Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 06:27 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Visited the Ricoh booth today at the WPPI convention here in Vegas

Hey folks I knew about the showhere in Vegas way ahead of time, however I knew I wouldn't make it because of my work hours at my last job. however as luck would have it I got hired (in a way higher paying job) with a company that sent me out to the Mandalay Bay for some construction work. by now I have forgotten about the photo convention. however, this morning I was using a scissor lift and as I as going up I turned around and right before my eyes was the convention on the other side of the wall!
I then found out I can use my construction badge to get in the show after work, and as luck would have it, I got off at 1:30! So basically I had just an hour and a half to take it all in.
I headed straight for the Ricoh booth and checked it out.
I got to handle the K1 MKII, talk about excited! seeing as I only have a K5 all these years. it didn't take me long to find my way around all the functions seeing as it is a Pentax and they have always been easy for me to figure out. this Camera looks to be a rather functional piece of equipment I know for certain that I will be saving up for the K1 when folks in here start dumping theirs for the next shiny thing. it's all I really need, I dont have to have all the MKII upgrades.

Speaking of upgrades.....I also found out from one of the reps that Ricoh will also be offering current K1 owners the option of sending in their cameras, and they will upgrade them with the components that are in the new MKII, the cost will be around $500, that's something to consider for you K1 owners.

I also checked out the new 50mm lens that is just being released, that one is a nice chunk of glass.

I got to also check out a Zoom lens that I have been "Jonesing" over, the DFA 150mm~450mm, now I know for sure I will be saving up for that lens, that thing is awesome.

One other thing to mention is the 70~210 f2.8........sweet lens there!

02-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you take some photos with the DFA*50 and get an impression of rendering and AF speed? Obviously your not allowed to keep them yet.
02-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

Does the K-1 ii have a different articulating screen than the K-1?
02-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stating the obvious here, but that new DFA 50mm 1.4 lens looks massive! Did you feel comfortable handholding it on the K1ii?

02-28-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Did you take some photos with the DFA*50 and get an impression of rendering and AF speed? Obviously your not allowed to keep them yet.
No I didn't take any pics, I didn't have my camera with me, I'm a construction worker and didn't know I was going to be near that show, if I knew, then I for sure would have had my K5 on me to test these lenses out on

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 07:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't know if it was different, there was not an original K1 there to compare it to, and this is the first time i ever even touched a K1

---------- Post added 02-28-18 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Stating the obvious here, but that new DFA 50mm 1.4 lens looks massive! Did you feel comfortable handholding it on the K1ii?
It was a bit large but it felt perfect mounted on the K1
02-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
. . . One other thing to mention is the 70~210 f2.8........sweet lens there! . . .
thanks for the report but

did you mean the existing d fa * 70-200mm f2.8 ???

or the 70-200mm F4 that is suppose to be coming

when you wrote 70-210 f2.8
02-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo of the 70-200 appears to be the current f2.8

Attached Images

02-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
No

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2018, 04:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No
Funny, because on Facebook Ricoh Imaging announced:

"The all new PENTAX K-1 Mark II comes with a newly designed Cross Tilt Flexible LCD Monitor. This newly designed 3.2 inch cross tilt flexible LCD monitor was especially designed without deviating from the lens’s optical axis."

Half the commenters pointed out that the screen is the same as in the K-1 and how Ricoh's marketing is a mess, the other half speculated on whether they changed the alignment of the screen a tiny bit.
03-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
thanks for the report but

did you mean the existing d fa * 70-200mm f2.8 ???

or the 70-200mm F4 that is suppose to be coming

when you wrote 70-210 f2.8
I think it is the existing one
03-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is the existing one
I agree with your opinion

both of the zooms you mention are very nice lenses

if you don't mind an " experienced " lens, keep checking the market place

that is where I found my experienced " like new " d fa * 70-200mm f2.8

and I also was lucky enough to find an experienced " like new " d fa 150-400mm but that was not from the market place
03-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New imaging device?

Thanks to the OP for the report from WPPI. Always interesting to read about these shows.

In addition to the "newly designed" LCD monitor reported in the Facebook post, Ricoh is introducing a new "CMOS Censor" as seen at the bottom of the K-1 II brochure in @BirdDude007 's fourth image. I would guess that this revolutionary device uses artificial intelligence to decide which of your images should be suppressed before storing on the SD card.

I'm thinking that a typo is a relatively small issue compared to the significance of the new camera and lenses, but sheesh - who proofreads this stuff?
03-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
. . .I'm thinking that a typo is a relatively small issue compared to the significance of the new camera and lenses, but sheesh - who proofreads this stuff?
personally I agree with not worrying about typas

but I just wanted to know if there was a new lens I didn't know about
03-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with your opinion

both of the zooms you mention are very nice lenses

if you don't mind an " experienced " lens, keep checking the market place

that is where I found my experienced " like new " d fa * 70-200mm f2.8

and I also was lucky enough to find an experienced " like new " d fa 150-400mm but that was not from the market place
I usually make it a habit to buy "experienced" equipment. when it comes to Camera gear I usually never buy a new item, I normally wait until the newest shiny gadget pops up, and just lay in wait for when folks jump on that bandwagon and drop their existing gear for a lot less
$$$.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 05:16 PM ----------

personally I agree with not worrying about typas

but I just wanted to know if there was a new lens I didn't know about
most of the lenses and equipment there was "new " to me lol, I was just happy to get a chance to be there.
while I was there I got to looking around and one brand is starting to really impress me, and that is Fujifilm products, I am a diehard Pentaxian, but Fujifilm is really starting to shine
03-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

While I was there I got to looking around and one brand is starting to really impress me, and that is Fujifilm products, I am a diehard Pentaxian, but Fujifilm is really starting to shine

Fuji X cameras/lenses are ergonomic and light/small.

I use Fuji when I need to go small/light - especially for HDR shots (nobody can do HDR like Fuji can). But, if you shoot RAW files, there's no doubt in my mind that Pentax RAW files are much better than Fuji Xtrans RAW files. My recommendation is to stick with Pentax for their great RAW files and their full frame format availability.