Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Its THE normal focal length, so bringing a modern, first class optical construction design with faster AF is a key role for the lens lineup.
Normal lens - Wikipedia
Also the key factor for street/portrait/landscape is the photographer, his eye and his vision. I can do landscape, street and architecture with 300mm, wildlife on occasion with 31mm and Portraits with 50mm. My D FA 100mm has been used on the K-5 for 2/3 of my pictures.

It's like guessing the D FA 70-200 optical design comes from Tamron/Tokina, but this at least makes sense because of the usual one-year waiting time to label it as Pentax.
Tokina has discontinued its 70-200/4 so it likely they are doing some upgrades. Obviously a pentax version would be made without is/vr and we have seen corner iq improvement in the tamron made lenses as a result. Of course it may be a new optical design as pentax has a history of great telezoom optics, unlike wide angle zooms where tokina has its strength.

03-01-2018, 05:23 PM - 3 Likes   #287
Pentaxian

I don't know if this has been shared already...
what the black tape was hidding

tweeted @ fujiyacamera

03-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #288
mee
Veteran Member

Re: Does Ricoh have a coherent product strategy for Pentax?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review Asahiman showing off what looks to be a new roadmap with "GR III (New) Sep." on it.

also says

"
The new roadmaps are very investing ,so Ricoh have absolutely a strategy for and with Pentax I think
Also a strategy for some old * lenses of the APS-C line.
Some will get new motor drives."
03-01-2018, 05:52 PM - 3 Likes   #289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Do you really think the brand can survive without any pros want to use it? I think you are the wrong one here!

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 11:22 PM ----------

Dont think my emails and phone numbers in the system is for the public. But I always try to forward stuff when I talk with anyone.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 11:24 PM ----------

Yes I'm sure!

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 11:25 PM ----------

I said be taken serious like the big boys, not by the big boys. A bit difference there
Don’t forget we’re asking them to complete 20 years of deferred development, in a non-static market, with a small, young but extremely talented and motivated team. And catch up NOW, not tomorrow. There are no magic wands. What Pentax have to do is somehow convince a core group of leaders to commit, knowing the FULL payoff (catalog, accessories, support, clear differentiating attributes) might be ten years out.

Kenspo, you have first-mover advantage. So often you tell us how bright the future is. An f/4 zoom now is a business decision, even if it lengthens your time horizon.

03-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #290
naward001

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 50 is not an ideal lens for anything, but it is a competent focal length for a lot of things.
Exactly. You can do so much with a 50mm provided that you're at least a decent photographer.

I'm happy with having a 50mm mounted most of the time. I'm not interested in extreme focal lengths so 35/50/85 will cover 95% of my needs, but I expect them to be top-notch. The quality of the two 50/1.4 images released with the K-1 Mark II announcement, and the prospect of a March/April release, is kind of the only thing keeping me with the brand right now. I'm all for supporting Pentax's progress but they definitely aren't making it easy.
03-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

I said be taken serious like the big boys, not by the big boys. A bit difference there
It makes no difference. That boat sailed in around 1971. It doesn't really matter what Pentax does, it isn't going to be taken seriously, either like or by the big boys.
03-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if I believe that the 11-18 is a rebadge. If for no other reason, it got the star designation, and that just seems beyond the pale.

03-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by naward001 Quote
but I expect them to be top-notch
Why? What is it you shoot that require top notch glass?

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm not sure if I believe that the 11-18 is a rebadge. If for no other reason, it got the star designation, and that just seems beyond the pale.
But, not everyone buys a UWA, using a Tokina design would help divide up development costs. So, maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesn't.

At this point, if I were them i'd be looking for joint designs with anyone willing to share.

Last edited by normhead; 03-01-2018 at 07:11 PM.
03-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Rules were meant to be broken. Last ultrawide pentax zoom was the FAJ 18-35, while tokina almost specializes in wide angles.
Obviously this is not a rebadge but a design given to ricoh that they didn't use themselves. It's made by pentax.
03-01-2018, 07:15 PM - 3 Likes   #295
naward001

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why? What is it you shoot that require top notch glass?
Why? Because I put a lot of work into my images and I'm not doing so just to have flawed glass negatively affect my work. I'm not made of money though so I look for compromise where I can.

