Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope i can use the existing GR accessories (hood, wide lens) on the new gr. I agree with the WR and hopefully we get the KP sensor, incl. pixelshift. A mini video improvement would be also welcome 😀

03-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Yes, it should have WR, especially dust seal .
But after buying K1, I think that a thin folding screen would be very good in low position and for street photography.
And i do not say no to a KP sensor for 35 and 50mm crop.
Pentax had done a nice job on the tilt screen for their MX-1 digital. It was simple, functional and didn't seem to add to the size of the camera.

I would like to see them make the entire raised area on the back of the GRII the LCD screen is set in become one large OLED touch screen with curved edges. That would give a 3.5" screen. The curved edge could display all the camera settings that the user can customize. As a touch screen it opens up the ability to move the focus point. Even focus peeping becomes a simple finger gesture.

Something else that should be interesting in the future and which has been suggested in the past is the screen should detach from the camera entirely. Now the screen becomes a full control smart remote for the camera at any time by snapping into a WR battery grip.
03-09-2018, 08:27 AM - 3 Likes   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The GR’s raison d’eitre are in no particular order,
1. That amazingly sharp sweet lens,
2. Infinitely Customizable controls
3. Wonderful JPEG engine
4. Deceptively perfect ergonomics

All in a pocketable size.

It’s almost hard to improve on such a product, it’s too easy to love. (Even specks of dust do. ��)
03-10-2018, 02:08 PM - 3 Likes   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A new 24mp sensor in the gr with the noise reduction chip and stabilisation capable of pixelshift resolution would be great.
what you say

03-10-2018, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That would no longer be a GR.
Compare camera dimensions side by side (and the Sony doesn't have the viewfinder)
That's just not accurate.
It would absolutely be in a GR *series* camera. All film-era GRs had viewfinders. Simple as that. And full-frame would be film equivalent. If they could pull of those two things and add phase-detection back to the AF system, whilst still maintaining everything they've accomplished with the digital GR cameras, both APSC and smaller era.... well....
I'd lose my mind and buy three.
03-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #66
ogl
Banned

For 28 mm lens - is SR really necessary? Better to offer EVF as option like on GXR.
03-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #67
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A new 24mp sensor in the gr with the noise reduction chip and stabilisation capable of pixelshift resolution would be great.
Noise reduction chip and SR are conflicting views

Do you really need SR for 28 mm lens when you have the acceleration unit which help to use higher ISO ?

The reasonable limit of exposure for 28 mm lens is 1/30.
No need SR at all. Just raise ISO a bit. SR = additional weight and additional mechanical parts of camera.

You can shoot in heavy cloudy weather with f8 at 1/30 with ISO100. You can easy use f2.8 of GR at ISO200 and 1/30 in the twilight.

Last edited by ogl; 03-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.
03-11-2018, 02:19 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's just not accurate.
It would absolutely be in a GR *series* camera. All film-era GRs had viewfinders. Simple as that. And full-frame would be film equivalent. If they could pull of those two things and add phase-detection back to the AF system, whilst still maintaining everything they've accomplished with the digital GR cameras, both APSC and smaller era.... well....
I'd lose my mind and buy three.
Digital is not film.
The viewfinder was necessary, as there was no live view - how else would you frame your picture? And what you call now "full frame" was the ubiquitous small format.

The GR is an affordable, compact, fixed prime lens camera.
03-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Explain that to K-1 II users.

The SR mentioned here is, IMO, a minimal SR. Just the little pixel displacement needed to pixel shift.
03-11-2018, 03:21 AM   #70
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Explain that to K-1 II users.

The SR mentioned here is, IMO, a minimal SR. Just the little pixel displacement needed to pixel shift.
Easy. GR and K-1II are absolutely different photo philosophy. GR is small pocketable camera for travel and every day use with fixed wide-angle lens. SR for GR is like fifth wheel for car.

Last edited by ogl; 03-11-2018 at 04:12 AM.
03-11-2018, 04:25 AM   #71
Pentaxian

I agree with ogl.
I doubt the form factor could be retained while using a sensor with movement/SR.
And I don't think it would add so much to the GR-concept. High ISO quality enhancements would.
03-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SR does not seem so necessary especially as it probably means a new and larger body, the electromagnetic SR system requires some space.
I do not see a need for an EVF, GR already has an OVF.
But I want an tiltable screen, although the GR body needs to be redone and get a bit thicker (still smaller than Fuji X100).
14 bit RAW or 24Mp that provides higher resolution in crop mode would be good.
GPS would be good, but no, a bigger body.
But Ricoh is probably finished with the GRIII.
03-11-2018, 04:29 AM   #73
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you really need SR for 28 mm lens when you have the acceleration unit which help to use higher ISO ?

The reasonable limit of exposure for 28 mm lens is 1/30.
No need SR at all. Just raise ISO a bit. SR = additional weight and additional mechanical parts of camera.

You can shoot in heavy cloudy weather with f8 at 1/30 with ISO100. You can easy use f2.8 of GR at ISO200 and 1/30 in the twilight.
Not really conflicting, I think, just for different use.

When shooting e.g. street you might want a high shutter speed at f/5.6 and will need to raise the ISO quite a bit. On the other hand, if you want to shoot e.g. flowing water you might want as slow shutter speed as you can get (the GR even has an in-built ND filter, remember). I usually hav no problems getting sharp images at 1/8th hand-held with the GR, but SR would certainly make it easier to get those shots. Not at all essential, but I wouldn't mind - if they can fit it in the same small package.

Of course, the real answer to the last use case is to bring a tripod, but we're not all perfect
03-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The reasonable limit of exposure for 28 mm lens is 1/30. No need SR
I'd agree with that. Also, effectiveness of sensor SR isn't at its best at very low shutter speed (for instance 1 sec.), the value of SR drop as shutter speeds get slower than something like 1/4th sec.
03-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #75
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
14 bit RAW or 24Mp that provides higher resolution in crop mode would be good.

But Ricoh is probably finished with the GRIII.
WR + 24 MP with 14 Bbit RAW + acceleration unit + (EVF just like an option) = enough for me.

As I understand from Japanese GR facebook, GRIII is already finished in development and it has 24 MP.
It's my guess, of course.