Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a clanger alright. Someone in marketing needs a kick in the pants.

02-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #17

What's the big deal? Marketing hype for as long as I've lived has used "New and Improved" when 99% of the time the only thing new and improved was slightly different packaging. Maybe once in a while a gaff like the "New Coke". No sense in getting outraged over a turn of phrase.
02-28-2018, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What's the big deal? Marketing hype for as long as I've lived has used "New and Improved" when 99% of the time the only thing new and improved was slightly different packaging. Maybe once in a while a gaff like the "New Coke". No sense in getting outraged over a turn of phrase.
The problem being that what they're claiming is new is not new. There are new things in the mark II version of this camera, but the screen is not one of them. "New and Improved" works with your laundry detergent, no body really knows if something's changed, but we're familiar with this screen. I've been staring at it nearly every day for nearly 2 years.
It's either a desperate lie or it's a marketing screw up. I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
02-28-2018, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It opens them up for ridicule.

I would rather that be avoided.

03-01-2018, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #20

According to Adam (from the K-1 ii models available at WPPI conference show in Las Vegas) the screen mechanism is the same. So this is likely bogus otherwise this would have been mentioned in the press releases for the K-1 ii). So likely you're all getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. But of course it was posted on social media so it has to be true.

Visited the Ricoh booth today at the WPPI convention here in Vegas - PentaxForums.com

Edit: From the K-1ii product site pages on Ricoh's website:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1-2/

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-01-2018 at 12:46 AM.
03-01-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It opens them up for ridicule.
Exactly. It makes the whole brand look silly in the eyes of people who are at least a little knowledgeable. I don't mind, this marketing fail won't affect my buying decisions. But for a lot of people considering Pentax, seeing bad websites, brochures with mistakes, poor translations... can be enough to push them towards a brand that "appears" to have their things in order.
It comes down to trustworthiness and competence.
03-01-2018, 05:18 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dude. Chillax. It’s the Feelz.

03-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dude. Chillax. It’s the Feelz.

I'm all for the Feelz, and the feelin' is GOOD.
I just wish they could get their marketing s**t together.
03-01-2018, 05:27 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I'm all for the Feelz, and the feelin' is GOOD.
I just wish they could get their marketing s**t together.
Stop being such a judger. Millenials are troubled by such cultural micro-aggressive biases as getting facts right and making accurate statements. Truth is relative. To the writer the screen may very well be newly-designed*, and that’s the only thing that matters.

* The screen was newly-designed for the K-1 >> The camera is an identical K-1 body with a different motherboard >> Ergo the screen is still newly-designed. There is some logic in the progression. We just think the K-1ll is a new product because there’s a reveal party.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-01-2018 at 10:09 AM.
03-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well there you go. I stand corrected
03-01-2018, 05:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Agreed with monochrome.
It's more a problem of messenger-target group.
Of course for anyone heavily engaged in pentaxforums etc. this is not a new screen an those people have compared every single detaul of the K-1 and the MkII. If you read this facebook posting, which is intended to reach and inform a very broad public then this is a new design of a LCD screen on DSLRs, first introduced with the K-1 and kept in this model. I would assume for interested readers, coming from different brands (<assumed target group?) this holds true.
Well, maybe not anymore after all those nice smart-assy (can this be used in a non offensive way?) comments it might have got a wrong spin now.
03-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Most complaints on the Internet, I've found, makes no actual sense - they're just nitpicking on a preconceived line (that "Pentax folks are incompetents" or so).
Folks, sorry but this is no exception. I thought about it a little... yes, it looks like a small mistake - but then I realized, is it really? And with the gentle push of monochrome's post...

The back LCD is one of the immediately distinctive features of the K-1 cameras. Not to market it would've been a mistake - note, this marketing is not exclusively aimed at K-1 users. How do you do that, by saying "we're still using the old Flexible Tilt LCD, move on, nothing to see here"?
Marketing exclusively the improvements over the K-1 would've made for a very much incomplete material; people unfamiliar with the K-1 wouldn't know what the K-1 II is about.
And yes, monochrome's explanation that it's the exact same body with a new mainboard and software - a continuation of the K-1 - makes sense for me.
03-01-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
This one apparently includes deadly gamma-ray bursts to help illuminate the scene when high ISO is required.
Haha almost spit my drink all over my computer!

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, very reminiscent of Giant Woman promoting the K-S1:
And her finger is covering the front of the lens!!
03-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Complaining about one or two mis-spellings is nice to inform them but all you have to do is look, (especially online,) at the use of homophones by native English speakers such as theirs, there's, there, their, as well as people who use loose for lose.
This problem is not limited to non-native speakers of English. It has lately become rampant among obvious native speakers of English, and not just in social media. The person who wrote that marketing copy could easily be a native English speaker. I guess spelling and grammar are not important components of school curricula in the English-speaking world any more, at least not in North America.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 03-01-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: omission
03-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
This problem is not limited to non-native speakers of English. It has lately become rampant among obvious native speakers of English, and not just in social media. The person who wrote that marketing copy could easily be a native English speaker. I guess spelling and grammar not important components of school curricula in the English-speaking world any more, at least not in North America.
Yes I was referring to the desire of many online native English speakers to cause my grammar policeman to come out with a nightstick and clout them on the head.
My Korean teachers knew more English grammar than anyone short of my English class college professors but still had some troubles with sentence construction and verbiage. Most Eastern Asian languages are formed in Subject, Object, Verb format while English is pretty much Subject, Object, Verb. Big difference in how your brain sets the wiring inside when you are a child learning to speak.