Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"PENTAX K-1 II with a newly designed Cross Tilt Flexible LCD Monitor"...wait, what?

Ricoh Imaging published this on their facebook half an hour ago. I asked them how it differs from the LCD monitor on the K-1. They've yet to respond...

Attached Images

02-28-2018, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

At an age of 2, I was "new" myself. I guess it's the same with this monitor
02-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
how it differs from the LCD monitor on the K-1
I can't see any difference - and frankly it would be an odd change to make - a lot of cost for little benefit - a mistake, I think
02-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
1st I don't think this is true.

If it was, why would't they have announced that with the original press release? Why wouldn't they state that on the K-1 II website, and how would this factor into the K-1 upgrade?

Seems more likely that somebody in Ricoh's social media marketing team needs to be fired.

02-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, weird "marketing". It was probably newly designed back when the original K-1 was made. Once again we see the advertisers, marketers know absolutely nothing about the product they are selling

Edit: And if it turns out we are wrong and the K-1II actually has a different LCD and LCD mount... well, I'll be happy to retract my indictments
02-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

They know how to use copy-paste though
Anyway... should we even care? It's not like they're lying about the product's capabilities.
02-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, as @Kunzite suggests, we should ask ourselves at what point after its design or creation does something cease to be 'new'? A month? two months? Two years?

02-28-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can someone reasonably explain why Ricoh NA employs marketing people who apparently don't understand their own products?
And is there not one person in Ricoh NA who can properly translate the materials they seem to get from Japan?

The Pentax brand and products deserve a much better messenger.
02-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All they had to was delete “Neal-designed” from the copy. I noted the email address in the Press Release was incorrect (misspelled ‘contact’ and emailed them. No response, but it didn’t bounce when I guessed the address. They’re just too thinly staffed in North America.
02-28-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ad doesn't say "new to the K-1MII". It just says "comes with a newly designed......". The LCD mount is relatively new since it was introduced on the K-1 not that long ago. I could see this as a valid boasting point for the K-1MII, considering there may be some who haven't taken a look at the K-1 before. Granted, the wording is a bit misleading but heck, this is the sales department.
02-28-2018, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Here is a fact about learning English as a second language when you are a speaker of a non Latin rooted language. The fact is that due to strange rules that are never consistent, English is probably the most difficult to learn well if you do not grow up learning and speaking it consistently. This is especially true for Japanese native speakers due to the different sounds used in each.

Complaining about one or two mis-spellings is nice to inform them but all you have to do is look, (especially online,) at the use of homophones by native English speakers such as theirs, there's, there, their, as well as people who use loose for lose. If you aren't fluent in a difficult language like Japanese, Chinese or Korean, you may not have much room to talk. I spent 16 years learning and working on my Korean as part of my full time job and I am extremely far from competence in the language, forget about fluency.

BTW: Ricoh doesn't pay a whole lot to their marketing folks as per Glassdoor.com so who knows what their situation for proof reading Facebook posts and tweets is.
02-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

They've even re-released the press release of the K1. Sounds odd but it somehow still works to catch attention.
02-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

Great! That means the price of the K1 will go down for the rest of us peasants to afford. Haha.
02-28-2018, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

This one apparently includes deadly gamma-ray bursts to help illuminate the scene when high ISO is required.
02-28-2018, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
This one apparently includes deadly gamma-ray bursts to help illuminate the scene when high ISO is required.
Yes, very reminiscent of Giant Woman promoting the K-S1: