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mani Quote
its only a conversation if both parties are willing to talk. In the past Pentax was not willing to say anything more than hollow phrases. Why should the Pentaxforums team waste their precious time without getting anything in return? I rewatched last years interview and i can only shake my head...

CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

if anyone is interested
That interview is typical of how the Japanese conducts business. Expecting more in an interview setting does not work. It would be uncommon to have questions answered in a clear and direct way as we prefer in our society. You have to realise that the person(s) from Ricoh who conducts the interview has very little scope for going off script. A confrontational approach would likely result in the interview being swiftly and politely ended.
02-23-2018, 10:25 PM   #58
Pentaxian

After years of Ricoh management, Pentax cameras still cannot be found in many major electronic stores in Germany and New Zealand (the list of countries could most likely easily be continued).

It seems like Ricoh is missing out on quite some market volume due to lack of presence.
Is this a deliberate choice, as in focusing on high-end photography stores or are there other reasons?

While Ricoh has increased marketing efforts, there still appears to be room for improvement. There is no official YouTube video on the K-1 II, for instance. Why not?

Is "Theta" the right product name for its target audience? Shouldn't it be called "Go360", "Active360" or similar?
02-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Is "Theta" the right product name for its target audience? Shouldn't it be called "Go360", "Active360" or similar?
That would be a shame.. "Theta" is such a great name for what it is!

Theta - Wikipedia

(sorry, can't get the letter to show here)
02-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoodworth Quote
"Theta" is such a great name for what it is!
For nerds, yes.

Using Greek letters to appeal to fun loving people who place indiscriminate framing and social media above careful composition and IQ seems ill-advised to me.