Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The 5X or 4X zooms could suffer from loss of IQ too much.
The tamron 18-400 must suffer,but not according to the people who have used it.Shame it wont come in K mount.

03-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Different levels of what is acceptable to individual. Nothing wrong with that.
03-03-2018, 01:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
HD DA 35&70 Limited did keep the internal gear drive.
They were released in 2013
03-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The impression is that Ricoh have taken their time to have a root and branch look at what is wrong with the inherited Pentax offering and are slowly but systematically addressing issues. If that's tye, it's a very good sign for the future.

03-03-2018, 04:19 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
(...) When did Canon or Nikon release the last screw-drive lens?

(...)
As for Canon, the answer is easy: any and all EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses have a built-in focus motor since the introduction of the Electro-Optical System (EOS) in 1987.
03-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The 150-450 must work beautifully, Totsmuyco, have a look at the pictures other members have taken on this forum.
I know that image quality is really good. But, it's too heavy. I'd give up some reach to have something lite. I've seen the Tamron and it's the size and weight I'd like to have.
03-03-2018, 04:41 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I sincerely love my DA*300/4 optically, but the focus speed is a bit... umm... well... you know.

If they do new coatings and KAF4 motor, maybe WR, I'd be in hog heaven, as long as the price isn't insane.
Eric
There is no thing as KAF4 motor. KAF4 is only a change from mechanical controlled aperture from camera, to electronically controlled aperture in the lens. The motor in KAF4 can be of any type (except for screw drive).
Table of Functions by Mount / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

The PLM motor used in the new HD55-300 lens is not possible to use for DA*300 as it has a focusing lens group that is too heavy for that type of motor. Most likely they will use the newly developed ring SDM motor from DFA* 50 (which also is a KAF4 mount lens). I believe this ring SDM motor will be the new standard motor for future star lenses.

03-03-2018, 04:46 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the new 11-18mm not a DC motor? Perhaps DC is the new standard for Zooms
03-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #39
Pentaxian

It's probably just that DA* 11-18 has been in development since before ring SDM. And it's not a type of lens that suffer much from a little slower motor.

But I can imagine that there will be a mk II of DFA* 70-200 with ring SDM motor sometime in the not too distant future. At least if the ring SDM show to be as quick as other brands ring motors.
03-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This focal length and speed [400mm F5.6] is covered by zooms these days...

You could make a similar claim about, say, 15mm F4, but still many Pentaxians love their DA15s for the typical prime qualities they bring to the table. I don't see why telephoto should be markedly different in that regard.

There is a place for both zooms and primes in photography, and I doubt that will change anytime soon.
03-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #41
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Is the new 11-18mm not a DC motor? Perhaps DC is the new standard for Zooms
DC - yes.
03-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
And a 400mm f5.6 is really needed if Pentax wants to be taken seriously on the APS-C front.
This focal length and speed is covered by zooms these days...
The disadvantages of Zooms (much larger, more heavier & expensive, less faster t-stop, slower AF, complicated handling, less moisture proof) can't replace primes, especially at long focal lenghts.
03-03-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The disadvantages of Zooms (much larger, more heavier & expensive, less faster t-stop, slower AF, complicated handling, less moisture proof) can't replace primes, especially at long focal lenghts.
They do. No one is buying 400/5.6 leses anymore. A 400/5.6 will cost more than the 150-450 due to low sales. The Fa 400/5.6 is rare. Nikon doesnt have one.

---------- Post added 03-03-18 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
You could make a similar claim about, say, 15mm F4, but still many Pentaxians love their DA15s for the typical prime qualities they bring to the table. I don't see why telephoto should be markedly different in that regard.

There is a place for both zooms and primes in photography, and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

The 15mm has a significant size advantage over a zoom. A 400mm prime is Just as long as a zoom reaching the same focal length.

A 400/5.6 is as likely as a 200/4 non macro
Njænk B
N^I!B9d
03-03-2018, 08:38 AM   #44
Pentaxian

A DFA*300/4 and a DFA teleconverter though is much more probable IMO.
On top of that, size difference is quite marginal.
03-03-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
There is no thing as KAF4 motor. KAF4 is only a change from mechanical controlled aperture from camera, to electronically controlled aperture in the lens. The motor in KAF4 can be of any type (except for screw drive).
Table of Functions by Mount / Lens lineup/ Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

The PLM motor used in the new HD55-300 lens is not possible to use for DA*300 as it has a focusing lens group that is too heavy for that type of motor. Most likely they will use the newly developed ring SDM motor from DFA* 50 (which also is a KAF4 mount lens). I believe this ring SDM motor will be the new standard motor for future star lenses.
Sorry, that's what typing fast & sloppy on my phone get's me... left out a comma... KAF4, motor, ... etc. and I meant new motor by that comment

As to Adam and others comments about AW being beefier than WR... it made me curious, so after googling DA* lens mounts and AW for an embarrassingly long minute or two with ZERO confirmation one way or the other about any differences in the lens mount itself, I got off my lazy butt and looked at my own DA*300mm and guess what... it DOES have an O-Ring on the lens mount, it is just a BLACK o-ring and not very noticeable at all, even when you go looking for it.

The red o-ring on the DFA100WR stands out like a red nose on a circus clown in comparison, saying "here I am, look at me, I'm weather sealed!". As bad as that sounds, the red o-ring might actually have the side effect of being a better bit of marketing.

Eric