Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 273 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
2019 for a 85 f1.4. I'd better be satisfied with the Samyang 85 1.4 and DFA70-200. While the Samyang does produce the effect of a 85 1.4, the sharpness of my copy is not so good, not to mention difficulty to nail focus.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-27-2018 at 10:54 AM.
02-27-2018, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't care about any of the roadmap lenses! After considerable testing, I've now got a set of manual focus lenses that fully satisfy my needs now and in the future.

I've got a collection of adapted Zeiss Milvus lenses and Leica R lenses. I doubt that any future roadmap lens will produce a more pleasing IQ to me than these superlative lenses do on my K1.

If a photographer can master manual focusing, you'll learn to love the MF lenses that are currently available and you'll no longer be disappointed by these roadmap delays of auto-focus lenses. Other than auto-focus, I don't expect any of these new Pentax roadmap lenses to produce IQ that can beat the best manual focus lenses that are currently available.

Sure, I recognize that a few of you who are professional photographers might need auto focus. But the majority here are amateur photographers who don't need auto-focus for what they shoot - they just want it because they've not taken the time to master manual focus.

To those of you who perpetually whine about Pentax's inadequate AF capabilities I say "If you want a fast, conveinient, no-brainer, auto-everything camera get the latest smart phone". If you want to be creative and exercise full control over your image captures, get a big camera with a manual focus lens.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-27-2018 at 11:30 AM.
02-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Be sure that I will make them stuff the 70-200 a place where the sun doesn't shine!
You know more than I do about what Ricoh is thinking, but the roadmap says that both the 85/1.4 and the 70-200/4 will be released in 2019... it’s a long delay for a lens that was announced last year but I’d think the DA*11-18 took its development more so than the 70-200.

I like that there’s a wide fast prime and a fisheye zoom on the roadmap.

Personally, aps-c is my chosen format so I’m very excited about the 11-18 and the hint that more updates to the DA* lines are coming. When it’s released my sigma 10-20 f3.5 will be for sale and I’ll be updating. Maybe we’ll see the new aps-c body then too.
02-27-2018, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Sure, I recognize that a few of you who are professional photographers might need auto focus. But the majority here are amateur photographers who don't need auto-focus - they just want it because they've not taken the time to master manual focus.
And also we can't afford $2000 manual focus lenses with fancy mount conversions and whatnot.
Still, that DFA* 50mm and 85mm should compete against the best of the best in the 35mm DSLRs world - Samyang, Sigma, Zeiss, whatever

02-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And also we can't afford $2000 manual focus lenses with fancy mount conversions and whatnot.
Still, that DFA* 50mm and 85mm should compete against the best of the best in the 35mm DSLRs world - Samyang, Sigma, Zeiss, whatever
Premium manual focus lenses last a lifetime - generations even.

I always purchase my lenses "used" in like new condition. Only once have I spent over $1,000 for a lens (Leica Summilux 80mm f/1.4). I expect the new, fast, Pentax roadmap primes will cost much more than $1,000.
02-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is interesting to see the delay of the 85 lens. I'm new to Pentax, but that seems like a bread and butter lens for portrait shooters that don't want the bulk (or cost) of the 70-200 f/2.8. I can understand why the 70-200 lens came out first, but I understand how people are disappointed.

I feel like they should produce two lens lineups for two groups

-continue with DFA high end zoom and prime lenses with fast apertures for pro's/advanced enthusiasts
-produce high quality mid range lenses that are somewhat slower but cheaper.

This has worked very well for me with the Sony system. I own the FE 28 and FE 85. Both are high quality "mid range" lenses. Sony offers higher end options, but they are too pricey for what I want to do with the lenses. They also have a cheap 50mm macro and an expensive 90mm macro. There is a 70-300 mid range lens and the new 100-400 high end lens.

I think it's unfair to expect the production capacity of Ricoh to rival the larger companies, but I think that a slower version of the above strategy makes sense.
02-27-2018, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They probably last even longer when there's no stop-down mechanism to wear out.

No thanks. It's one thing on a Helios 44-2 or other old M42 lens, or something like the Samyang 85 which is probably not often operated narrower than f4, but your path seems like a hard sell.

02-27-2018, 11:59 AM - 3 Likes   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
It is interesting to see the delay of the 85 lens. I'm new to Pentax, but that seems like a bread and butter lens for portrait shooters that don't want the bulk (or cost) of the 70-200 f/2.8. I can understand why the 70-200 lens came out first, but I understand how people are disappointed.

I feel like they should produce two lens lineups for two groups

-continue with DFA high end zoom and prime lenses with fast apertures for pro's/advanced enthusiasts
-produce high quality mid range lenses that are somewhat slower but cheaper.

