Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fuji seems to bundle with primes. Works for them, I reccon primes are doing a revival. No stats or anything though!

03-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #272
naward001

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Pentax has camera bodies that are good enough to convince many buyers to switch, but before those buyers decide to buy a Pentax system, they will consider the quality of the lens lineup. A stellar 85/1.4 will impress buyers looking to switch from Canon or Nikon systems, even if they would never own such a lens themselves...
I went from a Canon EOS 5DS R to the Pentax K-1 (first Pentax purchase excluding a second-hand 6x7 in the past), and am very happy with the camera, but after trying about 9 different lenses (31/43/77 having been my favorite but not exactly where I want to have my money invested) I'm not exactly satisfied with the quality currently available to me. In light of the 85/1.4 being moved to 2019, and the 50/1.4 still not even being priced, I am now considering dropping Pentax because I really can't be waiting another two years or so to have 35/50/85 covered which, from my perspective, is the bare minimum.

It is a tough position, I really love the K-1 and I'm sure that the new D FA* lenses are going to be excellent but I want to make pictures now and having to settle on sub-par equipment for another year or more is not something that I'm interested in doing. I like the camera enough that I would even consider coming back to Pentax in a few years (if I do leave) when they actually have things on shelves but in the short term I really feel at a loss for utilizing the potential of the K-1.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN a recent conversation with a camera store owner I asked him what he thought of the coming Pentax 1.4 lenses. He said " I can't sell 1.4 lenses of any make."

The only way 1.4 lenses make any sense is the prestige value of a few good reviews with the Pentax name on them, places like Imaging Resources and DPR. This is a marketing ploy, not an attempt to produce needed lens in needed focal lengths.

If, I'm walking into a store today looking for an FF and the only affordable lens they have is over $1000 they've lost a sale. That 28-105 is probably all that's keeping the K-1 going at the moment.
I have the 28-105 and it the only zoom lens that I've felt was worth owning, I use it on my K-1 and am fairly pleased. I do, however, prefer primes in every situation. I don't even care about f/1.4 because I'm often between f/4-f/11 but I do want and need the quality offered by these $1k+ primes. I understand that my needs are not typical but it seems to me that Pentax has plenty of offerings for people who don't want or need top-shelf performance, so I really wish they would put more attention into the area that they are severely lacking in.
03-01-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Different group there I suppose. In my travels here and there, in my art co-operative and in my camera club I know of only one other person who has a prime lens. Of course maybe they have them and just don't use them. At last camera club outing, 20 photographers with various equipment. No primes all zooms.
Different where I am, I would say zooms rule but there's a high penetration of 50/1.8 lenses among the dslr users in my camera club. There are a few heavy proponents of the Canon version, which I think might help sell it to the group. There's also a decent number of macro lenses, some of them end up just sitting in closets though. I've also seen a few canon 85/1.8's, and at least one person has a samyang 14mm. There is a range of budgets in my camera club, but overall they are not high rollers who don't bat an eye at $8k telephotos to photograph ducks. Costliest lenses floating around are probably 70-200/2.8's, and there aren't many of those in the mix.
03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #274

You can get a sigma 35 now and the pentax 50 is hopefully available next month.

QuoteOriginally posted by naward001 Quote
I went from a Canon EOS 5DS R to the Pentax K-1 (first Pentax purchase excluding a second-hand 6x7 in the past), and am very happy with the camera, but after trying about 9 different lenses (31/43/77 having been my favorite but not exactly where I want to have my money invested) I'm not exactly satisfied with the quality currently available to me. In light of the 85/1.4 being moved to 2019, and the 50/1.4 still not even being priced, I am now considering dropping Pentax because I really can't be waiting another two years or so to have 35/50/85 covered which, from my perspective, is the bare minimum.

It is a tough position, I really love the K-1 and I'm sure that the new D FA* lenses are going to be excellent but I want to make pictures now and having to settle on sub-par equipment for another year or more is not something that I'm interested in doing. I like the camera enough that I would even consider coming back to Pentax in a few years (if I do leave) when they actually have things on shelves but in the short term I really feel at a loss for utilizing the potential of the K-1.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 02:15 PM ----------

I have the 28-105 and it the only zoom lens that I've felt was worth owning, I use it on my K-1 and am fairly pleased. I do, however, prefer primes in every situation. I don't even care about f/1.4 because I'm often between f/4-f/11 but I do want and need the quality offered by these $1k+ primes. I understand that my needs are not typical but it seems to me that Pentax has plenty of offerings for people who don't want or need top-shelf performance, so I really wish they would put more attention into the area that they are severely lacking in.

03-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect the owners of modern f1.4 lenses (except maybe older-generation 50s, like the FA) are more likely to mail order them and not head down to the local shop (at least in my corner of the world)

None of my local shops would ever stock a 85mm f1.4 unless maybe it was a Rokinon...

And I agree owners of modern f1.4 af lenses are likely a minority.

But if my sample is ‘folks with full frame bodies in the local camera club’, the odds go way up.

-Eric
03-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #276
Veteran Member

I still have a hard time understanding why Ricoh went with the 50mm lens as their first choice as a new prime lens. Not ideal focal lenght for portraits, not ideal for street, not ideal for landscapes... The only reason I come up with it's that a 50mm lens doesn't affect the sales of any of their zoom lenses. A 20mm lens would probably have a big impact on the sales of the 15-30mm f2.8 lens and the 85mm would be nice for wedding and portrait photographers as an alternative to the 70-200mm f2.8 lens.
03-01-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #277
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I still have a hard time understanding why Ricoh went with the 50mm lens as their first choice as a new prime lens. Not ideal focal lenght for portraits, not ideal for street, not ideal for landscapes... The only reason I come up with it's that a 50mm lens doesn't affect the sales of any of their zoom lenses. A 20mm lens would probably have a big impact on the sales of the 15-30mm f2.8 lens and the 85mm would be nice for wedding and portrait photographers as an alternative to the 70-200mm f2.8 lens.
I figure it's because I wanted one.
The 50 is not an ideal lens for anything, but it is a competent focal length for a lot of things.

