Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Just because the optical patent was created by Pentax, doesn't mean that Pentax has control of all the copyrights nor do we have full knowledge of their joint development agreement. I don't really care which way or the other, my 50-135mm is one of my favorite lenses, and if Pentax wants to create more DA* quality lenses, they could sign an agreement with the evil Canikon empire for all I care.
Dude. Pentax. Owns. The. Patent. Tokina. Licensed. The. Design.

It doesn’t matter whether Tokina’s license payment was in the form of specific design work, loan of optical engineers, cash payments or some combination of money and service, it is a Pentax lens design, not a Tokina lens design. Just because you won’t accept that doesn’t mean it isn’t so.

03-22-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #137
Veteran Member

Oh, and the Pentax press release with the full specs for the 16-50 and 50-135 *does* specifically say "Optical system for this product was jointly developed and designed with Tokina Co, Ltd.". This is buried in the fine print at the bottom of the page, but here is the page straight from the Pentax web site:

PENTAX NEWS release 2007 : Two new smc PENTAX-DA* ( DA Star ) Zoom Lenses

Read more at: Which Pentax-branded lenses are based on third-party (optical) design? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Again people are confusing optical patents with many different manufacturing patent. It takes more than just an optical design to make a lens. This has been argue ad infinitum around this forum.
03-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #138
Pentaxian

We keep talking about designs and ideas. It would be nice to see a new lens delivered, Pentax.
03-25-2018, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Oh, and the Pentax press release with the full specs for the 16-50 and 50-135 *does* specifically say "Optical system for this product was jointly developed and designed with Tokina Co, Ltd.". This is buried in the fine print at the bottom of the page, but here is the page straight from the Pentax web site:

PENTAX NEWS release 2007 : Two new smc PENTAX-DA* ( DA Star ) Zoom Lenses

Read more at: Which Pentax-branded lenses are based on third-party (optical) design? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Again people are confusing optical patents with many different manufacturing patent. It takes more than just an optical design to make a lens. This has been argue ad infinitum around this forum.
Which does not in any way way modify or contradict my statement directly above.

Co-developed ≠ Designed. It remains a Pentax Patent and a Pentax Design.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-25-2018 at 02:33 PM.
03-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #140
Pentaxian

Out of curiosity, could anyone point me to a list of Tokina lens-related patents? Because I cannot find anything.
Except this: ????????????????????? 2018? - which is utterly empty. The mighty optical design company Kenko-Tokina which supposedly designed all Pentax lenses (including the Tamrons) doesn't seems to have much activity in lens design.
I only found something about their 70-200 and some filter-related patents, but nothing after 2016.