Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I add another one?

What the heck does Pentax thing a "Field Camera" is? What is their definition of "field camera" after translation? What is the "field camera" supposed to be good at? What is it's target market? Ok, maybe not exactly one but.......

02-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi guys, I dont know if anyone noticed but yesterday on PETAPIXEL, they are showing the range of SIGMA ART lenses just developed for SONY but as usual zero for PENTAX, just makes me wonder if they ever will bother or we are just going to have to wait for years for PENTAX/RICOH to bring out some fast lenses, regards Ian
02-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi guys, I dont know if anyone noticed but yesterday on PETAPIXEL, they are showing the range of SIGMA ART lenses just developed for SONY but as usual zero for PENTAX, just makes me wonder if they ever will bother or we are just going to have to wait for years for PENTAX/RICOH to bring out some fast lenses, regards Ian
Wrong thread?

And to answer your question: no they are not.
02-28-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes they are, as of late at least.
Thanks Adam.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I would like the in camera focus stacking function. Please ask if it is possible in the future.
And auto lens AF calibrations using Live View Contrast AF as a reference comparison.

03-01-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #125
Forum Member

As long as video is asked about, I'm good. I need higher bit-rate and better shake reduction during video.

Pentax developed a new advancement on the K-mount that allows for magnetic aperture, which is only really a benefit for video, plus a new lens motor that is even quieter then the DC motor, developing a motor that is even quieter than the DC is only going to be a practical benefit to video. These are 2 things that took some development time, plus it causes problems for backwards compatibility with the lenses that will have magnetic apertures, so introducing these features that only have benefits to videographers should indicate some serious commitment to video. Additionally, they've introduced continuous autofocus , (not just on demand) for video, even though it's very slow.

But without a higher bit rate, I can't consider Pentax a reasonable option for video.
03-01-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One extra question:

Why announce a 70-200mm F4 lens for 2019 when the company has a perfectly good 60-250 F4 design available for full frame? Using the longer design would free up development resources and have a USP (unique selling point) on the market, it seems.
03-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Why announce a 70-200mm F4 lens for 2019 when the company has a perfectly good 60-250 F4 design available for full frame?
Using the longer design would free up development resources and have a USP (unique selling point) on the market, it seems.
This can be answered here to - AF-speed and motor reliability will increase with the new design. Also maybe rounded blades will be used in this lens.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lenssearch/?minfl=60&type=Zoom&inproduction=0&f...qs=1&fixedap=1

Also either Tokina or Tamron did design the new lens, so not much ressources tied up at Pentax. Just (one year) waiting time like with the 15-30 & 24-70mm lens.
Tokina | Digital Eyes - Visionary technology makes a difference you can see
TAMRON | 70-210mm /F4 Di VC USD
Tamron 70-210 f4 - Nikon and Canon Only - any rumor of pentax rebadge? - PentaxForums.com

03-01-2018, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #128
Veteran Member

MARKETING
-Pentax isn't present in advertising as much as the competitors. How do you feel about using social media to promote the Pentax brand to a younger audience and increase its visibility ?

-Pentax have a very solid lineup of bodies and lenses. How does Pentax plan to communicate more efficiently to potential customers ?

-How does Pentax sees rumors website ? As spy revealing early games to competitors or as a way to create desire to potential customers ?

- What does Pentax thinks about relaying more on its user base to promote the brand ? And eventualy helping the community to get more traction to potential users.

CUSTOMERS FEEDBACK
- What chanels does Pentax use to listen feedback from users ?

- How do you feel about creating a content, like Youtube content, to help customers get the best out of their Pentax gear ? Like video about AF setup depending on the type of shooting, button configuration, etc ...

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2018 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Knowing that the K1 buffer is a problem for many users, why (looks like) the K1ii did not fix that issue??
that is a very good question !
03-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #129
Pentaxian

I'd like to add not a question, but rather a suggestion: social media/Youtube/better Facebook presence.
Would Ricoh Imaging consider stepping up the game here?

Inspired by aurele's post:
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The Canon video is really astonishing : beautiful and far from any agressive marketing. It's purely a soft-power marketing.

Pentax is so far from any kind of marketing.

Sony do rely a lot in Europe on social media and ambassadors and influencers. There isn't a lot of advertising on "traditional media" like Canon or Nikon. But i hear about Sony everyday on Instagram, FB, and such.

Pentax has a strong community that is eager to share the brand and show good stuff, and Pentax isn't even centralizing and capitalizing this. Which is a sad !

Built a small team (10 peoples) whose job is to increase visibility in social media in various part of the world. You can do wonders with very little stuff ! Offer a contest on Instagram with the more like of a picture taken with a Pentax to get a K1 or even a K3, you'll get traction fast.
There is boatload of easy idea to create visibility, the only thing is that you need people to make it in action !

Kenspo rôle is great ! But we would need a Kenspo in every country at least !
Oh, wait - aurele is here
03-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd like to add not a question, but rather a suggestion: social media/Youtube/better Facebook presence.
Would Ricoh Imaging consider stepping up the game here?

Inspired by aurele's post:

Oh, wait - aurele is here
Somehow this non-presence of Ricoh / Pentax (or the very low quality of it) is absolutely depressing !

Pentax Ricoh Germany have an active Instagram account but the pictures are often badly pixelated making the post mostly bad and unprofessional, and mostly un-selling point !

Pentax France / UK / South Europe / Central Europe is non-existant on social media even though France remain a strong market for Pentax in Europe
03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #131
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
This can be answered here to - AF-speed and motor reliability will increase with the new design. Also maybe rounded blades will be used in this lens.
First, even if it's a safe bet, ronded apertures have not been "confirmed" anywhere. The 70-200 F4 is nothing more than a line on the roadmap.

Second, rounded blades could be used in the current design.

Third, the same goes for the focus motor. The optical design could remain the same and the AF improved.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Also either Tokina or Tamron did design the new lens, so not much ressources tied up at Pentax.
That's simply speculation. And the focal length range is not even the same.
03-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The statement that a quieter lens motor design only benefits videographers is laughable. Think of all those wedding and wildlife togs.
03-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #133
Pentaxian

What are Pentax's thoughts concerning distribution channels? Often, new users are encouraged to find a camera that feels comfortable in their hands - but that is difficult if the only distributors are mostly "mail order" places.
03-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the buffer is the same [in KP and K-70], but the KP has a higher frame rate, so it fills up faster.
Well, at the end of the day it's fewer shots per burst on the KP than on the K-70, a much less expensive camera (47 jpeg / 11 raw on K-70 vrs 37 jpeg / 9 raw for the KP). And that's not even comparing the KP to the performance of the K-3ii. I really can't understand how a project manager within Ricoh - who would know that there's not going to be another APS-C body for a good long while - would greenlight such a specification on the KP. It just doesn't make any sense to me. But nevermind, as I said before, I don't think there's much point in asking. For now, I will keep shooting my K-3 and wait/hope for a real K-3ii successor (or make a switch)...
03-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
For now, I will keep shooting my K-3 and wait/hope for a real K-3ii successor (or make a switch)...
+1 Sums me up perfectly.
Could reference the current Pentax Survey too, in that it's really clear users are wanting to purchase the top end cameras, both APS-C and FF, much more than the mid tier ones.