Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 273 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since Asahiman does not post here under that name, all I see is third hand speculation that is then attributed to his posts which seem to be translated or show that English may be his third language, I see lots of assumptions based on his posts. As I do not follow him on DPreviews, I have rated his reliability as a source at a fairly low level. Perhaps when Asahi owned Pentax he had an in for information, but how likely is it now?
BTW, in most places patents are public records unless they are classified due to intelligence requirements, and it is highly unlikely that lens patents will fall into that category.

Show me or stop claiming unprovable speculation. Just because you say "may be true" does not diminish the fact that you are throwing the equivalent of bull fertilizer around by repeating unprovable rumors.

03-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #332
Forum Member

I don't care...
Top on my list is the survival of the PENTAX K-mount system...
So I would say, if I have a "good wire" to Ricoh-imaging like Kunzite so often claims to have, I would....
despite I feel a bit relieved, since they claim ring motor type is going to be their new standard next to PLM,(Looking at what seems to establish as the new standard in terms of Autofocus, burst rates, video etc. on the market)...
I would rather feel the need to push PENTAX to build cameras that don't fall behind everyone else's...
than caring about people, that are considering possibilities, if and which company RICOH buys parts from, to build their products.
Which also doesn't make any sense to me either actually.
A good advice to everyone: Put that lens speculation game down to the bottom of your complaining list.
Leads to nowhere...
03-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
if I have a "good wire" to Ricoh-imaging like Kunzite so often claims to have
If you're talking about inside info, I never made such claims.
03-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #334
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's not pompous at all.

The "it's a rebadge!" crowd had gone as far as claiming that Pentax cannot possibly design lenses on the Sigma Art level (that was back then when the "Tokina" was a "Sigma", just before it ceased to be a "Tamron").
Their goal is clearly spreading doubt on Pentax' ability as an OEM photographic equipment manufacturer. This is what's not acceptable.

Of course, I'm not putting all of that on you. But, you did suggest some link between a mirrorless Tokina lens and a future Pentax SLR lens we so far know nothing about. It's obviously a not well researched claim, and made with what purpose?
This all sounds like paranoia to me. These are just cameras. Much as we like them that's all they are. I'd suggest getting out of the hothouse for a bit.

03-02-2018, 07:45 AM - 6 Likes   #335
mee
Veteran Member

I think some of you people take this stuff too seriously... it doesn't matter who designed the lens, with whom, or why. Even if one of you is found to be 'right' and someone else 'wrong' what do you win? internet cookie? Congratulations.

This is how the dust-ups happen here.. people get caught in a spiral over pointless, petty arguments and personal opinion battles. Let's move on please...
03-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tokina shows a 50 that seems similar in a number of ways to the D-FA* 50 at the same time both are shown. Where's Tokina's 11-18? The 11-20 isn't supposed to be that great in the image quality department, giving up some IQ for greater zoom range over their 11-16. This doesn't sound like great ingredients for the * marking on the 11-18.

It may turn out to be a shared design or something similar. I'm going to trust in Ricoh to guard the Pentax brand and to make sure that the * is being applied properly. In the end, I'm not in the market for this lens anyway, so I hope that they are successful and wish them the best.

And then get me a mid 20's prime with a fast aperture, por favor.
03-02-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #337
Veteran Member

CP+ 2018 ? Canon ? Nikon ??? Tokina opera 50mm F1.4 FF ??? (133412) - ???
Lens hood looks familiar. Can someone translate.

03-02-2018, 08:43 AM - 7 Likes   #338
Veteran Member

If the new lenses are world class, who really cares who made it? Seriously this tribalism is flippin stupid. It’s a camera not a lifestyle. Use the gear and make photos, stop wrapping yourselves in the flag of Pentax and crusading for it on the internet.
03-02-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #339
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Nikon and Canon users could use Pentax DFA*50/1.4 in Tokina version
03-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Nikon and Canon users could use Pentax DFA*50/1.4 in Tokina version
Yes, anyone could get the Pentax star lens for 70% of the Pentax price. So basically, as soon as you buy 2 lenses, you save as much as the price difference between a K1 and a 5DIV or K1 and D850.
03-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #341
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
They say that Tokina presented at CP+ the opera 50mm F1.4 FF, the first product of the new opera family of flagship lenses, which is comparable in size to Pentax's DFA* 50mm F1.4.

Then they add considerations about the different rotation directions of the focus ring in Canon and Nikon mounts to match that of the OEM lenses, and its impact on the orientation of the distance scale as shown by the picture of the two copies side by side.
03-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They say that Tokina presented at CP+ the opera 50mm F1.4 FF, the first product of the new opera family of flagship lenses, which is comparable in size to Pentax's DFA* 50mm F1.4.
But isnt the stated weight significantly different?
Tokina has some history with Pentax, but I don't see why now. The product photos don't tell the whole story, they are just prototype mockups.

And its funny people say Pentax couldn't compete against Tamron and Sigma primes, when just a couple years ago both of those were considered the "inferior third party" products. Yes, they got better. But Pentax didn't stay stuck in 1990s, either.
03-02-2018, 09:41 AM - 3 Likes   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But isnt the stated weight significantly different?
Tokina has some history with Pentax, but I don't see why now. The product photos don't tell the whole story, they are just prototype mockups.

And its funny people say Pentax couldn't compete against Tamron and Sigma primes, when just a couple years ago both of those were considered the "inferior third party" products. Yes, they got better. But Pentax didn't stay stuck in 1990s, either.
While you make a valid point, I think that a lot of the third party attention comes from their lenses going from "ok to good" to being "great to excellent." The Sigma art lenses in particular are almost universally excellent on a technical level when it comes to sharpness, contrast, CA etc. Where I believe that the Sigma lenses fall slightly short is on rendering. Everything is subjective, but I only like the rendering of the 50 Art and 135 Art. The 85 is great too, but it's gigantic in my opinion.

I think that a lot of modern designs are suffering from the pursuit of technical excellence. These ultra sharp, technically excellent lenses also give what is known as a clinical look. Some people love the new look and other people prefer the look of older, less perfectly corrected lenses. I think I'm somewhere in the middle where I hate having to mess with fringing issues and lenses being soft wide open, but I don't always like the newest models of lenses. This is probably why a lot of people love the limited lenses. It's for their "look"
03-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember the "fun" we had around here when the D-FA 50 was leaked, with pictures, and the suggestion that it was a rebadged Sigma was tossed around? That was pretty neat.
03-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, anyone could get the Pentax star lens for 70% of the Pentax price.
Not quite - it doesn't follow that it would Pentax coatings or build quality - in fact it wouldn't - assuming, for the sake of argument that the Tokina is a Pentax rebadge - even the lenses that are Pentax rebadges of Tamron don't have Pentax coatings etc.

OTOH - it could benefit Pentax if Canikon users see how good Pentax lenses are