Show Printable Version 273 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #136
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Not if they want to label it with a *
My guess is that the project doesn't use a more junior designer, it's their top dog Saori, who will do both, and he has to see the 50mm through first.

It will be a template for the 85, 35 and any others in the series, not just in design, but in the manufacturing processes (which according to one theory will involve re-establishing communications with Tokina).

The guy who posted he'd tried the 50 in Vegas was impressed, FWIW.

02-28-2018, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
70-200/4 - I think it will be Tokina AT-X PRO SD 70-200mm F4.0 (IF)

Very good lens, by the way - with the sharpness and IQ of prime.
Tokina 70-200mm Review

There is no sharper telephoto zoom made. You can pay more, but no telephoto zoom is sharper. This Tokina is as sharp as the state-of-the-art Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VR and Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II, and sharper than Nikon's older teles.
There would be a certain logic to this - if they have licenced the new 50 f/1.4 to Tokina, as is speculated, this could be some sort of quid pro quo deal.

As I think about it, I sort of hope that the new Tokina 50 Opera is effectively a rebadged Pentax - it would let Canikon users see just how good Pentax optics are, even if we lose exclusivity in the process - but reputation enhancement is probably more important right now
02-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
There would be a certain logic to this - if they have licenced the new 50 f/1.4 to Tokina, as is speculated, this could be some sort of quid pro quo deal.

As I think about it, I sort of hope that the new Tokina 50 Opera is effectively a rebadged Pentax - it would let Canikon users see just how good Pentax optics are, even if we lose exclusivity in the process - but reputation enhancement is probably more important right now
Yes for all we know pentax may be making the opera 50/1.4 lens for Tokina to sell to Nikon and canon users, while Tokina make the new 50-200/4 for us. It would make a lot of sense from the tooling side of things, that’s for sure.
02-28-2018, 01:57 AM   #139
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I've checked reviews of Tokina 70-200/4 and verdict is very positive.
(in Russian too - see photos from this Tokina - ????? Tokina AT-X PRO FX SD 70-200 f/4 VCM-S | ???????? but Nikon colours)

02-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #140
Veteran Member

I've checked reviews of Tokina 70-200/4 and verdict is very positive.
(in Russian too - see photos from this Tokina - ????? Tokina AT-X PRO FX SD 70-200 f/4 VCM-S | ???????? but Nikon colours)
Seems like a nice lens Sharpness and bokeh looks good.
but the colors...
02-28-2018, 02:55 AM   #141
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I sort of hope that the new Tokina 50 Opera is effectively a rebadged Pentax - it would let Canikon users see just how good Pentax optics are
Asahi Man seems to have suggested this.
02-28-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #142
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Seems like a nice lens Sharpness and bokeh looks good.
but the colors...
It's NIKON

02-28-2018, 03:15 AM   #143

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Be sure that I will make them stuff the 70-200 a place where the sun doesn't shine!
No need for that. Just give it to me and I can keep it in my cellar (when not in use).
02-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #144
Veteran Member

It's NIKON

...and that's why I never wanna go there!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
02-28-2018, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #145
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
...and that's why I never wanna go there!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
There is good word to explain such thing -
Eyesore
02-28-2018, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think those waiting for the FA limiteds to get a refresh need to move on. Their reputation is firmly established, by both their qualities and imperfections. They are finished products from an otherwise extinct line. I think we should all be thankful that they still available new.

The DFA series is all about uncompromising image quality in an era obsessed with sharpness wide open and minimal distortion or aberration. There is enough legacy glass floating around for those of us who like pixie dust.

The roadmap looks fine, although (like all of us) I'd like to see it fulfilled a little quicker.
I like the FA limiteds and would like to see them given a refresh at some point -- add sealing, quick shift and HD coatings. I think that sort of a project should be reserved for when Pentax has a more complete full frame lens line up done. It really wouldn't change the quality a whole lot and it would tie up resources that hopefully are being used right now to create new (very high quality) lenses.

Every brand needs f1.8 primes as well as f1.4 primes and those can be the FA limiteds from Pentax's standpoint.

I still don't see why everyone keeps saying things about rebranding Tokina or Tamron lenses. I wouldn't have a big problem with it, but if Pentax was planning with doing that, why would they wait till 2019 to release the lenses? Just tell Tamron or Tokina what you want and how much and go. It is pretty clear they are creating their own lens designs. They may license them to Tokina, but not the reverse.
02-28-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I still don't see why everyone keeps saying things about rebranding Tokina or Tamron lenses.
Because they want to diminish Pentax' achievements.
02-28-2018, 04:15 AM   #148

About the 70-200: does f4 vs f2.8 means mandatory (as in laws of physics) worse IQ, or is that just a design decision (as in f2.8 is for pros, so f4 doesn't need to be good just cheap)?
Can't a "slow" lens have "pro" IQ, while being smaller, and (hopefully) cheaper?
02-28-2018, 04:17 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is good word to explain such thing -
Eyesore
Or, in Nikon advertising style: I AM, I SAW.
02-28-2018, 04:21 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
About the 70-200: does f4 vs f2.8 means mandatory (as in laws of physics) worse IQ, or is that just a design decision (as in f2.8 is for pros, so f4 doesn't need to be good just cheap)?
Can't a "slow" lens have "pro" IQ, while being smaller, and (hopefully) cheaper?
Of course an f/4 lens can be very good optically and in every other regard (just like there's no guarantee an f/2.8 zoom would be excellent). The limiting factor is usually the price, those lenses are expected at a lower price target.