What am I shooting? Mostly things which would fall into the architecture category, but not squarely. A lot of stark geometry for sure, I do a fair bit of panoramic stitching and focus stacking so edge performance is critical for me.

And I do large prints pretty often that go into gallery settings. So the reasonable viewing distance argument doesn't really work because, like it or not, people are sticking their noses in the prints to scrutinize quality. I'm guilty of it myself, I enjoy well-made photographs that are nicely printed.
03-01-2018, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #296
Pentaxian

Why? Because I put a lot of work into my images and I'm not doing so just to have flawed glass negatively affect my work. I'm not made of money though so I look for compromise where I can.

What am I shooting? Mostly things which would fall into the architecture category, but not squarely. A lot of stark geometry for sure, I do a fair bit of panoramic stitching and focus stacking so edge performance is critical for me.

And I do large prints pretty often that go into gallery settings. So the reasonable viewing distance argument doesn't really work because, like it or not, people are sticking their noses in the prints to scrutinize quality. I'm guilty of it myself, I enjoy well-made photographs that are nicely printed.
Good answer.
I think you ticked every box.
03-01-2018, 07:27 PM - 3 Likes   #297
naward001

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Good answer.
I think you ticked every box.
It would be nice if more people here would clearly express a reason for their needs and wants, usually I just a see a lot of noise though.

I'm not expecting Pentax to be Phase One or something, but given the quality of their recent cameras for their respective price-points I have a lot of admiration for how Ricoh is allowing the brand to develop. I'm happy to save as much money as I can and Pentax is offering camera performance right now that is pretty exceptional, I just want to see them deliver on lenses to match.
03-01-2018, 07:34 PM - 4 Likes   #298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Rules were meant to be broken. Last ultrawide pentax zoom was the FAJ 18-35, while tokina almost specializes in wide angles.
Obviously this is not a rebadge but a design given to ricoh that they didn't use themselves. It's made by pentax.
Please cite Tokina Patent references supporting your supposition and business logic behind Tokina’s decision to ‘give’ the design to Pentax.

Otherwise this is disruptive misinformation of the most malicious, disparaging kind.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-01-2018 at 09:08 PM.
03-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I think it depends on how we define the "vast majority." I would say that it's true that a lot of photographers will just buy a cheap camera and kit lens and be done with it, but there are a lot of users that are taking things more seriously and will at least have a cheap 50mm f/1.8 in the bag. It doesn't take long with a slow kit zoom to desire something else, at least that was my experience. I've owned one kit lens and that was 8 years ago...
I believe the landscape is changing - and Pentax is near the forefront. The K-70, KP, and now the K-1ii are making higher ISO a reasonable strategy to handle lower light. Apart from subject isolation, "slow zoom" lenses may be just fine. The PF itself has very good things to say about the 55-300mm f/4-5.8 now on sale; I believe lenses like that are going to be the workhorses in future years,

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
at that time ( film era ) a zoom was a compromise allowing one to cover multiple focal lengths at a cheaper cost than the equivalent number of primes imho
I've learned over time that there is more than cost savings in a zoom. A prime lens chains perspective and framing together. All those years I was using a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 as my primary lens, my perspective was dictated by my framing, or vise versa. When I switched to a Canon camera that was kitted with a 28-80mm lens, I slowly came to understand that I could pick my perspective, and then select a focal length to get the framing I wanted - that was so freeing!! By the time I came back to Pentax, it seemed like everyone was kitting zoom lenses like that with their cameras.
03-01-2018, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #300
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be nice if more people here would clearly express a reason for their needs and wants, usually I just a see a lot of noise though.

I'm not expecting Pentax to be Phase One or something, but given the quality of their recent cameras for their respective price-points I have a lot of admiration for how Ricoh is allowing the brand to develop. I'm happy to save as much money as I can and Pentax is offering camera performance right now that is pretty exceptional, I just want to see them deliver on lenses to match.
Is it not enough to want the best glass possible? The whole “you can get a perfectly decent picture with lenses designed two generations ago” mantra is both tiresome and misses the point.
Some of us want the best glass for the sake of having the best glass. For me, if it improves my pictures, that is a bonus, nothing more.