Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Before May we can expect intensive tests for high iso perofmance, new shake reduction function and imapct on AF. Early enough to decide for the update or not.
Currently with all the promises, an upgrade offer to an existing camera is just great. 36MP is a lot of pixels to work with; I don't want more pixels, but better performance in SR and ISO would be nice. I assume that I will have to reset all user setting and AF finetuning after the upgrade, but I would be happy to do so - also assuming to get proper CLA to the K1 after two years of good use.
Add more lenses and life is good.

02-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, but the images are too small and too dark. A good start though.
02-26-2018, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I just spent a bit of time searching "KP accelerator chip", and finding very little. Apparently there are few shooting with the KP. I looked quickly at the KP review here and didn't really find too much either. What I did find was this post....This thread does have a fair amount of information, and does touch on one concern of mine, which is - what it might do to astro images? Would it process the noise is such a way as to emulate the Sony "star eater" problem?

Has anyone used the KP for any sort of astro shooting? Milky Way? Deep space objects?

That thread didn't get as many responses as I had hoped, but the last few comments in this thread highlight why I started to ask questions. l believe Pentax has started down a potentially revolutionary path, and nobody seems to be paying attention! For a few moments I was hoping to see a "Q" with that technology, but where ever it goes, the higher usable ISO settings should change lots of things. For example, if this works out the way I hope, someone should be able to photograph basketball games with a 55-300mm f/4-5.8 lens, when formerly only f/2 or better would be acceptable. But nobody was awake!!
02-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently got a K-70, which also has the Accelerator chip in it. I've taken a few shots of the Orion Nebula with it, and they have been OK. But I don't have a non-Accelerator APS-C to compare to.
I have a K-1 also, but comparing to that isn't really apples to apples.

02-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That thread didn't get as many responses as I had hoped, but the last few comments in this thread highlight why I started to ask questions. l believe Pentax has started down a potentially revolutionary path, and nobody seems to be paying attention! For a few moments I was hoping to see a "Q" with that technology, but where ever it goes, the higher usable ISO settings should change lots of things. For example, if this works out the way I hope, someone should be able to photograph basketball games with a 55-300mm f/4-5.8 lens, when formerly only f/2 or better would be acceptable. But nobody was awake!!
Interesting idea. The Q with handheld pixel shifted 1/1.7" sensor as a travel camera... Unlikely, but tempting.
02-26-2018, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Unless the accelerator is disabled at low ISO, it should provide significant improvements at all ISOs in the shadows. Those samples show huge improvements in noise at 12800 which is to say that images taken at 1600 will show similar improvements in shadows only 3EV down from middle gray.
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
But to me the bigger "so what" for high ISO imaging is whether photographers who say they don't need ISO higher than 1600 say that because they've never had a camera that could produce a decent image at higher ISO. That is, they've unconsciously or deliberately avoided high ISO scenes either by putting away the camera when it gets dark or pulling out a flash or tripod.
I think you just described me until about 2010 when I got the Sony A850.

QuoteQuote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking or creating low ISO photographs. But there's a lot to be said for expanding the frontiers of high-quality, ambient light photography to times and places that aren't in full sun or that aren't readily (or permissibly) lit by flash or tripod-friendly.

Innovations like the K-1ii aren't so much about improving the images you already take (although it does that). It's really about expanding the conditions under which you can get great images.
Precisely this. Think of it the same way as good weatherproofing, or IBIS. It has nothing to do with whether you can get great shots with classic tripod settings---of course you can. But being able to use the tool in new ways is very liberating, as I found out with my Oly E-3 during my first shooting it wet snow w/o having to resort to camera/lens protection. Or the first time I was able to shoot above iso 400 and actually feel good about the results. I am now constantly in situations where I must shoot on the fly at higher iso's to manage the dim light and slight action, without using a tripod that would be in the way (even a monopod can be cumbersome).

QuoteQuote:
If Canikony introduced a sensor and camera that gave one or two extra stops of low-light performance, it would be hailed as game-shanging innovation. Why no similar accolades for Pentax?
Although it's not an actual deliberate conspiracy, it winds up being the same result....
02-26-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The few references that Pentax has to the accelerator chip (KP and K70) are pretty sparse in terms of any meaningful description. Now with the K1mkII, it appears that the main thrust of the update other than the ridiculous high ISO is the capability of the accelerator. I do wish that Pentax would write up a better description of why it helps photographers capture better images.

The few responses to your thread was probably the most information available. Also, in terms of its implementation, it's pretty difficult to perform any apples to apples comparison with respect to its benefits.

02-26-2018, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't want to be the one who lives for that ever more perfect picture. Would that person go back and retake every photo they can every time there's an improvement? Maybe hate their previously loved photos. IDK.
To me acceptable quality means alot. I love great quality but i love just getting a shot of something worth seeing more.
02-27-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Unless the accelerator is disabled at low ISO, it should provide significant improvements at all ISOs in the shadows. Those samples show huge improvements in noise at 12800 which is to say that images taken at 1600 will show similar improvements in shadows only 3EV down from middle gray.
From Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

"As expected, the accelerator unit incorporated into the PENTAX K-1 Mark II not only helped achieve the super-high top sensitivity of ISO 819200 by employing the combination of the PRIME IV imaging engine and the 35mm full-frame sensor, but also greatly improved image quality at normal sensitivity ranges. "
02-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I recently got a K-70, which also has the Accelerator chip in it. I've taken a few shots of the Orion Nebula with it, and they have been OK. But I don't have a non-Accelerator APS-C to compare to.
I think that would actually be an interesting comparison: APS+chip vs FF.
02-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
What kind of ISO settings were you using? Did you notice that any stars were missing? {One of the basic requirements of automated Noise Reduction is that it not erase detail that was there}
02-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Color me impressed!
02-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The few references that Pentax has to the accelerator chip (KP and K70) are pretty sparse in terms of any meaningful description. Now with the K1mkII, it appears that the main thrust of the update other than the ridiculous high ISO is the capability of the accelerator. I do wish that Pentax would write up a better description of why it helps photographers capture better images.

The few responses to your thread was probably the most information available. Also, in terms of its implementation, it's pretty difficult to perform any apples to apples comparison with respect to its benefits.
I have no interest in totally 'insane' ISO. My vision is to free 'Grandma' from the expense and weight of f/2 lenses. If she could use a K-70 + 55-300mm f/4-6.8 lens, say at ISO 16000, to take pictures of 'Grand Daughter' playing basketball, that would open a whole new market.

---------- Post added 02-27-18 at 10:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Interesting idea. The Q with handheld pixel shifted 1/1.7" sensor as a travel camera... Unlikely, but tempting.
I was also thinking of covering its natural weakness in the area of high ISO values.
02-27-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
I think that would actually be an interesting comparison: APS+chip vs FF.
On another thread, Adam pointed me to this link.... that provides the APS-C+chip vs FF, specifically the KP vs K1.
02-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Indeed.
A GR or GR derivate though...