This has worked very well for me with the Sony system. I own the FE 28 and FE 85. Both are high quality "mid range" lenses. Sony offers higher end options, but they are too pricey for what I want to do with the lenses. They also have a cheap 50mm macro and an expensive 90mm macro. There is a 70-300 mid range lens and the new 100-400 high end lens.

I think it's unfair to expect the production capacity of Ricoh to rival the larger companies, but I think that a slower version of the above strategy makes sense.
It is not like we do not have plenty of lenses available in these focal lengths. The FA* 85 f1.4, for instance, is wonderful although expensive. The FA 77 ltd is almost as good, much less expensive and easily found in Pentax dealers. The impatience if for fast focusing, silent lenses. But Pentaxians continue to make outstanding photos with the legacy lenses every day. Just check the lens club section. I am looking forward to the new 85 but I will continue to enjoy my FA*85 while I wait. I love using Pentax equipment which is why I sold all my Sony FF equipment over the past year. The Sony stuff (I had all of the GM lenses except the 16-30 as well as the A9 and A7RIII) was excellent but not as fun as my Pentax gear. A very personal choice but no regrets.
02-27-2018, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The FA* 85 f1.4, for instance, is wonderful although expensive. The FA 77 ltd is almost as good, much less expensive and easily found in Pentax dealers.
If you go this route, Ricoh could have saved lot of money by not offering the DFA28-105, DFA24-70, DFA70200 etc , they could have told K1 owners to look for FA 28-105 and FA 70-210 on ebay.
02-27-2018, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

I love using Pentax equipment which is why I sold all my Sony FF equipment over the past year. The Sony stuff (I had all of the GM lenses except the 16-30 as well as the A9 and A7RIII) was excellent but not as fun as my Pentax gear. A very personal choice but no regrets.
Yes, its all a personal choice which is why i'm favouring some different brand bodies over the K-1 upgrade or buying the 2nd version.I'll wait and see though.The $$$ony A7iii looks a bang for buck body compared to what you have sold.i doubt i'll ever sell my Pentax gear.
02-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #101
Veteran Member

A lot of it is perception. Most will own a less expensive 85mm f1.8 but want to know you can buy or rent a modern world class 85mm f1.4 for when you think you might need it. It makes it easier to sell the system for folks like Kenspo who’s job it is to attract professional users to the Pentax system.

People like options, and most people who do this for money don’t want to buy and rely on used Legacy glass. The DFA*70-200/2.8 is excellent but isn’t always the right tool if only for its size and weight, and a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, are put off by the 77Ltd’s screwdrive autofocus.
02-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #102
Veteran Member

I was shown the K-1 at a nearby store, (only store, only Pentax model in stock) and had a severe case of GAS when I held it. My skill level doesn't justify purchasing it so I am justifying an upgrade to the KP this week as a way to test the similar feature set, accelerator chip and high ISO capabilities fthat seem to have a lot in common with the upcoming MKII.
I think I am going to stay APSC for a while and am waiting for the new DA 11-18 with bated breath.
02-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't Tamron just release/announce a lens just like that for Nikon and Canon?

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
70-200 f/4 !?!?!??!

YESSssssSSsssssSSssssss......... +sSSssSSsssSSS.

I wonder if this is an adaptation of the Tokina 70-200 f/4 or a fresh formula?

Either way, THESE are the lenses K mount also needs (beyond fast primes).
02-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #104
Veteran Member

It is not like we do not have plenty of lenses available in these focal lengths. The FA* 85 f1.4, for instance, is wonderful although expensive. The FA 77 ltd is almost as good, much less expensive and easily found in Pentax dealers. The impatience if for fast focusing, silent lenses. But Pentaxians continue to make outstanding photos with the legacy lenses every day. Just check the lens club section. I am looking forward to the new 85 but I will continue to enjoy my FA*85 while I wait. I love using Pentax equipment which is why I sold all my Sony FF equipment over the past year. The Sony stuff (I had all of the GM lenses except the 16-30 as well as the A9 and A7RIII) was excellent but not as fun as my Pentax gear. A very personal choice but no regrets.
I agree that the FA 85 is excellent. I've never used one, but the images speak for themselves. I would think that the main issue with the 77 limited would be with focus noise for shooting events etc. It also provides great images.

It was interesting hearing your thoughts on the Sony gear. I just got my first Pentax and it definitely feels like more of a "photographers" camera. Sony gear is very cutting edge when it comes to technology, but their gear feels very "techie." I do love the image quality though and size, so it works for me. It's nice that there are so many nice options these days and that we all have an opportunity to choose what suits us.
02-27-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

One thing we are seeing here is more clarity on the road map. In the past lenses were listed as 2018 or later and the focal lengths and apertures were only vaguely defined until release. We have repeatedly asked for more clarity on future plans, and they seem to be giving us exactly that.