Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Well, I dunno... I thought the WR with the red o-ring on the mount was a better seal than the AW... kinda like spash proof vs/ water resistant vs/ water--proof (of which I don't think any are WP)

To be honest, I really don't take my lenses out in the pouring rain, but I do live in the humid tropics, and get caught in the beginning of a shower or thick heavy wet fog, and sometimes end up in a dusty beach area. I always felt that anything that kept water out would probably help keep out moisture and fungus and dust too... I could be totally wrong, but I like it anyway.
Eric
WR is the basic weather sealing found on Pentax's consumer lenses. AW is the higher-end sealing which also offers dust protection. It's found on star lenses, 645 lenses, and a few others. AW is usually liked to internal zooming or fewer moving parts, so the protection against water ingress is inherently a bit better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2018, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you think about it, I would really hate to be the person in charge of deciding what to do next at Ricoh>Pentax. There is so much work to do. APS-C lenses, APS-C cameras, FF lens, FF cameras, 645 lenses, 645 cameras, GR, Q. And only so many resources, people and capital.

In a few minutes of work I could make a list of projects for Pentax that would take decades to complete. And that with no introduction of anything new, just what needs updated or added to the system as it is now. Truly a daunting task that I suspect many of the "I want it now" posters have no concept of.
Commentary on K-1 ll and product planning by Pentax’s actual production planner and several lead designers and design engineers.

.:
03-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Quote: Next also old DA* lenses with new motor and electronics. Maybe official information September.

That would almost be too good to be true. It would sure make an awful lot of sense, at least for those lenses that are worth the effort (DA*300 and DA*55 being the first I would love to see as Mk II versions).

It would be a powerful signal of Ricoh's commitment to its existing DA* lens line-up. That notorious premature-death SDM debacle, both real and perceived, has cost the Pentax brand dearly, I should think.
03-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

300, 50-135 and 55 just need a new motor. Not sure about coatings, the 55 has aerobright which is probably better than HD. Give them Aerobright II just to be sure.

16-50 and 200 need optical upgrades.

60-250 is probably lowest priority with the 70-200/4 just around the corner.

03-02-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
300, 50-135 and 55 just need a new motor. Not sure about coatings, the 55 has aerobright which is probably better than HD. Give them Aerobright II just to be sure.

16-50 and 200 need optical upgrades.

60-250 is probably lowest priority with the 70-200/4 just around the corner.
And a 400mm f5.6 is really needed if Pentax wants to be taken seriously on the APS-C front. New motors were neccessary all along but lacking, and its great that Ricoh apparently is ready for the kick-off. 400mm was the lens Olympus 4/3 users waited for in vain for years. It would be great if Pentax brings one out, with fast and silent AF motor, together with the existing DA* lenses' motor refreshes. The Canon version is 1.25kg. If it is very high quality, you could couple it with the DA1.4TC and have a very affordable 560mm f8 lens below 1,5 kg

Last edited by Chris Mak; 03-02-2018 at 03:12 PM.
03-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Pentax - Thoughts on making a DA*/DFA 400mm F4? - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The 400mm 4.5 optical design by Jun Hirakawa still waits
US4904070A - Telephoto lens system - Google Patents

An excellent D FA 400mm 4.5 ED DC AW with covered focus ring for secure AF functions without unwanted interfering through contact by hand would be great.
Realistic price seems to be 2800€.
Preisentwicklung für Konica Minolta AF 400mm 4.5 G APO schwarz (2651116) (90 Tage) | heise online Preisvergleich / EU
03-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, I'd be a fan of the DA 35 and DA 50 receiving AF motors (PLM or DC), new coatings and weather sealing - HD DA 50 f/1.8 PLM WR - and a little 24 mm brother (on full frame 35 mm is amongst the most popular focal lengths for reportage).

Sure, some people will note that the low price is the strongest selling point of these lenses (in relation to their high optical performance), and these upgrades would have to make them more expensive, but I don't think so. Pentax endowed the humble standard kit lens with DC and WR without raising the price much, I'm sure they can do it to the 35 and 50.

03-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Well, I'd be a fan of the DA 35 and DA 50 receiving AF motors (PLM or DC), new coatings and weather sealing - HD DA 50 f/1.8 PLM WR - and a little 24 mm brother (on full frame 35 mm is amongst the most popular focal lengths for reportage).
Metal lens mount, QS and WR should be added to the two DA plastic fantastic primes. Internal motor is only needed for higher quality lenses (since the screwdrive is fast) and results in higher price and weight.
Would be good for a Limited version made from aluminium.
03-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
And a 400mm f5.6 is really needed if Pentax wants to be taken seriously on the APS-C front.

This focal length and speed is covered by zooms these days...
03-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And like its longer siblings, the DA24 plastic fantastic needs to ‘accidentally’ cover full frame...

-Eric
03-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Internal motor is only needed for higher quality lenses (since the screwdrive is fast) and results in higher price and weight.
Why? All new Pentax lenses since 2014 have had internal motors, including the DA 18-50 kit, the HD DA 55-300 PLM etc. Neither of these two is particularly pricey or heavy. Pentax can't really demand a much higher price anyway for a feature that has been the absolute norm for every other manufacturer for ... a decade, at least? When did Canon or Nikon release the last screw-drive lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And like its longer siblings, the DA24 plastic fantastic needs to ‘accidentally’ cover full frame...
Naturally Even though I doubt they'd do it if they are planning something similar for full frame - they'd be cannibalising themselves.
03-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm still wishing for an 80-400 or 100-400 APSC. Then, it's just a wish. I hope it'll come true.
03-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Why? All new Pentax lenses since 2014 have had internal motors, including the DA 18-50 kit, the HD DA 55-300 PLM etc.
Pentax can't really demand a much higher price anyway for a feature that has been the absolute norm for every other manufacturer for ... a decade, at least? When did Canon or Nikon release the last screw-drive lens?
HD DA 35&70 Limited did keep the internal gear drive. But compared the the plastic-fantastics they have at least QS.
Canon introduced in-lens-motors with the EOS system in 1987, Nikon with AF-S lenses in 1996 (except for 3 fast tele primes with AF-I starting in 1992) and Pentax in 2007.
Template:Canon EF Mount prime lenses timeline - Wikipedia
Nikon F-mount - Wikipedia
List of Nikon F-mount lenses with integrated autofocus motor - Wikipedia
Template:Pentax K-mount AF lenses timeline - Wikipedia
03-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'm still wishing for an 80-400 or 100-400 APSC. Then, it's just a wish. I hope it'll come true.
The 150-450 must work beautifully, Totsmuyco, have a look at the pictures other members have taken on this forum.

03-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
D FA 150-450 is very nice.
The 5X or 4X zooms could suffer from loss of IQ too much.