Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
On another thread, Adam pointed me to this link.... that provides the APS-C+chip vs FF, specifically the KP vs K1.
Thanks, that was quite interesting

02-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have no interest in totally 'insane' ISO. My vision is to free 'Grandma' from the expense and weight of f/2 lenses. If she could use a K-70 + 55-300mm f/4-6.8 lens, say at ISO 16000, to take pictures of 'Grand Daughter' playing basketball, that would open a whole new market.

I do a fair amount of photographing my kids playing soccer, and that requires either a lot of light or letting ISO float pretty high at times. In the winter when they're playing indoor soccer the light is quite poor and it can be a struggle. I'm okay with the performance I get out of my K-3ii and old 55-300, but if I could get ISO 12800 that matched 1600 or 800 today that might just push me to upgrade. And I'm not a regular upgrader - I'd probably still be using the K-30 if the aperture block hadn't failed.
03-05-2018, 02:28 AM   #48
Pentaxian

[K-1 Mark II] 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensor & PRIME IV & Accelerator

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Watch the video in full size. They might not be 100% but they are big crops. 1minute in.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hy5aHDIyQ0&feature=youtu.be
They also have a quick scan of the different ISOs up to 512 from the crop, with no obvious colour changes till the last couple ISO.
New Video:
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxplus:
There was incorrect information shown in the video. The high sensitivity photo comparison between K-1 and K-1 Mark II was incorrect, the video has been revised. We apologize for any inconveniences caused.
03-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
New Video:
OK, it looks like they reposed it, with some modification. The two changes that I see that interested me were....
  • In the side by side chipped out image example, the ISO was originally 25600, and is now 51200.
  • The original statement has been slightly modified to "The accelerator chip is supposed to be most effective at low and mid ISOs. It retains detail and improves noise and DR.".
In essence, they are returning to emphasizing higher ISO values, while dropping claims about detail retention, along with improved noise and DR.

Just waiting for reviews and examples to try to figure out what benefits there are for me.

03-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Noise control at high ISO is really impressive.
03-06-2018, 03:05 AM   #51

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
OK, it looks like they reposed it, with some modification. The two changes that I see that interested me were....
  • In the side by side chipped out image example, the ISO was originally 25600, and is now 51200.
  • The original statement has been slightly modified to "The accelerator chip is supposed to be most effective at low and mid ISOs. It retains detail and improves noise and DR.".
In essence, they are returning to emphasizing higher ISO values, while dropping claims about detail retention, along with improved noise and DR.

Just waiting for reviews and examples to try to figure out what benefits there are for me.

Agree, downloadable raw samples would be great. The question for me has always been if it brings more to the table than what can be done in pp...although texts can (or could) clarify that, they don't so far, and comparison in a compressed youtube video at unknown magnification...come on...(but yes, it is better than the traditional silence =))

I think they should at least release a raw from mk1 and 2 taken with same optics, settings and tripod and we can see for ourselves...

I'm trying to stay positive but the lack of any details in what (how) it does or proper samples doesn't point in the right direction regarding the question if this is just noise removal pp built in or something more...
03-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Agree, downloadable raw samples would be great. The question for me has always been if it brings more to the table than what can be done in pp...although texts can (or could) clarify that, they don't so far, and comparison in a compressed youtube video at unknown magnification...come on...(but yes, it is better than the traditional silence =))

I think they should at least release a raw from mk1 and 2 taken with same optics, settings and tripod and we can see for ourselves...

I'm trying to stay positive but the lack of any details in what (how) it does or proper samples doesn't point in the right direction regarding the question if this is just noise removal pp built in or something more...
If Pentax does not release side by side K1 vs mkII PNG images, someone else will. There are several folks here on the forum who have indicated that they are pre-ordering the mkII while keeping their current K1, so that will be a ready source of comparison images. I'm also sure that Adam will do a side by side across all ISOs, to determine / identify any positive difference between resulting images.

I was mildly amused with Pentax walking back the sentence " It retains detail and improves noise and DR.". Hopefully, it is just them trying to be way too conservative in describing their results. My guess is that there will be several websites that will also do raw side by side reviews. I just hope that the set standard will be to release and make available the straight out of the camera PNG raw images with full EXIF data intact.

We will see. There should be plenty of time to obtain a pretty wide range of results, posting them, with everyone's analysis, critiques and debates, providing those of us who are potentially interested in upgrading, to make up our minds by the end of September.
QuoteQuote:
.... brings more to the table than what can be done in pp.
My experience has been, the earlier in the processing chain, noise/errors can be removed - so that you have as much of the overall signal to work with down stream, the better the results. The only "noise" you really want to see is the toggling of the LSB out of a analog to digital converter - otherwise you are loosing precision. That would be a significant win.