Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Tokina-inspired are your words and your words only.

As per the Pentax roadmap, the HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4's tentative release date is spring 2019.[COLOR="Silver"]
Well, I read them here somewhere, and the impression I had was that Pentax was leaning on an established relationship to get us some good glass earlier than otherwise. Maybe Iím applying certainty where there is none...

Iím just chasing the cow, I didnít mean to step in its... stuff...

But thank you for the date.

-Eric

03-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #77
Pentaxian

From "reading them here somewhere" to a consensus is a long way.
03-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
From "reading them here somewhere" to a consensus is a long way.
Well, the consensus part was meant to specifically refer to the date... and I did not mean to step on so many toes with the sourcing...

I did go back once I sat at a grownup computer and have a look to see where this had come from...
The first speculation that Tokina was involved (and I saw) was in post six of this thread...
Good: New roadmap, new lens - PentaxForums.com
It took until post 34 before someone claimed to have a source (though, of course mysterious, anonymous, and possibly meant solely for humor value, this being the internet)
Lots of other rampant speculation, of course, much of it centered on the Tokina relationship with the 50mm...

I added to some of that discussion myself about a month ago, as I would like a decent full frame telephoto, and I don't want to pay for or lug a 2.8.
I'm very excited about a Pentax 70-200 f4, especially if it is as well-regarded as the 28-105.
If Pentax works with another company on that to get me a lens I want sooner at a better price, that takes nothing away from Pentax; it only means they focused their energy on something else.
I'm OK with that. They frankly have a lot to do right now... and they could do far worse for partners than Tokina... so there's a logic to the arrangement, even if there's nothing concrete to back it up.

Whether Tokina/Tamron/Sigma/Yongnuo/Zeiss/Meyer Optik/Samyang/Leitz or anyone else was consulted on, provided parts for, dreamt up, manufactured, looked at, or cleaned up after any aspect of the DFA 70-200f4 that is on the roadmap, I have no reliable source one way or the other. In any event, looks like we'll all find out in about a year, barring other assembly line disruptions...

Regards,

-Eric
03-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax says a problem on the production line.
Looks like Pentax have been increasingly unlucky these years :-)

03-31-2018, 12:33 AM   #80
Pentaxian

The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 was speculated to be a Tamron, a Sigma and last, a Tokina - anything but a Pentax. Obviously it can't be all those at once.

Such speculation is done with no other purpose than being disparaging about Pentax' lens design capabilities. Sure, if there is some information about that lens being made by another company/designed by another company/designed by Pentax and shared with another company, it's fine to say so. But what information did we had about the 50mm being a Tamron or a Sigma?

So maybe the 70-200 will be based on Tokina's version (hopefully, fixing the flare issues of that lens); the restarted collaboration between the two companies makes that possible. But it could be a Pentax as well. What's the point in calling it "Tokina-based", before we know?
Disparaging. Because the company with significant optical design capabilities needs the help of the company without.
03-31-2018, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #81
bxf
Pentaxian

Such speculation is done with no other purpose than being disparaging about Pentax' lens design capabilities
Agreed.

Ironically, though, I don't believe that cooperation with Sigma/Tamron/Tokina should be viewed in negative light, since they are all capable of producing perfectly good lenses theses days. If there are good reasons to partner up with another maker, then why not? The end result is what should count. Also, it's not as if the major players, including Pentax, never produce any dogs on their own.
03-31-2018, 01:15 AM   #82
Pentaxian

By the way, if anyone wants to speculate how Pentax is such in poor shape that they absolutely need Tokina's help to design lenses, take a look at each company's patents list:

Kenko-Tokina; you'll find nothing until 2016 - which has the 70-200
???????????????????? 2018?

Ricoh Imaging; many are for cameras, of course; but even if we're still in March there are lens-related patents for this year.

(keeping in mind that there is no 1:1 correspondence between patents and a specific product)

---------- Post added 31-03-18 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Ironically, though, I don't believe that cooperation with Sigma/Tamron/Tokina should be viewed in negative light, since they are all capable of producing perfectly good lenses theses days. If there are good reasons to partner up with another maker, then why not? The end result is what should count. Also, it's not as if the major players, including Pentax, never produce any dogs on their own.
The end result of the current cooperation with Tokina is the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 - and that's a very, very good thing. If sharing the financial burden with another company is what's getting us these D FA* primes...

If they don't overdo it, it's fine. OTOH it only took two rebadged Tamrons to get the forums into a "it's a Sigma! It's a Tamron! No, it's an everything-else-just-not-a-Pentax!" frenzy.
03-31-2018, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

By the way, if anyone wants to speculate how Pentax is such in poor shape that they absolutely need Tokina's help to design lenses, take a look at each company's patents list:

Kenko-Tokina; you'll find nothing until 2016 - which has the 70-200

Ricoh Imaging; many are for cameras, of course; but even if we're still in March there are lens-related patents for this year.

(keeping in mind that there is no 1:1 correspondence between patents and a specific product)
this is he/she said, I read it from this forum phrase, but. isnít it so that Pentax(now Ricoh) has long history of doing co-op with Tokina, Tamron. sharing patents, developing ... and since they are old Japanese companyes, it is their coulture to carry on that tradition. helping each others. So, why should anyone think that as bad thing. It is our western coulture that has let go of doing individually things, letting go tradition and making one company the greatest and killing smaller ones, thing. There is little what can be improved when everything is for example Nestle! That is sad.
Not co-op, and sharing knowledge.

04-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #84
Pentaxian

I'd love a samyang 135/2 that has AF for Pentax.
04-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
According to La Boutique Pentax in Paris, the commercial availability of the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW is delayed until July 2018. The alleged cause is an incident on the production line.
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Really? I doubt.
The delay is now official even though the cause is presented a bit differently.

Development update regarding the HD PENTAX-D FA 50mm F1.4 SDM AW (Tentative name)|RICOH IMAGING