03-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #278
Pentaxian

I could think of several possible reasons: because they want a high-end standard prime; because they want to test the "drastically reviewed internal standards" on an easier design; because that lens will be used in reviews; because it would sell in higher numbers according to their data.

But "because I wanted one" looks good enough
03-01-2018, 03:21 PM - 4 Likes   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Yeah but is the working pro market where its really at for Pentax? I think you are wrong here.

I think that the core Pentax market is for landscape, travel and hobbyist.
Do you really think the brand can survive without any pros want to use it? I think you are the wrong one here!

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 11:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Joke aside, is there any way I could liaise with any of them? Email / phone number? Even a small gun who could introduce...
Dont think my emails and phone numbers in the system is for the public. But I always try to forward stuff when I talk with anyone.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 11:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Are you sure the 70-200/4 “steals” any development time from the 85/1.4?
Yes I'm sure!

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 11:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The being taken seriously by the big boys boat has long since sailed.
I said be taken serious like the big boys, not by the big boys. A bit difference there
03-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I figure it's because I wanted one.
The 50 is not an ideal lens for anything, but it is a competent focal length for a lot of things.
I don't argue with your reasons. For the ones who want one, it's a good news, the lens being just around the corner. I admit, I'm more into the 24/35/85/100/135mm when comes to focal lenghts for primes. 50mm has no real use for me. I tried to like this focal lenght but without luck.
03-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #281
JPT
Pentaxian

I think they understand that releasing only expensive niche prime lenses in succession would have little immediate affect on sales. Those kind of lenses take years to justify their existence financially, while a telezoom would probably be a big seller in FF and APS-C immediately.

The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 seems to have been selling significantly better than the Pentax equivalent lens all year, which would indicate that a majority of customers want something more compact and affordable. I think the 70-200 would be a big seller.

There is a reason why they keep remaking the 55-300 lens for APS-C. That kind of lens is a big seller.
03-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #282
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have a hard time understanding why Ricoh went with the 50mm lens as their first choice as a new prime lens. Not ideal focal length for portraits, not ideal for street, not ideal for landscapes.
Its THE normal focal length, so bringing a modern, first class optical construction design with faster AF is a key role for the lens lineup.
Normal lens - Wikipedia
Also the key factor for street/portrait/landscape is the photographer, his eye and his vision. I can do landscape, street and architecture with 300mm, wildlife on occasion with 31mm and Portraits with 50mm. My D FA 100mm has been used on the K-5 for 2/3 of my pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Are you sure the 70-200/4 “steals” any development time from the 85/1.4? Maybe they need the time to make the 85 perfect anyway.
Yes I'm sure!
It's like guessing the D FA 70-200 optical design comes from Tamron/Tokina, but this at least makes sense because of the usual one-year waiting time to label it as Pentax.
03-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
It probably depends on your demographic too. I live in Naples, FL where my camera club was filled with retirees. They were using the best of the best Nikon D5, pro zooms, high end primes and even Leica gear. I felt like the cheapskate going there and I've always had decent mid to high level gear.
I live in Geneva and know what you mean... Experienced the same with people having very good gear for shooting cats and grandson

---------- Post added 03-02-2018 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Different group there I suppose. In my travels here and there, in my art co-operative and in my camera club I know of only one other person who has a prime lens. Of course maybe they have them and just don't use them. At last camera club outing, 20 photographers with various equipment. No primes all zooms.
Depends on geography and also favorite topics of the club.
For instance in mine, people are into macro and wildlife. For long lenses, split between primes and zoom is 50/50, for macros, well primes only.
I took my first portraits with 105 macro and liked how sharp they were, even too sharp sometimes, but lens was a bit too long so I ended up buying a 85mm when sigma still had it available in K mount.
Contrary to statistical beliefs I have no specific usage of 70-200 ; i prefer to use a less good but longer 70-300. And as i am a bit into woldlife too, I have a 150-450 for working out...

We dont all share the same styles, Pentax market studies probably led them to go for this arbitrage that pleases some styles and gets others angry...
03-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #284
Veteran Member

Well asahi man just replied to me on DP that 11-18 is tokina design as i suspected while 50 is pentax. What will be interesting to know is if the new opera lens is actually being made by pentax for tokina, like the way tamron makes the its lenses for us. It makes sense if they do it that way as you get a much bigger production run and therefore you can produce the lenses cheaper. Ricoh cooperation with tokina and flash makers is really exciting stuff!
03-01-2018, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #285
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I still have a hard time understanding why Ricoh went with the 50mm lens as their first choice as a new prime lens. Not ideal focal lenght for portraits, not ideal for street, not ideal for landscapes...
I know a commercial photographer who owns a room full of stuff, but really only uses his Canon and a 50mm f1.4, it's so versatile.

Fast fifties are a standard.

Back in the film age, it was what you got with the camera, a do-all with quality. Because the focal length is so close to the registration distance, they're the easiest to do. The sharpest lenses in the Zeiss and Sigma Art lineups are their fifties.

If I head out the door with the K-1, Sigma DG 12-24, Pentax 28-105 and Tamron 70-200, that's all the focal lengths covered but I'll still throw in the DA*55 f1.4, because it's just different.

it's the ideal first lens in a lineup if you're releasing a from the ground up new generation of glass.

The next would be an 85mm f1.4 like Kenspo's drooling for, and guess what? That's the one that's scheduled next.

Last edited by clackers; 03-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.