Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
oh dear god let that just be a falsehood.
Agree. That would be a complete non-starter for me. And I cannot locate the post any longer but I believe it was one of the online pundits that was repeating the note from Tokina about the lens being available with either focus direction and just made the assumption that meant it had to be 'fly by wire'. Maybe they corrected their blog.

03-10-2018, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
From an R&D and tooling expense perspective it would be an expensive way to differentiate. Canon and Nikon lenses do not require by wire focusing.
No they don't, but that didn't stop Canon from releasing quite a few focus by wire L lenses back in the day:

EF 50mm 1.0 L USM
EF 85mm 1.2 L USM
EF 85mm 1.2 L USM II
EF 28-80mm 2.8-4 L USM
EF 200mm 1.8 L USM
EF 300mm 2.8 L USM
EF 400mm 2.8 L USM
EF 400mm 2.8 L II USM
EF 500mm 4.5 L USM
EF 600mm 4 L USM
EF 1200mm 5.6 L USM

Only the 85 1.2 L II is still in production, so Canon seems to have come to their senses on this issue.

---------- Post added 03-10-18 at 08:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And I cannot locate the post any longer but I believe it was one of the online pundits that was repeating the note from Tokina about the lens being available with either focus direction and just made the assumption that meant it had to be 'fly by wire'.
If the user can choose which direction the lens focuses, then it has to be a focus-by-wire lens. However, it that were the case, Tokina would have to either include a switch on the lens controlling this feature or some method of changing the lens' firmware. So is there a switch for changing focusing direction on the Tokina lens? Does a method exist for changing Tokina lens firmware? If neither is true, the Tokina 50mm 1.4 is almost certainly not FBW. It's unlikely it would be in any case. Canon tried producing focus by wire L lenses back in the day and, by all accounts, it didn't go over well.
03-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If the user can choose which direction the lens focuses, then it has to be a focus-by-wire lens. However, it that were the case, Tokina would have to either include a switch on the lens controlling this feature or some method of changing the lens' firmware. So is there a switch for changing focusing direction on the Tokina lens?
Sorry to have caused a stir based on what was almost certainly a bad assumption on the part of a 'journalist' who failed to check for accurate sources. Here is what Tokina said "The direction of the focus ring rotation fits the genuine Nikon and Canon lens." Here is the official Tokina Press Release. The post I read made the assumption that meant focus by wire. I do not believe that is accurate and no place does it say that.