Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #121
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well that is not much to run on. So it will come.......

They said Q is a current camera.
The GXR stayed as a current camera for years, even if it was gone.

A green light in the sense Kunzite used it means, there is a green light to start production and plan sales. That is not the case. There is a green light to test the waters to see if there is a market for such a camera. Nothing more.

05-01-2018, 10:48 AM - 3 Likes   #122
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

A green light in the sense Kunzite used it means, there is a green light to start production and plan sales. That is not the case. There is a green light to test the waters to see if there is a market for such a camera. Nothing more.
I don't know why you're putting yourself against Kunzite, who has longstanding credibility and reputation, or the executive who said the product will come.

Any company may alter its future releases, but the guy said that's the plan. You didn't know that now you do. Aren't you glad you logged in and learned something?

Last edited by clackers; 05-01-2018 at 02:08 PM.
05-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Indeed, I was referring to Mr. Takashi Arai saying that a new GR will come.

That poster has a history... and now he's insulting me - accusing me of lying, of all things?
05-01-2018, 11:22 AM - 2 Likes   #124
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks, please note that personal attacks and inflammatory posts towards members won't be tolerated, and will result in warnings, infractions and/or thread bans (as in this case).

05-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A green light in the sense Kunzite used it means, there is a green light to start production and plan sales.
No, it doesn't mean that. Starting production is the last thing you'd do (bar shipping and selling); that's the worst (costliest) moment to decide if to "green light" the product.

The green light - approval of the product - is obviously something done much earlier in the development phase; I won't say right at the beginning because there might be prototyping and such. But it takes the form of, "we'll make this (idea, prototype...) into a product".

Just to make sure we're all on the same page.
05-01-2018, 03:56 PM - 5 Likes   #126
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a report about the GR meet event. It looks like around 100 people attended.
?????????????GR????????GR meet???? - ???? Watch

You can dismiss what forum posters say about GR continuation if you like, because they might be misinformed or just making it up. You can also dismiss what Ricoh staff say, because they might be saying things just to keep sales going (but I think they also have a reason to underpromise to keep sales of current models going). What is more difficult to dismiss is the actions Ricoh have taken recently to draw attention to the GR. They have redesigned the online store, restarted the blog and started SNS accounts, held an event, featured the GR at CP+ in a rather mysterious way, and included the GR in the logo of their redesigned stores. They have no reason to do this if they are just going to let it die.

I’m not sure why there is so much concern about it being “late”. The camera has no clear competitors on the market. Two other major competitors tried to muscle in (Nikon A, Fuji X70) but failed because the GR was simply better. In fact, the main competitor to a hypothetical GR III is the the GR II. Ricoh are in no hurry, and are most likely aware that a modest update (swap out the sensor for a 24mp one) will not be enough to make users upgrade. So I think there will be significant changes to the GR when it comes. What makes it more complicated is that a major change to the sensor or optics would require a redesign of many accessories too. In a way, GR is like a mini system of viewfinders, adapters, converter lenses and other items - not so easy to manage inventories and replace all at once.

The GR II is consistently placed around 20-30th on the Kakaku.com sales ranking in Japan. It seems to be a modest but consistent seller. Availability went down to just 30 online stores a couple of months ago, but now it is in stock at about 50 again. I read similar comments about it being in and out of stock in other countries. That makes me think it is selling well enough to justify another production run. It also makes me think a replacement is at least a couple of months away, but basically inevitable.